Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Hey Mark,

GREAT work on this. I have one minor change I made, which was to make your category input fields 50 chars in width. The DB column is set to Varchar(50) but the fields are only 20, and I was losing data in long category titles.

Also, I was thinking that adding an ORDER field to the categories might be cool, so people could order the categories to appear how they want. If left NULL the default behaviour would be to sort alphabetically like you are already.

Not sure what the protocol is for development like this, and I certainly do not want to step on any toes, but if you want some help hammering some of this out, I have a few spare cycles. I am really interested in using this thing and just want to see it get fully-fledged ASAP!

Cheers,

Chris

"Some dream of doing great things, while others stay awake and get on with it."
      -- Anonymous
Sponsored Links
Some other look and feel ideas:

** Link approval screen layout could be a bit more cleanly displayed, and it would be nice to show what category the link is proposed in.

** Be great to be able to re-categorize a link upon approval if necessary

** Be great to have more than one category level

** Ability to edit category names without going into the backend

** Reformat successful link submission screen... the bold centered text is tough to read and get info out of

** I'd personally really like to see a lot of the code and SQL in the templates be offloaded into the appropriate PHP scripts just for cleanliness and readability

I am sure I will come up with some others, and please know I am NOT hammering on this at all... I think it is a great mod!

I will probably do a lot of this stuff myself, just because I'd like to take this live as soon as I can. If you want, I'd be more than happy to send over the changes for integration into future works.

Way to go, Mark!

-- Anonymous
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Thanks for the feedback! Actually, all items in your post are on the to do list, some of which I have already done, such as the renaming of cats and changing a links cat. The hold up is only my finding the time to code, and of course some studying in my php book. This will be my first script made from scratch that is for public release. I've done a few others, though very very simple, for personal use, so I want to try and make this as clean and professional as possible with good docs.

I really was trying to do something on my own, just so I could say I did it, but I realize that most people take help and add to their scripts whenever possible. Also, quite a few people, it seems, are waiting for this. So, that being said, I'll gladly accept any help I can get.

Thanks again for the input.

Mark

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Yeah, collabrative efforts work best. Even Threads itself gets feedback and such to it's scripts. But it makes it better.

Good deal, Mark. I totally understand about wanting to do it yourself, and am more than happy to wait for your work. If you are sure you do want the help, why don't you let me know either what you are working and and what you WANT to work on, and I can do things other than that, or you can just assign me some tasks and will work on those.

For starters, replace your last print statement with this to make the formatting of the successfully added link page a little more readable:

Code
 <br />print " <br />	<table border=0 width=95% align=center> <br />		<tr> <br />			<td> <br />				<table border=2 width=100% align=center> <br />					<tr> <br />						<td colspan=2>The url <b>$url</b> is valid.</td> <br />					</tr> <br />					<tr> <br />						<td colspan=2>Your submission was successful.&nbsp; It will be reviewed by site staff.</td> <br />					</tr> <br />					<tr> <br />						<td colspan=2>The following is what you submitted:</td> <br />					</tr> <br />					<tr> <br />						<td colspan=2>&nbsp;</td> <br />					</tr> <br />					<tr> <br />						<td width=15% nowrap><b>URL:</b></td> <br />						<td>$url</td> <br />					</tr> <br />					<tr> <br />						<td nowrap><b>Title:</b></td> <br />						<td>$title</td> <br />					</tr> <br />					<tr> <br />						<td nowrap><b>Description:</b></td> <br />						<td>$description</td> <br />					</tr> <br />					<tr> <br />						<td nowrap><b>Submitted By:</b></td> <br />						<td>$name</td> <br />					</tr> <br />					<tr> <br />						<td nowrap><b>Submitter's Email:</b></td> <br />						<td>$email</td> <br />					</tr> <br />				</table> <br />			</td> <br />		</tr> <br />	</table> <br />"; <br /> <br />

-- Anonymous
Sponsored Links
Code Monkey
Code Monkey
I feel like a little kid before Christmas. I know what I'm getting and simply can't wait to open it and play with it.

Remember what it was like when you were little! (ahem )

Keep up the good work man!

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
How's it going? I wanna play too

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Dunno... haven't heard back from Mark yet...

-- Anonymous
Hey Mark,

I have a bunch of this stuff done if you want to have a look at it... Mostly formatting and cleaning up some of the display stuff.

Cheers,

Chris

-- Anonymous
Hoping Mark comes back soon... I have several enhancements and bug-fixes I'd like to share but don't want to step on toes or have redone work he has already accomplished.

-- Anonymous
Sponsored Links
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Hi,
Sorry for the absence. Had some unexpected personal stuff come up. I haven't done anything in a while due to the unforeseen circumstances. That being said, I'm ready to get back to work. Can you post your changes, or do you need to send them to me? angler at fish-tails.net

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
cool good to see you back

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Hey Mark! Welcome back.

I will pack up what I have done so far. If you want to see the way things look, go to http://www.syngnathid.org/ubbthreads/links.php

I also added some admin functionality.

I will zip it up and email it to you with the things I was planning on doing to it for our site. Maybe we can make a little development schedule from that plus the work you wanted to do?

Cheers,

Chris

-- Anonymous
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Hi, Chris.

I just recieved your email and will take a look at the files later this evening while at work. I'll get back to you hopefully this evening.

Mark

Sounds good. Did you get a chance to check out the mods I made on our site?

-- Anonymous
Code Monkey
Code Monkey
looks really good man

Mark did a bang-up job on this thing!!!

-- Anonymous
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Sorry it took so long to get back. They've got me strapped here at work so finding time is a hit and miss sort of thing. I did look at your site and it looks great. I also looked at some of the files (not all of them yet) and have added some of the changes. (Some I had already done) I should have some free time tommorrow morning to incorporate the admin changes.

I have begun work on editing categories and links from the admin and have some ideas for some other stuff.

For those interested, I'll be doing a mod for myself which incorporates some of Amazon.com Web Services for affiliate associates. I was wondering if there were any thoughts on two versions of TLD, one called Lite, and one called Pro maybe? The Pro version would include code to work with the Amazon.com affiliate program pulling relevant titles based on the category the user is surfing and displaying them along with links. Something like what google does with sponsored links to the right of the list, only they would be book titles. What do you guys think? Obviously the Lite would be completed first and released. Anyway, just looking for some input on this idea.

Code Monkey
Code Monkey
fish, that would be cool.

Mark, let me know if there is anything you'd like me to work on to help you out.

-- Anonymous
Mark great idea here is my experience along that line with integration. I have used that style of pull for years on my site directory with cgi scripts. Biggest problem is the constant changes from amazon. Every time they changed it broke the script which sucked. Might be easier to add that in a custom header or footer. Or as a separate addon for the amazon feature.

Perhaps some more info on how you generate the links from amazon would help. If you plan on using the generic 5% links it wouldn't be as much trouble to keep up to date as trying to keep the 15% clickable links current.

Personally I would prefer amazon as a addon that we might intergrate better with the forums.

Yeah I use the amazon 5% link as a clickable link in my banner ad program. I agree I tried the 15% and they always broke this should be standable. I think making your core program gold should be tops. I will lend a hand where I have made some changes and send them on to you as well.

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Sounds good to me Finish the 'lite' version, then pull out the stops for a 'pro' version, people will pay for good software

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Would be nice to see the lite version in beta or final status. Any idea when this will be?

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Been working on it late last night and most of the day. I may have something this weekend.

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
great, thanks mark

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Yeah!

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
BETA version 1 is out. See the first post for the zip file.

Last edited by fishtails; 04/10/2003 10:56 PM.
Hey Mark,

I integrated most of your changes (exluding the ones that stomped on code I had already changed), and everthing looks good so far... but I cannot upload a new link. I either get the failed link page, even though the link works fine, or a blank screen.

After putting in a couple of echos, I am seeing the problem is right around line 69, where the call to @fopen is. The script just seems to stop there... Any ideas?

-- Anonymous
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Are you including a trailing slash when you submit the link? I don't know why, but on some peoples sites they have that problem. A link without the trailing slash for some reason doesn't work on all servers. Why, I don't know, but on my test site either/or works fine. I guess I need to put in a regex to make sure there is one before it validates the link. Any other problems?

I also just noticed that I forgot to change a couple of instances where syngnathid.org and the linksmeister is hardcoded in instead of a var. I'll have to post the fix this evening when I get home from work.

Anybody else notice anything wrong?

Sorry about that, Mark! Didn't realize I had left them in there myself.

As for that link, here it is:

http://www.hagen.com/uk/aquatic/manuals/fluve15.cfm

Works just fine in a browser, but the darned checker chokes on it everytime...

-- Anonymous
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
I just tried that link on my test site and it submitted OK.

[] The url http://www.hagen.com/uk/aquatic/manuals/fluve15.cfm is valid.
Your submission was successful. It will be reviewed by the syngnathid.org staff.
The following is what you submitted:

URL: http://www.hagen.com/uk/aquatic/manuals/fluve15.cfm
Title: Hagen for Pets
Description: With the introduction of BioMax Biological Filter Material, the aquarist’s choice of media and media placement has been widened. One of the greatest strengths of Fluval’s canister format is compatibility with a wide variety of filter media. Experimentation with media placement is the keystone of the filter line. Three individual chambers permit easy access to media, allowing the aquarist to replace spent media without disturbing the other layers.
Submitted By: Mark
[/]

I don't know why it won't work on your setup. When I package up the zip, it was directly from my test site, this way I know I don't screw something up and get a wrong file. What is your server configuration?

Can you try submitting it to our site?

I am not sure what kind of servers we are running on... I would assume Unix/Apache.

-- Anonymous
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
I just tried and I got an invalid url. I did notice something. It appears that the submit page is not the new one in the zip file.

Yeah, I took out some stuff from your page like email and username, since we only allow registered users to post links. I just pick up the info from their profile when they submit.

I am also running $title and $description through addslashes() because we were getting problems with quotes in link titles.

Other than that code is the same.

-- Anonymous
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
I'll have to add a check for magic quotes in the next update and have it handled properly. I don't know why it won't on your site though. Who is your host? Anybody have any ideas?

Last edited by fishtails; 04/10/2003 1:16 PM.
Server101 in Oz is our host... I will write to them and ask.

So far very few have failed, though... we 107 links in our gallery!

-- Anonymous
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Hey Mark, with the next update, can you keep the first post updated with the latest code? Will prevent a lotta silly questions from people who grab old code Just ask JustDave about that one

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Ten to one I bet on his server magic_quotes_gpc
are set to OFF. best to add the check to make it work either way.

Nope... just checked it... they are ON.

-- Anonymous
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
isaac
isaac
California
Forum Statistics
Forums63