Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#227726 11/11/2002 8:46 PM
Addict
Addict
A fanatic phpBB user trashed threads because it didn't show new PM:s on all pages (and that the control panel had a lame name or something like that). I went to phpbb.org to see how it looked on that system but as it turns out, neither does phpbb, it was only a mod. =]

He then started to blabber about things that it wasn't possible to customize threads' look, doing addons, and also about it only being in perl etc. So I stopped paying attention to him.

But he might have a point about the PM-bit. Not everyone notices the flashing icon, and it might not be perfectly clear that PM:s are found in the control panel. Adding some PM info on every page will probably add an extra query, but somebody might be interested in it?

Sponsored Links
Kahuna
Kahuna
What about Josh's modification for the popup window for the PM's. I have seen that feature also in Burning board and it looks nice.

However when I installed Josh's mod for the popup window for the PM's it got thumbs down (sorry Josh) from all of my users, since they were used to the small flashing envelope. My system has more than 2.5K PM's for 60 users (not bad )

I would say that if we need to put PM information on all pages it would have to be something like the mod for the Who's Online at the top of the board - which is on all screens.

Warm regards

Nikos

Nikos
MTO Offline
Addict
Addict
[] (and that the control panel had a lame name or something like that) [/]
Maybe your language file hasnt been updated, what used to be called "Control Panel" is now "My Home", would that be better? It could be called "My Data", "my info", "my office", or something like that...

As for the visibility of the PM section in all pages... maybe we could have a "Mailbox" link. And when you have a new PM waiting for you the "Mailbox" is replaced by a "New PM's waiting for you" link (with the flashing envelope).

Addict
Addict
Yes, I know about Josh's mod, but I will never put a popup on my site, not even if it is an option.

Having a box with PM info on top of the board sounds much better and more along the lines of what I was thinking of. It would only need about the same info as the PM box on My Home I think.

I'm not sure that I would use a mod like this, but it could be useful, it would probably be up to my users if I should use it.

The PM section really needs work IMHO, the instant ubbcode boxes is a start, but there should be limits on the list, it should be possible to search the PM:s etc. I have done mods for this actually, but they aren't updated for 6.1 yet.

Addict
Addict
Yeah, it's probably in the swedish files. But as far as I'm concerned it doesn't really matter, My Home isn't any more clear than Control panel, and since most people are used to control panel it might just as well stay that way.

The link idea might be something to think about though.

Sponsored Links
Guru
Guru
Haven't done too much on the PM section yet because I think we'll eventually totally rework it. Make it more like private threads, so you can see your messages in context to who you are talking to. Still not exactly sure how it will be reworked yet, but it will gear towards that direction.

UBB.threads Developer

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
isaac
isaac
California
Forum Statistics
Forums63