Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#229239 12/12/2002 1:36 PM
Hacker
Hacker
Not having any luck finding a mod for a Recycle Bin (where deleted posts go when deleted).

Anyone?

Sponsored Links
gailg #229240 12/12/2002 8:13 PM
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
We just have a "graveyard" type forum that is turned on for mods and admin only. Instead of deleting, we just move the threads there, then have them delete after a certain number of days (we actually wait a month.) I know there are others here who do something similar.

Or do you already know about this type of thing and you really want a mod that would be like a recycle bin?

[:"red"]Lisa[/]
JacquiL #229241 12/12/2002 9:47 PM
I as well create a special forum no one can see and place all posts where I pull for violation and other stuff I see fit. I also maintain an archive that everyone can see. I hate deleting anythread as once its gone its gone.

sf49rminer #229242 12/16/2002 9:04 PM
Hacker
Hacker
Moving would work; I hadnt considered the obvious!

gailg #229243 12/24/2002 12:35 PM
There was a nifty recycle bin mod for .Classic that stored a copy of edited and deleted posts.

I had intended on installing it, but have since moved to Threads. It WOULD be a nice mod to have.

Reason I say this is because of the following scenario:

Person posts a rather nasty/rude post. Has never done this before. He was apparently having an off day and said some bad things.

A few users saw the post and emailed myself and the moderator of the forum, but by the time we'd gotten there, there were a number of replies and the original poster had edited his post to something completely different from what he'd originally posted.

Fortunately, the text was emailed to me so I was able to prove that he posted and deal with the person, but everyone who came after and saw the thread without the original post had no idea what had happened.

Long story short, the idea is a good one. Even with good moderators you can't catch everything that happens on your board before it explodes.

I'd like to see this mod for Threads, if it's even possible. I'd certainly use it!

Sponsored Links
#229244 12/24/2002 9:58 PM
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
I understand that scenario completely, which is the reason I removed the ability to edit without marking it as edited. (So whenever someone edits it always says, "Edited by . . .")

Don't think of this as arguing I'm just trying to understand it a little better. Classic had a feature/hack that stored a copy of every post that was edited or deleted? Having never run classic this may be a dumb question, but it stored them where? Like in a forum that wasn't visible?

What I don't understand is this: the "delete" section of ubbt basically runs a mysql query to delete the row from the posts table, right? So if you changed this to not really delete, but copy it to a trashbin forum or something similar, how would you ever truly delete something other than manually? Or would it be set up like "delete" really executes a move of the post to the trashbin, and then "really delete" would actually remove the row from the mysql table.

Would it work to just remove the ability to delete from anyone other than an admin? Maybe have the button "delete" linked to something other than delete.php, where it would really just copy it to a trashbin. Then if an admin wanted to actually delete the post, they could go into the admin panel and use "expire threads".

Maybe I should just go back to wrapping presents.

JacquiL #229245 12/25/2002 10:37 PM
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
[]Would it work to just remove the ability to delete from anyone other than an admin? Maybe have the button "delete" linked to something other than delete.php, where it would really just copy it to a trashbin. Then if an admin wanted to actually delete the post, they could go into the admin panel and use "expire threads".
[/]

This is what I'm thinking of eventually doing, when I get time. Let the delete function for Mods really "move" to the recycle bin forum. Then the admin can review and delete from that forum.

I've implimented this now... except delete function is still there. I've just instructed my mods to "move" rather than delete. But with 6.2 I was planning on hacking this to domovepost.php with a pre set forum keyword of "recycle".

Daine #229246 12/29/2002 12:21 AM
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
I guess the delete part wasn't as difficult for me to grasp as the edit. How would you be able to do this with the edit function? Would you have to basically make the edit function create a copy of the post in a seperate forum before it made any changes to the post? The delete part isn't really a problem, since we never delete, just move. But the edit feature would be helpful, I just can't see how to make it work.

JacquiL #229247 12/29/2002 1:09 AM
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Yeah, I'm not quite sure how to copy a post... before you edit.

I asked Rick once about a feature to put the same thread in multiple forums. He sorta indicated that it wasn't easy to try and copy a thread.

will need to ponder that one. Should be doable though.

JacquiL #229248 01/09/2003 9:23 AM
Sorry, hadn't been following this thread.

To answer Lisa_P's question, yes the .Classic hack used a private, admin only forum to track all the deleted and edited posts.

Was pretty nifty.

I'd try to figure it out, but right now I'm working on integrating a roster into my Threads and that's going to take a while.

Sponsored Links
#229249 01/26/2003 12:22 PM
IN the grand scheme of things..the Classic Recycle Bin was no more than a forum that nobody could see, and the link at the bottom of the page was re-worked to "move" a thread there (and bypassing the normal "move" choices of either leaving the original moved thread where it is and closing it). We'll go down the route specified above, extremebikini...call me!

Last edited by Vipermad; 01/26/2003 12:23 PM.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
isaac
isaac
California
Forum Statistics
Forums63