User
User
Some ideas:

1. To have a box (in center view) populated by
1.a. The most recent topics (from entire board!), with x shown
1.b. The most recent replies (from entire board!), with x shown
1.c. Posts from the most active Topics

2. To have a box that shows:
2.a. Posts that are unread by you! (from entire board)
2.b. Posts that are unread replies to topics started by you! (from entire board)

Just my 2 cents
Tim

Sponsored Links
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Those sound useful, but would cause major queries and page loading delays on busy or large sites.

That 70's Guy
That 70's Guy
Aglavalin is correct in that this will create quite a load for the server to deal with plus increase the page generation times. Some of the requests are doable and even one of them already exists (1.a. = currentthreadspal.php) and the last ones (2a -2b) would take more time and effort than I care to dispense towards them.

All of the ideas have one thing in common which I don't like. They all pull information from the w3t_Posts table as do a number of already existant boxes. It is these types of boxes that cause heavier loads, especially on large sites. I don't think anyone really wants to add another 5 to 20 seconds on to their generation times? (depending on database size, of course)

I'll keep these ideas in mind if I find myself looking for something else to do though.

User
User
Hmm

Just one thing though

[] Some of the requests are doable and even one of them already exists (1.a. = currentthreadspal.php)

Do you mean that the currentthreadspal can be placed in center view AND show the contens of the 1- x current threads? This was what I meant. Right now you have to evaluate which forum you want on the frontpage. For this purpose you've got 3 choices. Bit I would like the PAL to place the content of the most current threads on the frontpage.

Tim

That 70's Guy
That 70's Guy
Yes the "currentthreadspal.php" can be placed in the center of the page and it does list the current threads, not posts, that have been made in the last 24 hours. I'm not sure which version of IIP you are using but current threads will be pulled from all boards the viewer has access to unless your using cache and "force public" which will limit the current threads to those boards that everyone has read access to. In IIP's configure panel simply select the middle column radio button to place current threads into the center of the page and use the dropdown menu next to it to select it's location in the center.

Sponsored Links
User
User
It still only show a list, not the content itself, which is my point...oh well
Tim

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
isaac
isaac
California
Forum Statistics
Forums63