Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#234116 01/25/2003 4:20 PM
Journeyman
Journeyman
I can't seem to find a thread which addresses my specific question, so I'm starting a new one. Sorry if this is redundant.

I'm using Threads 6.2.1, IIP 5.3, and Photopost 3.2.1. I'd like to put a PAL box on my Entrance page which displays one random photo (thumbnail) from the ones available in my PP gallery. Perhaps it could be captioned with something like, "Visit the Gallery", etc.

I've found threads on this board with instructions to integrate PP with other, earlier versions of IIP and earlier versions of Threads. I couldn't get those instructions to work with my configuration. Are there updated instructions posted anywhere, or could I politely request them?!

Sponsored Links
Okay here you go I wrote up directions for you. Click the attachment above.

MAKE SURE TO FILL IN THE CONFIG OPTIONS IN THE CODE I POSTED FOR YOU WITH YOUR SPECFIC DATABASE INFORMATION.
Attachments
66244-PhotopostPALBOX.txt (0 Bytes, 58 downloads)

Journeyman
Journeyman
Thanks so much -- it was easy to do and looks great!

My goldfish and I bow at your feet

jbiz #234119 01/25/2003 10:04 PM
Don't meantion it. Glad that I could help!

That 70's Guy
That 70's Guy
Thanks for lending a hand Chuck Much appreciated!

Sponsored Links
User
User
I've missed something. I tried the above and its pulling the title and contributor info into the custom pal, but not the picture. If you go to my IIP page at http://www.coreplanets.com and look to the far right column, last box in that column you'll see what I'm talking about. No errors appear to be generated, and if its pulling the title and contributor then it should pull the pic by my way of thinking, but its not.

Journeyman
Journeyman
I had the same problem, and then noticed that the path to the thumbnail wasn't correct in my custompal file. I'd listed the path as www.mydomain.com/photopost, but the correct path to my thumbs is www.mydomain.com/photopost/data. It's set in the section that comes after

// Start forming the Thumbnail Name

Don't know if that will help you, but it fixed my issue.

Yes one must make sure all path's are filled out.

Journeyman
Journeyman
can we specify a image size, I would like to display a larger image.

Gill,

That exact size is being controlled by you not this hack.

All this does is pull the Thumbnail. You need to go into your Photopost admin panel and under Options set the thumbnail size to what you want and then under scan database select redo thumbnails. Your thumbnails will be updated to the size ratio you specified.

Sponsored Links
Journeyman
Journeyman
Thanks I will take a look at that, I was displaying a image on my front page with a size of eight= "320 "width= "420" but It was just looking at a image I uploaded everyday as a random photo. I dont know if I want to change the size of the thumbs to 320 x 420 I will play with it and see what happens. Thanks for your imput.

This as you know is in a PAL box so you do not want the image to large. Now the only exeption might be to set thumbnails to like 200-250px is placed in the center column.

Journeyman
Journeyman
Yeah, I had it in the center colum, I increased the thumb size to 200 thats a bit better, as least I dont manually have to upload them each day

Nope only drawback is of course your thumbnails are a bit bigger.

jbiz #234130 01/26/2003 12:08 PM
User
User
[]I had the same problem, and then noticed that the path to the thumbnail wasn't correct in my custompal file. I'd listed the path as www.mydomain.com/photopost, but the correct path to my thumbs is www.mydomain.com/photopost/data. It's set in the section that comes after

// Start forming the Thumbnail Name

Don't know if that will help you, but it fixed my issue. [/]

coy7, thank you so much! That is exactly the problem I had, I was missing "data" off the end of the URL.

Number one problem from the get go is not setting paths correctly

I am glad to see that both of you solved your problem without getting too much of a migraine.

How do I define which catagory to pull from. I only want it to pull from catagory 2 but it pulls from other areas I don't want featured in the palbox

I can hard code the catagory but it still pulls the other images, then I get the red x because the address is wrong.

//Define some variables
$photo_id = $query_data[id];
$theid = $query_data[userid];
$theuser = $query_data[user];
$thecat = $query_data[cat];
$title = $query_data[title];
$bigimage = $query_data[bigimage];

got me stumped again... need to fix where it queries for picture.

http://www.steelheader.net/photopost/index.php
but only want the steelhead pictures to be shown in the box. (catagory 2)

Smilesforu,

Your thinking too much. It's alot easier than your making it. You just need to modify the query with an extra line.

FIND:

WHERE bigimage!=''

ADD BELOW:

AND cat='502'

502 is just an example of cat numbers. You would replace this number with what you category is. This will only pull the random images from that category.

Thanks... my limited programming skills are showing. Worked great.

Would you add if you wanted more catagories to draw from?

AND cat='502' or '503'

WELL I am no expert. I just muddle through all this stuff but the following works although there might be a better way of doing it.

AND cat='502'
OR cat='503'

There is another way to do this as well. The Photopost Integration hack does it by PHP not through MYSQL query statements. Place this code if you like above the query

// leave blank for no customization, otherwise list cats you only want images to appear from
$forcats = "502,503";

if ($forcats) {
$forcats = "AND cat = '$forcats'";
}

THEN right before the ORDER BY statement stick this

$forcats

That should do it as well.

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Omegatron.... didn't think about multiple Categories when I tweaked that for you.

If that doesn't work for multiple categories, you might need to tweak it a bit more like this:

Code
// leave blank for no customization, otherwise list cats you only want images to appear from <br />$forcats = "502,503"; <br /><br />if ($forcats) { <br />$forcats = "AND cat in ($forcats)"; <br />} <br /><br />THEN right before the ORDER BY statement stick this <br /><br />$forcats <br /><br />

Then it should break apart the category numbers by the commas and search for them. <fingers crossed - untested>

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
badfrog
badfrog
somewhere on the coast of Maine
Forum Statistics
Forums63