Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Addict
Addict
I just had a crazy idea, but the more I thought about it, the more it made sense, and it should be really easy to do (at least easy if you know a little php )

Anyway, like almost everyone here, you are a webmaster. If you are involved with your site, you always have 1000 things to do right?

Well, I used to have a whiteboard on my wall, which I would write down and update as I had things to do. Well, I got thinking, it would be a lot easier to just do it on my own site since I'm on it almost all the time.

So.. just a little addon script for threads that you can login to, and post things to do on your list. For example if you find a bug or someone points out something on your site, just click the link to the list, and add it.

If you have about 30 hacks to install on your site, you could jot them all down.. then remove them as they become completed, that way if you leave in the middle of working on them you know where you left off.

Some extra features that would be nice, is a simple priority flag. Low, Normal, and High. Then maybe flag, or list them in order from highest to lowest priority?

Also, if you choose to, it would be a nice option to open the list up to all admins/mods on the site, so you can easily work together to add and see what needs to be taken care of on your site. Communicating efficiently with your fellow admins and mods is very important in making your community run smoothly.

Maybe also have a timer on high priority things on the list, so that after a set number of hours/days, the system sends you a PM to refresh your memory?

I dunno, just tossing out ideas, but I think it would be very helpful to a lot of busy admins out there

Sponsored Links
It should be very very easy to convert Michael's graffiti wall to what you want. Change the background to a white wall and then simply edit the code to place things in a list and restrict access to you. I was looking at it and it seems very simple for what you want it will work well.

https://ubbdev.com/forum/showfl...ew=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1

Addict
Addict
lol.. thanks. Yes, that would be the extremely quick fix.. although, I would like a little more orginization to it

Can't fit long sentences on the graffiti wall

When I said whiteboard, I didn't mean literally a white board that looks like I wrote on it, just a means to jot down and prioritize a list of things to do

You could adjust the code to put things into bullets or lists instead of randomizing things and add code to delete individual items instead of wiping the whole board. I mean that is a good place to start.

Addict
Addict
Yes, this would be nice. And not as a graffiti wall, but as text entries that could be listed and sorted. We have planned to put something like this on our site for ages, even though I don't have the time to code it so it would just be a simple text box edited by hand.

Each entry would need this info:
Title
Description
Date added
Days to fix (or something, when this has run out, a PM is sent)
Priority
Public (I really want this, to allow normal users to view parts of the list)
U_Number (Who added it to the list)
Assigned (User number of person who has been assigned this task)
Approved (When someone other than an admin adds an item, it won't be approved and won't be shown until it is.)

Configurable options:
Who can view (everything on) the list: Choose groups
Who can add to the list: Choose groups
Moderate new items? Yes/No
Default sorting: Priority/Date added/Assigned/Days to fix/Title
Should it be possible to enter all values for public posters, or only title/description?

Possibly it should be possible to add comments to the items, people might have some insight on the items, or want to know more.

Don't know how comments should be added though, since we have the best discussion software there is, it should be used. =] So maybe each item which gets comments will get a thread in a closed board and all the replies to that thread is listed on the item.

Sponsored Links
awesome idea!!

I particularly like that "Public" choice. There are so many requests I have in my to do list, and sincerely too, but dont get the time. This will atleast tell my users that its there in ou rminds

Yors Truly

Who? Me? Worry?
Addict
Addict
It would be really good to put all my todo lists in one place. I have a loooong list of todo items for threads, a bunch for Mambo OS, a very big bunch for my site and probably more lists as well... I haven't even looked at the threads todo-list in ages, it would be good to have them all in one place. And the ability to let users see some of the things needing to be done is imperative, so that they get guilty and hopefully help out. =]

I'm thinking of having a "Personal" bit in each entry as well, so that only the user adding it can see it unless it is also public. That way, every user could get their own todo list as well if you want. =] But the main thing it would be used for (by me) is to add some of my personal things that I want done, it would be good to have them integrated in the list as well, but I don't necessarily need other admins/mods to see them.

Veteran
Veteran

Fans Focus - Focusing on Fans of Sport

(Okay - mainly football (the British variety wink at the moment - but expanding all the time....)
Addict
Addict
Yeah, looks like it, would be a good thing to start with that to get things going. Basically it would mostly be to add and remove some fields and add the code for it, as well as adding more sorting options. Shouldn't be too hard. Anyone up for it?

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
AllenAyres
AllenAyres
Texas
Forum Statistics
Forums63