Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
I think it's really best if you have at least your own channel.... but there are infinate number of channels and chat servers to choose from.

You might also try the Raidersoft chat mod.... for free, they allow you to setup your own room (www.raidersoft.com) and then you won't have to worry about other people's nicknames.

Sponsored Links
User
User
Yeah, that was our second choice.

But I think we made this work. We registered a channel, but then to make our username/nicknames more unique, we had the chat login append a unique designator at the end of each username. Like this, in jchat.php:

// Append TUS designator to username
$irc_nick_suffix = "TUS";
$irc_nick = "$irc_nick$irc_nick_suffix";

("TUS" is the initials of our board and it's what everyone calls it for short.)

And I'm encouraging users to register that nickname so they don't have to worry about getting changed to "guest."

I've updated the first post in this thread with instructions on how to change the chat channel that you use. Odd that I missed it the last time I went looking through the file

As for the user names already existing on Dalnet or some other IRC service: That's normal behavior for IRC chat, so I didn't include it in the instructions.

xtc Offline
pjirc (www.pjirc.com) might be a better solution.

I used to run jpilot's applet...

PJirc's interface is MUCH nicer, it's FREE and it comes with source code so it could be modified to update "who's online".

It also solves the problem of duplicate nicknames. If a nickname is already in use you can have it automatically append a random number to the end of the nickname to make it unique.

The primary reason I first looked at it is it can be called from anywhere, the license doesn't lock it down to one domain, so you could set up a chat portal for other sites.

Duane

Sounds cool

Sponsored Links
Addict
Addict
Thanks. I took a look at PJIRC, and tried to install it (version 1.84) on my server. It looks like it has a couple of limitations:

1) The web server on which it's installed also has to be the IRC server to which it connects.
2) It doesn't include a security certificate, which might disturb users.

I may be wrong about these two issues. I spent some time reading the FAQ, looking through posts on their forum, and using trial and error, but was unable to get it to work on my server.

I will give it a try myself. However looking at the screenshots and trying their demo on their server I higly doubt I would be able to say that it is more feature rich. JPilot is a stable reliable cheap as well as proven application.

xtc Offline
I've been running it for several weeks (switched from Jpilot because I moved to a different domain name and couldn't transfer the license to the new domain) and have had a lot of users tell me they think it's better than Jpilot.

You can always get your own certificate to sign it. freessl.com has certificates as low as $35/year. I just run my own irc server.

It also supports being on multiple channels simultaniously, dcc, ctcp and more. There's better control over what channels a user can, or can't, access and even if they can leave specific channels.

I modified the scripts to work with it on my site. You can check it out at www.moparpages.com.

login: guest
pass: threadsdev

Duane

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
I was in the chat room here, but when I tried to go back to the main index, it left me in the chat room. To get out of it I had to go to another site and come back.

Addict
Addict
This site isn't using this mod, is it?

Sponsored Links
Yes I had the same problem the chat room does look cool though

Addict
Addict
PJIRC version 1.90 was recently released, and it now works on any server - you don't need to have your own IRC server.

User
User
I thought I did everything right, but all I get is a blank gray applet when I start the progie. What am I missing? I'm running jIRC v2.8.4 (Registered) on UBB.Threads v6.4 ....

Last edited by ScriptZ Man; 04/04/2005 12:29 PM.
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
Forum Statistics
Forums63
Topics37,573
Posts293,925
Members13,849