Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#231350 12/31/2002 11:02 AM
couple of my mods asked for this LOL
"user ignore" feature

not sure if this would be a good idea but hey some users would like to not see some other peoples post

Sponsored Links
The hard thing about this one is hiding it from these people. They can simply logout and if there IP is dynamic instead of static it would be nearly impossible to block them as they would simply reigster a new name.

hehe well yes.
but I want this hack for everyone to use

mods can't be blocked or admins
but every now & then you get a user that you really don't care to see his/her post .
I know I'v seen hacks like this out other forums just not threads hehe

Happy New year everyone I'll have an extra drink for everyone

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
I could see a site wide user ignore feature. Similar to banning. Only admins (and maybe mods) could see posts that a site-wide ignored user made. Others wouldn't see them.

Now if you gave users the option to ignore specific users... that would be great. And we've talked about this. But the tough part becomes how you deal with the thread in threaded view. If you have ignored a user... how do you deal with a broken thread?

Or do you see a generic post with **ignored** in the body as a placeholder so that threads don't get broken. ???

Addict
Addict
[]But the tough part becomes how you deal with the thread in threaded view.[/]

One approach would be to use a "dual threaded" structure, analogous to that used for doubly-linked lists. So each post could have two parents. But that's complicated.

Sponsored Links
One still can't get around that person logging and seeing their posts gone.

[]One still can't get around that person logging and seeing their posts gone.[/]
if I ignore you for instance you would never know it because you would have to be logged in as me to see I'm ignoring your post...
not site wide ignore. but each user will have the option to ignore one or 2 users that get on there nervse...
it's just a thought. could do it the way we have been doing it & thats to simply skip over the users post I want to ignore

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
So if it were user ignored.....
If the ignored post were part of a thread..... would you see a post from them as a placeholder with the body of "**Ignored**" so that the thread wouldn't break?

Then what if someone quotes an ignored post? Ugh... everytime I start this one, I get a headache. LOL

Dslam,

What I mean is that say I am the person being ignored and I post a reply to a thread. I would see it only. Now everyone else would not be able to see that post in theory. Now what I am saying is all I would have to do is log out to see the post dissapear. Then like most people they come back and register again. It would take some good amount of code to do this and then it really is not a deterant as I think the people would only register more names. I have seen this many times when you ban someone. There is no full proof way to ignore people as they always find a way to come back and haunt you. You could ban entire IP ranges to block them but then risk making other users mad.

Journeyman
Journeyman
I think Dslam and omegatron are talking about 2 different ignore features

JoshPet, I think your idea is good. Ignored posts should be replaced by a small row (Single line height, Username in left column, "**Ignored**" in right column.

I don't think you should worry about people quoting ignored posts. It will happen some and people will just have to deal with it. It's too much of a hassle to try and filter anything in them .

I think this could be a great feature if done right.

Sponsored Links
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Yeah, there's 2 levels of it.

Omegatron is talkng about when an Admin sets a user up as Ignored by the whole site. They could log out, or reregister, and see that their posts weren't there. You could link this to the IP address similar to how bans are done. It's not perfect, but better.

Dslam is talking about a user choice to ignore somebody. If Omegatron doesn't want to read my posts, he could ignore me. He would only see the single line placeholder that 3dshroom mentions in place of my posts. Everyone else would see my posts.

Addict
Addict
In the version of hack you are talking about it could be possible to show the posts by the ignored user to both the user himself as well as to those who are not logged in. Then he would have to log in as a new user to find out that his posts aren't shown to the registered users.

Daine #231362 01/02/2003 12:14 PM
Thanks JoshPet & 3DSHROOMS you guy's understand what I was saying hehe

If I choose to ignore a poster it does not mean that everyone else ignores the same user LOL ..

oh I can see this being a head ache to code

LOL There you go Gardener is dreaming up the hack already.

Yeah I see what dslam is talking about now. I was talking a much broader range.

Lets see I dont like this guy this week lets ignore him.
Just funny all in all. If I have someone who breaks the rules he is warned. If he continues he is banned.

Hacker
Hacker
Well, you guys got me all confused.

I as a user would like to be able to say "Ignore that user" and then not see any of their posts. Or, if I had to see something, a placehold with an unignore link. Ignoring a user would be person preference.

I believe VB has this feature as I sometimes get a message that I cant read a message because I am ignoring the user (which I didnt think I was, so maybe doesnt work right).

yes yes exacly.

Hacker
Hacker
Just a thought.

Add a TEXT field to the Users database "IgnoreList". On a post is a "Ignore This User" icon. Pushing the button appends the U_Number onto the user's IgnoreList field (i.e. $IgnoreList .= ",$PostID";).

When doing show*.php grab the value of that user's Ignore field and make it into an array. Then, when viewing threads do an array_search( $UserIDOfThread, $IgnoreListArray ); and if there is a match then we put either put in a placehold which lets the user reread the thread with IgnoresOff or just not print the thread.

Seems simple enough to code, can anyone see anything I might have missed before I give it a try?

Journeyman
Journeyman
A way to remove users from the ignore list would be nice.

Journeyman
Journeyman
*bump*
curious as to if anyone is working on this mod at all?

The way i see it possilby working is like this:

an additional field would have to be added to Users table for ignore list... this field could be much like the groupid field and could store multiple values like
'-12345-' hence multiple "ignored" user numbers could be set here.

then in showflat and showthreaded you would add in a if/else that runs against the ignore list array, and the poster of said post... at that point, you could treat it just like if a user has signature view turned off or on, and you would simply replace $body with '--user ignored--' or some type of text.

maybe i'm making this too simple in my head, but it woudl be nice to have buttons to mute and unmute users, or the option to just view that particular post.

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
I was asked by some people on our board if I'd bump this up and encourage someone to try this. And to add a 'pretty please'. []http://www.fishingfordeals.com/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/]

[:"red"]Lisa[/]
I second the lisa P Motion..... Oh what a great feature this would be. I would like the mod to have a toggle on off feature for the board users in case the ignored user says something of substance..

Kelly #231371 03/28/2003 11:46 PM
Journeyman
Journeyman
I was just asked by the members on my board about this too.

Having it so you could choose to not see posts from certain users would be awesome. An ignore button under each users Avatar profile pic on their posts to the board would be perfect. (Or some kind of link)

In the messages from users you are ignoring, it would say "You are ignoring this user... You could CLICK HERE to read this post anyway if you want..." and then open the post in a new small pop up window if you choose to read it.

I will be following this thread closely. Hope someone could look into this... (Thanks to anyone who gets into it!)

Mike

darenu #231372 04/08/2003 11:45 PM
Power User
Power User
I've also been getting request for this

"We're sorta like the 7-11. We're not always doin' business, but we're always open"
Guru
Guru
We'll get this in as a standard part of 6.4. I know, I can see it already....when will that be out? Let me answer you now.... I have no clue, since 6.3 isn't even out yet

UBB.threads Developer
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Yay!

Journeyman
Journeyman
Good to hear! thumbsup

Sally #231376 04/09/2003 10:02 PM
Good to hear, because I was about to sit down and write a mod for it.. hehe

Journeyman
Journeyman
By all means, please continue writing the mod...

Looks like scream wont be getting to it in a million years...

darenu #231378 04/09/2003 11:15 PM
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
he he

Are you kidding.... haven't you heard the joke that you can change your underware by the release schedule.

Have faith.

Continue? I hadn't started yet, really.. was just thinking about the approach.

Right now I've got other things to do though, I'm glad it'll be coded in.

Cool deal.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
hatter
hatter
USA
Forum Statistics
Forums63