Next Thread
Print Thread
Rating: 6
#229356 12/16/2002 5:25 AM
bmh
Power User
Power User
Hi every one,

I am working currently to hack Ubb.Threads 6.1, and change all text area to be WYSIWYG&(What You See Is What You Get)

It will be 70% faster than using functions such as Do_Markup & Undo_Markup in ubb.inc.php

I used shareware script which cost 20 USD per copy (per domain)

but i believe that there is many free scripts which provide the same functions ....

what i want to say is, it's a great idea if Rick can add this feature in the next version

to see demo of what is want :
http://www.oomm.net/wysiwyg/test.php

Regards,
BMH

Sponsored Links
kog #229357 12/16/2002 9:55 AM
WYSIWYG Editor does it work accross all browsers now not just ie ?

kog #229358 12/16/2002 10:12 AM
MTO Offline
Addict
Addict
This one is free and also works on Netscape.

I would love to see this. The only fallback might be that HTML would need to be turned on for posting.

As more and more sites/forums start adding WYSIWYG editors, it is going to become an important feature users will demand. It makes their postings lots easier and lots nicer!

D_Wolfwood #229359 12/26/2002 11:49 AM
MTO Offline
Addict
Addict
Here are some more Free/GPL Javascript based WYSIWYG editors I found:

htmlArea
Richtext editor
ProtoPad
scHTML Editor
Easy Web Editor
TypeTool
WYSIWYG Editor Javascript

Would be nice for someone to integrate one of them into UBBThreads.

D_Wolfwood #229360 12/26/2002 12:15 PM
That 70's Guy
That 70's Guy
I was hoping these would be actual java applets but it would appear that they are all based on DHTML and in some cases Internet Explorer specific.

I would think that the majority, if not all, of these editors can be added by editing the templates of .threads since they are based on html and javascript.

Sponsored Links
MTO Offline
Addict
Addict
It would probably need a browser detect to decide what form to send.

Checkout Bitflux Editor for a cool open source one that works on Netscape.

And take a look at this list of wysiwyg editors I just found.

That 70's Guy
That 70's Guy
Thanks MTO.

That's a great list. I'll have to go over it more when I get the time. I still tend to lean towards http://www.editize.com and their applet since it is cross browser and creates xhtml compliant code. It's pricey but perhaps we all could get together and purchase a block of 10 at about half the cost, I believe.

sjsaunders #229363 12/27/2002 11:56 AM
MTO Offline
Addict
Addict
Editize seems pretty cool, but to me ideally it wouldn't be java based. Users (I myself) often flee from places where Java is used as it slows my computer.

My latest find:
Text Editor Component v1.1
- Free.
- Compatible with any platform & Browser that has flash (99%?)
- Small size, small download, and very cache friendly (flash caches very well).
- Simple & easy to use. At this time it does not have the image attach, though.

There should be another flash based one, very recommended by many sites, here: Stuart Schoneveld's Flash-based Text Editor, though right now the link at the site is broken.

D_Wolfwood #229364 12/27/2002 12:18 PM
That 70's Guy
That 70's Guy
That's getting better.

It needs to generate XHTML compliant code though. I don't like the idea that the actual html code is not kept out of the user's reach either as they will be able to add unwanted code. All in all it does look promising.

May have to keep an eye on it's development. It's use would also be template related in that anyone should be able to install it by editing their templates.

I still lean towards the java applet editors because I believe they can be more powerfull than flash. They keep improving flash with things such as the action script so at some point they may be quite comparable. One thing to think about, and I mentioned it in Chit Chat, is that Microsoft may end up with Macromedia. Will they use this as more leverage to crush competing browsers?

Veteran
Veteran
I use htmlArea from IT - on a section of my site - and it works very well - by default browsers than cannot display the WYSIWYG box get a standard data entry box.

Version 3 is currently being written and will be a complete rewrite and support Mozilla 1.3 as well as IE, and I know that the guys there are always open to suggestions as to how to improve their product.

Ian

Fans Focus - Focusing on Fans of Sport

(Okay - mainly football (the British variety wink at the moment - but expanding all the time....)
Sponsored Links
Gorlum #229366 12/27/2002 6:07 PM
That 70's Guy
That 70's Guy
I did like that editor when I viewed it from MTO's list above. If they can make it work with Mozilla and probably Opera 7 it will be one of the better DHTML editors out there.

Ask them to consider making the code that is generated XHTML compliant. This is another feature I look for.

Veteran
Veteran
They are working towards XHTML compliancy - hopefully for version 3.

I will pass on any comments to the Dave over at IT.

Ian

(Okay - mainly football (the British variety wink at the moment - but expanding all the time....)
Gorlum #229368 12/27/2002 7:41 PM
MTO Offline
Addict
Addict
Sounds really good to me.
To me, for now, using a wysiwyg form like this in IE while serving Mozilla compatible browsers a normal textarea would be the best option.

Do you think htmlArea will continue being free once they reach v.3? I see they are charging for some other products...

Veteran
Veteran
No - I wouldn't expect them to charge. They have actually relaxed the rules of it, no longer requiring a "About this editor" button to be displayed.

Ian

Gorlum #229370 12/29/2002 1:41 PM
Code Monkey
Code Monkey
this would be a very cool mod to add

bmh
Power User
Power User
I already changed my posting/replying of my ubbthreads and it's work greats , but ths only problems i founds is Users who have windows 98 with Explorer 5 or less cannot use this option .

and i am planning to give the users the ability to have option to choose between the (HTML Editor or The Normal Textarea box)

so it will be more easier for thos who can use that feature.

I want to give u my hack but the main problem is i am using shareware script so i have to search for free one to make this hack sharable

Thanks
BMH

kog #229372 01/03/2003 5:16 PM
Lurker
Lurker
Hi folks, here's a little more info on htmlArea. It does indeed only work with IE 5.5+ for Windows right now. That's because it's based on the contentEditable library that Microsoft includes with their browser.

Unfortunately, this library doesn't work on IE for the Mac - even though it's built into the PC version. Nag Microsoft, maybe they'll listen you you.

Our big goal with Ver 3 will be to make the application cross-platform so that it works with both IE and Mozilla, but is a lot harder than it sounds. The word on the street right now is that version 1.3 of Mozilla may actually support the contentEditable functionality but we'll see how seamless it is; otherwise, we'll try to rebuild it from scratch. And I'm not sure how long that will take.

Regarding the price, it is indeed free. It uses a BSD-style Open Source license, so it's free to use for whatever you like - this isn't some bait-and-switch. We use the application in our other software, which we do charge for, but we completely understand the Open Source movement, and support it when we can.

Good luck with your project.

Fraser Cain
interactivetools.com

#229373 01/03/2003 6:01 PM
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Thanks for the "official" reply. Perhaps we'll see cool stuff on the horizon.

#229374 01/03/2003 7:33 PM
That 70's Guy
That 70's Guy
Thanks for the insight.

I'm looking forward to seeing your next release.

#229375 01/04/2003 11:51 AM
MTO Offline
Addict
Addict
Yes, thanks for the the information on the future of htmlArea, sounds very good.

On the future of Mozilla I found these two threads 1, 2. I just wonder about their timeframe.

What I mostly wonder is about when it will be possible to create something like this that works on both IE and Mozilla, if it should really ever be possible. For now, I would think the best way to go is sending different forms upon browser detection.

But this would take us to more questions...
For security reasons, I am guessing these wysiwyg forms would be set to not allow custom editing of the html source, directly, as to avoid malicious javascript and so on... The use of these forms would also mean HTML would be enabled in these boards... Looking at things as they are right now: assuming this was shown in IE, what would be shown in Mozilla/Netscape? A form where they could directly edit the HTML? What they should get is the normal markup form with no HTML enabled... Too complicated?

MTO Offline
Addict
Addict
Great news!!!
The htmlArea opensource project is doing great... They now have an alpha version that works in IE + Mozilla. I tested it, and love it!
Click here to read more and see it!

Lurker
Lurker
Yep, we've just put htmlArea 3.0 out the door in an alpha state. Come by and give it a try. You can see it in Mozilla 1.3b.

http://www.interactivetools.com/products/htmlarea/

Fraser Cain
interactivetools.com

#229378 03/15/2003 6:34 AM
Hi

Htmlarea - has anyone got this running with threads yet?

Could this ..............
[- IE 5.5+ (Windows)/Mozilla 1.3 (all OS) cross platform functionality.]
be a problem as there is a lot of ie 5.0 user out there?

What happens with them?

I have just looked at it and hav'nt a done anything yet as I was hoping someone here would give me a jump start as it looks brill.

My members like bells and whistles

Thanks for any reply

Thanks

Liahona

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
JAISP
JAISP
PA
Forum Statistics
Forums63