Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Addict
Addict
A user at my board made an interesting suggestion that I'd like to see done but I don't have the time to do it myself.

When there is a lot of unread posts in a forum that you want to read but don't have the time to do so during this visit, it would be really nice to be able to save the information about these unread posts so that they will be reread upon next login and added to those that are marked unread for that session.

I'm not sure how hard this would be since I've never dared to look at the unread posts code before. But hopefully, it could be something like saving the info from the cookie to a table together with the date and which forum it applies to. This table is then read when the user logs in, and if it isn't empty, the contents is parsed and added to the calculation of what posts are unread and saved to the cookie.

Anyone up for it?

Sponsored Links
Don't know if this is 6.4 related or not, but I've noticed that since threadsdev upgraded to 6.4 any post I haven't read stays unread.

For example, I don't read all the modifications posts, but I have many that are listed as unread going back a couple weeks... Meant to ask about this before, is this a new feature in 6.4? Or a handy bug for me?

Maybe that's what you were looking for Gardener?

Old Hand
Old Hand
try marking all read under the My Home

Addict
Addict
Well, they stay unread as long as you are still logged in, but once you log out everything is back to a clean slate. Some people can't stay logged in, since they might be surfing from school or a internet cafe or something.

Ahh didn't know that Gardener. Yes I never log out, since I'm the only one to use the two PCs I browse Threadsdev with.

Sponsored Links
Addict
Addict
I created a hack that allows mods to manipulate there read-timestamp of a particular board and all threads in it.
Maybe you can use some parts of this logic for your hack.
Basically, you modify w3t_Last and set some cookies.

Addict
Addict
I don't have time to do it myself unfortunately, but if you post that code maybe someone else could do it?

Hmm. Couldn't your mod just be hacked so that for normal users the timestamp is set to the last unread post? That would of course mean that they will have to use before they log out, but I think it should suffice...

Addict
Addict
My mod is quiet advanced, it consists of a modified ubbthreads.php, a form to set the timestamp for one or multiple forums and a monitoring systems to that every moderator knows when the subforum was reviewed last.

But I'll try to extract the code snippet which sets the timestamp. Implementing it into the logout mechansim shouldn't be to hard then.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
AllenAyres
AllenAyres
Texas
Forum Statistics
Forums63