Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#265513 12/28/2003 5:15 PM
My 6.4 board is often extremly busy. Often busy that no php funcions works on the server. (I think I�ve reached the limit for what can be done with Threads. )

What would be great is a que system that, without using php, allows a you to logg in and then puts you in a cue, with information about estimated time until log in.

This would probably not lower the total amount of users, but it would make the site function for those who are logged in, and the rest could at least get some info on what�s happening.

Sounds like a great idea, doesn�t it?

Sponsored Links
How would you think you would do this? I mean if PHP is not working what script would accomplish this. Now if your site is pushed to the limit to kill PHP do you not think everything else is down.

I am sorry to point out the obvious but do you not think it is time to move up to a better server. I know if I was at the limit of what package I used on a server I would have to spend more money and go higher. If your site is that busy I think changing server's and or packages might be in order. You might want to think about a dedicated server if you are not already on one.

Just out of curiousity how many we talking here online at one time? I have seen threads site with hundreds online with the proper server. In fact I can name quite a few sites running our competition software and runs quite well with 600 online at one time. It all depends on your server resources and settings.

Addict
Addict
I highly doubt you have reached the limitations of threads. There are quite a few sites running with millions of posts and tens of thousands of users. Like Chuck said, you are most likely at the limits of your server.

I can vouch for this myself, because in the past year my site has been growing very quickly, and in that time I have upgraded my dedicated server 3 times in one year, and am soon to outgrow my current server.

I assume you are on a dedicated server as well.. if you are on a shared hosting account, that will likely be your problem.

I see. Thanks for the input.

Right now I don�t understand anything. This night I closed the forum and the server load keept climbing anyway. So I guess something is wrong, but I can�t seem to figure out what.

I have recently moved to a faster server
Code
 <br />RedHat Linux 9.0 <br />Intel Pentium IV 2.0GHz w/512K Cache <br />1GB ECC SDRAM <br />120GB EIDE 7200RPM <br />

14573 Registered user. Record online is 344. Don�t sound like that much, but I can�t find out what else the prooblem could be.

Seems like a pretty good machine to me. Not?

According to my host later this night I had on one time 56 users with a total of 668 connections. Is it normal with so many connections for just 56 users? How many connections is one user sopposed to make?

I have sent a support question regarding this to Infopop. I hope they have the time to look into this soon.

Greatfull for any help I can get!

Edit

Example of load vs users:
63 users shown in "Whos online" (26 registered, 37 anonymous)
03:37:37 up 11 min, 1 user, load average: 2.60, 2.35, 1.39

15 minutes after closing forum, and rebooting server:
04:17:21 up 15 min, 1 user, load average: 21.54, 11.59, 5.21

Well 56 users is nothing I have a relatively small site and 56 online is a good number. You would have to post more detailed information for anyone to give an responses that might help

One would be a more detailed MYSQL information with some kind of statistics.

Another would be an average output using ps aux on your apache connections.

Your server does not sound too bad although it is nowhere near the top of the line.

Something to see if the time limits of some of those connections. If you have graphics on your site and hotlinking is not disabled one thing you might want to look into is people may be hot linking your graphics.

I had something similar happen to me where for some reason my hotlinking went active from an htaccess file going corrupt and with all the search engine listings my site has my graphics where being displayed everywhere and dragging down the server. As soon as I placed a good htaccess with hotlinking disabled the server load went way down. Just something to think about.

You should more like you need to tune your settings.

Sponsored Links
Oki... thanks!

This is way out of my league. I hope Infopop support has some help to offer regarding server tuning.

Did you shell into your server and type ps aux and see how many connections were active? That is relatively simple operation

coffee and code
coffee and code
Ummm, how about optimizing your DB...

Then purging old messages (PM) from over 6 months...

nd some posts that are in your "anything goes" style forums that are over a 6 months, 1 year or even 2 years old....

now clear all the orphaned files in your 'attach' directory...
https://www.ubbdev.com/forum/showflat.php?Number=56795

And then optimize your DB once again...

I optimize every night, along with doing a backup of the DB - and after the optimize, everything seems to FLY for the next few days.... so I began optimizing every night and havent had a problem since.

I was 'farked' ( http://www.celicahobby.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Number=1862397778 ) a few weeks ago and there was absolutely NO slow-downs - even with 800+ users online all at the same time

Current developer of UBB.threads PHP Forum Software
Current Release: UBBT 7.7.5 // Preview: UBBT 8.0.0
isaac @ id242.com // my forum @ CelicaHobby.com
Addict
Addict
[]According to my host later this night I had on one time 56 users with a total of 668 connections. Is it normal with so many connections for just 56 users? How many connections is one user sopposed to make? [/]
Do you use persistent connections? If so, you should turn it off.
I assume you ment 668 concurrent mysql connections. This sin't normal with 68 users online. It seems that your mysql configuration doesn't fit to your server setup. A load of 2.5 is quiet high for your hardware with about 80 users online.

[]Gregori said:
I see. Thanks for the input.

Right now I don´t understand anything. This night I closed the forum and the server load keept climbing anyway. So I guess something is wrong, but I can´t seem to figure out what.

I have recently moved to a faster server
[/]

I have the same problem.
Actually, when there are many users doing a search at the same time. The server load is climbing fast!

...... x ......
Using UBBt 6.4.2 + Digg Ajax Mod, Trust Ajax Mod, Captcha Regristation & Login mod, Checkusername Ajax mode.
Sponsored Links
What kind of server are you on? I´m about to move to a Dual Xenon.

Hope it will speed things up.

[]Gregori said:
What kind of server are you on? I´m about to move to a Dual Xenon.

Hope it will speed things up. [/]

Xeons will be nice.

I am using Pentium IV 2.4 Ghz with 1GB SDRAM.

I changing to Single Xeon 1GB ECC Reg, Cheetah 10,000 RPM.
I hope it is not like killing an ant with a bomb thing.. (or the other way around? )

Addict
Addict
It will speed things up for sure, but always have in mind that the configuration of the system is at least as important than the hardware.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
isaac
isaac
California
Forum Statistics
Forums63