Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Mod Name / Version: Forum Instructions 1.0

Description: This allows you to add a bit of text to the top of the postlist page. It's forum specific, so you can have different info at the the top of each forum on the postlist page.
Demo here at threadsdev.

Working Under: UBB.Threads 6.3

Mod Status: Beta

Any pre-requisites: none

Author(s): JoshPet

Date: 06/14/03

Credits: Needed it here for threadsdev

Files Altered: postlist.php, postlist.tmpl

New Files: none

Database Altered: none

Info/Instructions: I wasn't going to release this - it was just something I needed here at threadsdev but while I was doing it, I got 2 private messages asking how I did it. So here's the instructions. It's a down and dirty modification which requires you to alter code to edit the text. But it works.

Disclaimer: Please backup every file that you intend to modify.
If the modification modifies the database, it's a good idea to backup your database before doing so.

Note: If you modify your UBB.Threads code, you may be giving up your right for "official" support from Infopop.If you need official support, you'll need to restore unmodified files.

Attachments
84815-ForumInstructions1.0.txt (0 Bytes, 110 downloads)

Last edited by JoshPet; 06/16/2003 4:19 PM.
Sponsored Links
[]JoshPet said:

Info/Instructions: I wasn't going to release this - it was just something I needed here at threadsdev but while I was doing it, I got 2 private messages asking how I did it. So here's the instructions. It's a down and dirty modification which requires you to alter code to edit the text. But it works.
[/b] [/]

Thanks

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
He he

Told you.... "stay tuned".

Addict
Addict

Addict
Addict
Nice one Josh!

I've actually been using something very similar for years at my forum, but I have an extra directory in my includes dir where I put a new file named after the forum which contains the extra text. This way no extra code is needed when adding extra info to a new forum.

Never thought anyone was interested in this so I've never released it. =] I can write it up if anyone is interested though.

Sponsored Links
Power User
Power User
Josh this is fantastic, but I had a glitch which I finally resolved but here it was:

In postlist.php's changes, you indicate that the lines to add are, for example,

Code
 if ($Board == "boardkeyword") { \\ Edit the board keyword <br />		$extratext = "Put your text here"; \\ Edit the text <br />		$extralinks = "<tr><td class=\"lighttable\" align=\"center\" colspan=\"3\">$extratext</td></tr>"; <br />	} 

The problem I came across was that the "commented out" edit instructions (ie., \\ Edit the board ) added to the end of the first two lines are double back-slashes, which caused an error. When I changed them to the more usual double front-slashes (in each instance), it worked.

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Thank you -
I'm a dope.

I obviously threw the comments in there at the last minute. I decided to write it up and post it because a couple people PMed me while I was doing it. But I really should write up and post mods when I've skipped a nights sleep. LOL

I corrected the instructions - had my brain been working I'd have remember that // is for comments in PHP code.
thanks.

Veteran
Veteran
[]Gardener said:
I've actually been using something very similar for years at my forum, but I have an extra directory in my includes dir where I put a new file named after the forum which contains the extra text. This way no extra code is needed when adding extra info to a new forum.

Never thought anyone was interested in this so I've never released it. =] I can write it up if anyone is interested though. [/]

Would be useful to have it automated for new forums

Fans Focus - Focusing on Fans of Sport

(Okay - mainly football (the British variety wink at the moment - but expanding all the time....)
Addict
Addict
I did something similar as Gardener.
You're able to edit the files like you can with the header files.

I sent Josh the intructions for 6.2, maybe he can port them to version 6.3. I won't update to 6.3 in the next weeks.

Addict
Addict
Sounds good. My hack doesn't allow for that.

Sponsored Links
Journeyman
Journeyman
Hi, Josh etc...

I'm about to try this on my test board, and I will...but I had a thought...

...what would you think about my looking a bit into extending this to a message (maybe different than for the postlist)on the showflat/threaded pages? Would it be along the same lines that you've done for postlist? Or maybe somebody's already considered it and rejected it!

Thanks Tony (couldn't resist this new one!)

Last edited by TonyN; 08/10/2003 3:47 PM.
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Can you slap HTML in there?

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Yeah, that's what it puts up there.... HTML. That what we use here for links and such. You just need to be sure to comment out every " mark within the strings.

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Closed. Version 2.0 has been posted here:

https://www.ubbdev.com/forum/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=94723

Last edited by JoshPet; 09/14/2003 12:55 AM.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
isaac
isaac
California
Forum Statistics
Forums63