Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hacker
Hacker
I've been running a ShoutCast stream on our site for a couple days and am working on running a few stations (at some point).

I've got a PAL that lists the current playing song. It parses the XML off the ShoutCast server.

If anyone is interested; I'll share the code.

http://www.viperalley.com/ubbthreads.php

Sponsored Links
Sounds cool Michael I will bite.

Hacker
Hacker
Okay, first things first.

1) If you want to run your own radio station, you need the software from WinAmp (whats what I am using anyways). I run on a Linux server, so I am running the sc_serv and the sc_trans; which lets me host my mp3 on my server and serve them up from there.

I'll package up the couple of files you need; mostly XML parser stuff.

Its alot of fun - I'm working on a script where my members can upload their own tracks to be automatically added to the playlist.

Sounds cool. I use winamp as well

Addict
Addict
I used to use ShoutCast so I could "tune in" and listen to my MP3 collection while at work. I should start doing that again...

Actually, since my website is based around music, this would probably be something I could use on my site. Thanks for the idea!

P.S. Check yer PMs PhotoPost.

Sponsored Links
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
I run a live365 acct.. any idea if this would be similar?

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Hacker
Hacker
Only if they use XML to report their stats.

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
hmmm... they might, I'll find out and report back this weekend.

And congrats on photopost 4.0

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Hacker
Hacker
http://www.viperalley.com/shoutcast/index.php

I know I said I would post this - and I will. I've been swampped with the release of PP4 and in what little spare time I've had, I've been playing with this Shoutcast server.

I've modified my page to display the current playing song, the number of people listening and the last 5 songs. Then I added "voting" for songs which lets the members vote up or down a song. If more than 10 votes are cast and 50% are in the negative, the song is removed from the playlist! Cool, huh? I track IPs and Usernumbers.

Also, for members I have an "upload" box which lets them upload their favorite MP3 which gets added to the playlist.

When things slow down a little, I'll post the code; there isnt much - its all just parsing the XML from ShoutCast server and displaying it.

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
heheh, looks cool Michael

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Sponsored Links
Addict
Addict
I don't have all the nifty stats, but I have linked a stream from my website. Here is the stream link: http://www.drumlines.org/radio

Last edited by AKD96; 06/05/2003 9:27 AM.
Hacker
Hacker
I've started using a product called SAM2 from spacialaudio.com for the feeder. Runs on NT, so I have to stream from my cable conneciton to my server. Nice thing is you can add a great playlist feature and even a "request mode". Although I lost the ability to dynamically change the playlist; the Request feature has been very popular. Trade offs, I suppose.

I change the voting to send me a notification when to drop a song from the list. And I download new tunes into the playlist on a regular basis.

Its been one of the more popular additions to our site. Even talking to JJMcKay about doing a station ID for us! lol

Addict
Addict
My visitors are absolutely loving the radio! Thanks for rekindling an old idea! It is working great for everyone, except for me. Here at work it is really choppy. I work at a military installation, so I'm guessing it's all the firewalls, routers, etc. it has to pass through. I don't know. Other streaming stuff works. I'm going to read all I can about it to refresh my memory and learn some new stuff.

The way I have it setup now is I'm using my home computer as a the server with my 1Mb cable connection. I wonder if Jeremy would let me use my server instead.....

Update, I just tried listening to your stream, and it was choppy too. So I guess that means my home server is not the problem. WooHoo!!

Last edited by AKD96; 06/05/2003 3:16 PM.
this sounds cool

Addict
Addict
LOL. Sorry, an image of Beavis & Butthead popped into my head when you said that.

ya ya LOL
I have a station up myself, from my home computer
it's not choopy so you guy's must have your setting up to high
Listen
right now I'm using the Crystal_Stats. thinking of trying out sam2 & see if this would be any better I think they have a demo so I can try before I buy

Hacker
Hacker
I'm using SAM2 as my feeder now. It allows for requests and nice searching of the playlist.

If you are getting a choppy signal, I bet its your connection (somehow). I listen all day long to mine and we have between 2-8 people at a time who say they have no problems.

Waiting to hear back from some people who do station id recordings.

Addict
Addict
I don't have my settings too high. It's set to 32Kbps and Mono. It's only choppy at work - all of my users have had no problems. Weird that it's choppy at work. Fiber line on a military installation, and at night. I'm guessing it's all the damn security it has to pass through to get to me.

ok cool deal .
I have my setings the same way 32kb mono

Addict
Addict
I'm running mine from my home computer right now. I have 179MB of MP3s that are all 32Kbps and mono - but I want to expand. Most of my music files are ~11 minutes long since they're full drum-corps shows. I've been looking through live365.com so I don't have to have my computer on and connected 24/7. But from what I'm reading, do they insert ads into my stream? Also, it seems that visitors have to go through some sort of live365 page before they can listen to my stream. If this is the case, that totally bites big time. If I'm paying for a server, I don't want forced ads and pages. That's a big rip. Am I wrong?

Hi m8 can you send me the code please

Regards
Clint

Running on WIN2003 Web Server.

Paranoid people get followed too!
Veteran
Veteran
Quick bump for this - if anyone could share the code / setup directions for running something like Michael has set up at Viper Alley

Fans Focus - Focusing on Fans of Sport

(Okay - mainly football (the British variety wink at the moment - but expanding all the time....)
OK I worked it out myself in the end, install SHOUTCAST and Winamp follow the instructions supplied to get the stream going then I merged a couple of scripts and now have this:

http://forums.turbosport.co.uk/radio/radio.php

My modified script is attached and will need editing for your server.
Attachments
84895-radio.txt (0 Bytes, 106 downloads)

Regards
Clint

Veteran
Veteran
I assume people are serving this from their cable or xDSL connections, rather than their webspace on a server?

Fans Focus - Focusing on Fans of Sport

(Okay - mainly football (the British variety wink at the moment - but expanding all the time....)
I am using the same server as I am hosting threads on, the site in the link is the new site and isnt live yet still fine tuning

Regards
Clint

Hacker
Hacker
doh! you beat me to it.... sorry, been busy past few days, but this was on my list... I used one of the XML parser apps linked off ShoutCast, like above.

I host my ShoutCast Server on my web server and run a feeder on a NT Server from my cable connection. I tried running both on the same server, but the Linux feeders are very lame. I'm trying out SAM3, which allows my members to request songs and browse the playlist.

Addict
Addict
Anyone have any answers for my questions? And how can you use your webserver, Clint? Bandwidth city.

Hacker
Hacker
Sorry, whats the questions? I cant find them.

Addict
Addict
[]I'm running mine from my home computer right now. I have 179MB of MP3s that are all 32Kbps and mono - but I want to expand. Most of my music files are ~11 minutes long since they're full drum-corps shows. I've been looking through live365.com so I don't have to have my computer on and connected 24/7. But from what I'm reading, do they insert ads into my stream? Also, it seems that visitors have to go through some sort of live365 page before they can listen to my stream. If this is the case, that totally bites big time. If I'm paying for a server, I don't want forced ads and pages. That's a big rip. Am I wrong?[/]

Also, has anyone here ever heard of http://www.peercast.org ? I read through it and it sounds interesting. I'm at work now, so I'll have to wait to try it out.

Hacker
Hacker
Ah, sorry. No info on that stuff. I use a machine on my network as a feeder and the server itself as a backup.

Lurker
Lurker
Hi, there,
I've been messing around with shoutcast, and have managed to do some /"live/" broadcasts, and, hooked up my brother-in-law to do some as well, now, I'm wanting to set up the sc_trans mode, so, I can listen to tunes from the server, while at the office, and would appreciate bit of guidance..

I've got s/c set up on linux using the default paths, so, I have /usr/local/shoutcast and /home/shoutcast folders. I want to keep my own s/c content separate from my brother-in-law/'s, so, do I setup ftp space and login under the /home/shoutcast folder, such as: /home/shoutcast/djwannabe and /home/shoutcast/brotherinlaw/ or do set these ftp folders directly under /home, like: /home/djwannabe and /home/brotherinlaw ? Also, the sc_trans exec file is currently in /usr/local/shoutcast/ folder, do the sc_transdj.conf and sc_transbil.conf files need to be in this folder, just like the sc_serv.conf files?

Thank you for the assist - the s/c documentation seems to be incomplete, and help is deeply appreciated.

tom the djwannabe

[]PhotoPost said:
I've been running a ShoutCast stream on our site for a couple days and am working on running a few stations (at some point).

I've got a PAL that lists the current playing song. It parses the XML off the ShoutCast server.

If anyone is interested; I'll share the code.

http://www.viperalley.com/ubbthreads.php [/]

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
isaac
isaac
California
Forum Statistics
Forums63