Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#228591 11/29/2002 11:50 AM
That 70's Guy
That 70's Guy
I'm going over RSS (Really Simple Syndication) news feed documentation so IIP can provide these types of feeds. More information on these feeds can be found at http://backend.userland.com/rss

I'll be using the 2.0 specifications and eventually figure out the proper language codes to match .threads available languages in the feeds. I was using the older .91 specs for a very basic feed pulled from IIP's news section but I have decided to build on this with 2.0 as .91 has some limiting factors.

What I intend on doing is allowing boards that are viewable by the public to also provide a related news feed. Users with a news aggregator will be able load the recent posts subjects with links to the post.

Since IIP will be able to generate RSS feeds I think it should be able to grab and parse external feeds as well. What this means is that IIP will be able to display news from other sites that provide an RSS feed. An example of publicly available news feeds can be found at MoreOver.com:
http://w.moreover.com/categories/category_list_xml.html
Related link:
http://w.moreover.com/main_site/aboutus/terms.html

Now back to why I posted this... lol

Is providing news feeds on a "per public board" basis worth doing?

Sponsored Links
I think it would be very !

That 70's Guy
That 70's Guy
I put it in yesterday. Seems to be working well too.
The external news feeds are cached so as to not have to pull the file off host servers at every page load. (may tick someone off otherwise) lol

Faster load times that way anyhow. I really like the direction you are taking IIP. It's a very professional product!

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Great idea Dave

You might check with some people in the know regarding rss 2.0, I was under the impression that there's lots of problems with it. Fire an ICQ to Charles Capps, he's been working a while with it for ubb 6.4 coming out soon

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Sponsored Links
That 70's Guy
That 70's Guy
The 2.0 feed IIP creates validates right now.

One of the issues I have heard mention is that not many of the aggregators are able to handle 2.0 as of yet.

2.01 is the most current I believe as far as RSS goes.

I'll send Charles a PM asking what problems they had run into. I have noticed a couple little quirks I have to smooth out as far as formatting any text in the descriptions go.

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
It had something to do with there being a huge 'war' in the rss camp about the direction of the standard. It's as if 2.0 might be dropped in favor of something else I believe ubb.classic's support is the .92 and another (can't remember right now )

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
That 70's Guy
That 70's Guy
I think the war is some are saying that there is no need for RSS and that XHTML is all that is needed... Mark of http://www.diveintomark.org makes some valid points against using XHTML and I tend to agree with what he says.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
isaac
isaac
California
Forum Statistics
Forums63