Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hacker
Hacker
http://www.viperalley.com/gallery/index.php

You'll notice a new category called "Forum Attachments". This is an index to the attachments people have uploaded to my site.

First thing I did was change the uploads directory to the category I created for this. Now all images are uploaded directly into a PhotoPost directory.

Next thing I did was write an import script to import all my attachments (ones that PhotoPost can read - images and multimedia) into my PhotoPost database, creating medium and thumbnail sizes and setting the title to the subject of the post. I have about 4,000 images to process.

You can delete images from the gallery and they will not effect your original post. I modified Threads to not remove images when a post is deleted so as to preserve the images.

I've also modified the showphoto.tmpl to show the UBBCODE for an image and also provide a link to whatever thread the post came from.

As always, looking for comments or feedback.

Sponsored Links
Hacker
Hacker
Interesting side efect, the images uploaded are counted as used space on a users account. While it doesnt prevent them from upload more attachments, it will prevent them from uploading images into the galleries if they are over their allotment.

I would imagine it wouldnt be hard to put some kind of restrictions on the amount of upload space used by the attachments during posting.

Lurker
Lurker
Is the code for this available?

No this is not available yet.

Hacker
Hacker
Well, it didn't work out as I had hoped. My users liked having the index. but complained that the attachments counted against them for uploads into the Photo Galleries. They also got confused by the two things being in the same area (Attachments werent considered part of the Photo Galleries).

What I ended up doing is installing a second PhotoPost gallery and tailored it to this specific use:

http://www.viperalley.com/attach/index.php?Cat=0

Attachments all go into one directory and then are inserted into the database based on the forum they posted to (each forum has its own category). Then I modified PhotoPost to "fake" getting every image from the single directory while presenting to the user the illusion of categories.

I didn't document it since it didn't really work out.

Sponsored Links

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
AllenAyres
AllenAyres
Texas
Forum Statistics
Forums63