Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#267565 01/20/2004 5:04 PM
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
I did a search and checked the "List of Suggestions" (said forum not found) but I'm sure I thought I saw it somewhere. Anyway, here's what I'm looking for.

I currently have UBBT and Photopost integrated. I also allow uploading of image files when making a post in the forums. However, what I would like to do is be able to select an image from the gallery and insert into the post with UBB code. Something in the way of this:

• User has uploaded his pics to Potopost Gallery.
  • User goes to message board and begins new post.
  • User wants to insert an image from HIS uploaded pics.
  • User clicks a link which brings up pop up window displaying thumbnails along with the thumbnails' description. If there is more than say12 pics in his gallery, he can browse further pages of his gallery until he/she finds the desired pic.
  • User clicks on thumbnail which inserts the correct UBB code (for full size imag,or clickable thumbnail (configurable)) into the message area and pop up window closes.
  • User can do it again if adding more than one pic.
  • User completes post and previews or submits the post.

In this way, I
1. hope to encourage more use of the photo gallery
2. can write articles in my article forums and insert images where I want them in my articles more easily than having to figure out the url of the pic.

If this has been suggested already I appologize, but I was unable to find anything on it.

Thanks for reading.

Sponsored Links
Addict
Addict
I'm planning to code something similar to this. But it will take a while. Don't expect anything before late february.

I currently don't have photopost installed at all, so many members use a "test-thread" to upload images as an attachment so that they can include the image into their signature or postings. Providing the ability to insert images from the photopost album will hopefully convience them to use photopost.

Should be very doable by doing a popup window with a very modified showmembers.php script from Photopost which would just grab the user's photo's

Journeyman
Journeyman
I am interested in this also... Keep a hackin' away!

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Umm, I added a reply last night, and it's not here this morning for some reason. Anyway, I wanted to add that in addition to the original post, an upload mod for uploading a pic into a users Photopost Gallery directly from the message form using the same behavior as above. Pic gets uploaded to the users gallery, ubb code is inserted into the post then the window closes.

Sponsored Links
There ya go Mark I think we have two very doable ideals based on simply creating a lite version of an already existing file.

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Wouldn't js be needed to do this? I don't know squat about javascript though. Haven't tried doing anything with it. What's a good js primer or maybe a online tutorial for something like this? Better yet, I wonder if Photopost would mind taking a look at this.

Yeah probally best to open a javawindow. But this can be handled just like the graemlin window works and include the necessary coding from either script we talked about to do it.

I may look at it just like Astaran said he would as well. However other work takes proirity so I guess any us that choose to do get to it then we will.

Now the main part is to write the script which would pull the user's photo's and display the ubbcode like it does on the showphoto.tmpl and then use the post function to carry it over. The javascript is easy. Just replicate the script that pulls the popup window for the graemlinpanel.php script and replace that with the script you create. If get a couple hours to create the scripts I look into creating it I will but its nothing I have not done before that is create custom Photopost scripts.

Code Monkey
Code Monkey
We have a custom picture upload over at the Shroomery.
You might want to test it by loging in here:
www.shroomery.org/forums
with
ThreadsDev
ThreadsDev

The picture upload can be found here:
www.shroomery.org/forums/dopictureg.php once you are logged in.

Each user has a space to store pictures, and by clicking on a thumbnail the ubb code is created that the user can copy and paste into any post he wants.

Code Monkey
Code Monkey
Examples:
The thumbnail view:
[]http://www.shroomery.org/banner/gallery1.gif[/]

The generated UBB code:
[]http://www.shroomery.org/banner/gallery2.gif[/]

Sponsored Links
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Thanks. I checked it out. That's a custom script for using the file upload feature in threads, correct? Nicely done. I have already invested in photopost so I need to stick with it, however, this gives an inspiration on the line of what I was thinking about, only using the photopost gallery software. The main thing is to simplify the process for my users. Thanks for letting me check it out.

BTW, what happened to the other avatar? I found it quite interesting.

Oh, wait a minute. DOH! I just noticed it changed again. Are you doing that from this site, or is that a rotator from your website? Neato!

Last edited by fishtails; 01/25/2004 9:46 AM.
Code Monkey
Code Monkey
> That's a custom script for using the file upload feature in threads, correct?
Yes, it uses the threads identification system for maintaining each user's own gallery.

As far the thumbnail generation in photopost, I don´t think this would be hard to do, you basically need to know the filename and the thumbnail name, and then the creation of the ubb code is only a few code lines away.
I could do it, but I don´t have photopost.

>is that a rotator from your website
Exactly.
It chooses from around 200 images.

I think I may look into it. Photopost by default actually formats the ubbcode and shows it in showphoto

I was looking at the graemlinpanel so its just a matter of a query to display the users photos with a paging system which I already created for a user the other day. I was thinking I could add in the appropriate code to post it into the post body and add in the ubbcode

If I have a few I will try it out.

Hacker
Hacker
There used to be a UBB mod that allowed people to keep a list of 10 images in a popup selectable list. We have alot of users with 100's of images uploaded, so presenting that list to them in some kind of format which is useable is the hard part.

Maybe a text list with likes to another window for preview?

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
I've been tinkering around with mambo server the last couple of days. In their news article submision form page there is a scrollable list of available images above the text area. You can see around 8 listings of the file names and a scroll bar. To the right is a preview area, so when you select one of the names, a thumbnail is displayed. You can scroll (browse) through the entire list until you find the one you want. Once the desired file is located, clicking a link below the tb image inserts the html into the text area of the form. Of course, this can be modified to UBB code instead, I'm sure. I really like the way it has been implemented into the mamboserver software.

Any idea if that mod you're talking about had a name so I can do a reasonable search, or if that mod is still available and where if it is?

Thanks. I'll throw up a screenshot of the newsform this evening when I get home so you can get a better idea of what I'm talking about.

Journeyman
Journeyman
Hey all-
I have already made this mod, just haven't had a chance to clean it up and upload it yet. I basically just borrowed some code from JustDave's graemlin panel.

See attached picture. It grabs the last 20 pictures that the user has posted, and when they click on the picture it add's in the image to the body of the post using ubb code. It is "smart" enough that if the image is really large, it grabs the mid-size picture from the photopost directory.

I'm super busy at work but i'll try to post my whack code today.

FWIW i made this mod after being inspired by the Modification Index here... I made a "Trip Report Index" where folks post recent climbing trips and it creates a special index of Trip Only reports:
http://www.cascadeclimbers.com/threadz/tripreports.php?Cat=0

I have a routine that checks for .gif and .jpg in the body of the post and add's the neato little camera icon to the Index... works great with this PhotoPost Panel thingy

-chillin
Attachments
106594-picpanel.gif (0 Bytes, 28 downloads)

Last edited by chillin; 01/28/2004 12:24 PM.
Ok Chillin if you followed the jist of what I hinted at you beat me too it. I finally got through a busy weekend etc and was gonna do this as I stated I would based on the graemlin panel and you beat me good man.

So when you click the photo it inserts the ubbcode tags around the data path of the image inserting it back into the post body?

Journeyman
Journeyman
Well... my code is so sloppy so maybe you should still do one

Yeah so its just like the graemlin panel, except with your pictures.

Depending on the dimensions of the pict in photopost there is the thumb, med, and full size... the script will grab the full size path if there is no medium, so you don't get the annoying big picture in a post.

it then uses the javascript to append the [img]pathtopppict[/img] to the existing body of the post.

works great, and really encourages people to upload more pictures to the gallery as it makes it soooo easy to add in an image to a post.

Journeyman
Journeyman
ohhh, and i coded this up over a month ago, before this was brought up here as I wanted it for my site's new Trip index, so i wasn't "stealing a mod" from ya! LOL!

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
This looks like something that can be expanded on as well. Looking forward to your code this evening. Thanks. Chillin, you use mambo don't you? Do you think it's possible to modify your mod to something like what I was talking about with the news submit in mambo? In other words, show a scrollable list with a thumb preview.

edit

Hey, I just checked out your trip report. Man, I could use something like that for Florida fishing reports. Is that a major hack?

Last edited by fishtails; 01/28/2004 1:02 PM.
Journeyman
Journeyman
Yeah it pretty much does that right now, just doesn't have the scroll bar, but that can be added rather easily... one could even have the pictures inline with the new post screen as well.

Thats cool at least thats the thinking I was going by when I posted the hints about using the graemlinpanel

When ya post the code I will surely download it and test it out. No sense me wasting any time when someone has taken the time to do it.

Addict
Addict
Count me in also, I'll definetly install this mod and contribute any enhancements I make.

Hacker
Hacker
Chuck, I just coded up something real quick using the Graemlinpanel as the guide - so looks the same. It also lets you scroll through your PhotoPost images by providing NEXT and PREV buttons (showing 16 thumbnails at a time). Clicking on a thumbnail inserts the UBB code into the textarea like the other mod. If there is a medium image, it uses that tag otherwise uses the regular image.

I have it running on my site and works great.

I'll email it over to you so your can document it for everyone. (Be sure to post it on photopsotdev.com, too! lol)

Journeyman
Journeyman
Well guess I'll just hold off on fixing mine up. But for who cares, here is how i did it. See attached
Attachments
106613-mypicsINSTALL.zip (0 Bytes, 12 downloads)

Hacker
Hacker
Here's a snapshot of what I did...
Attachments
106615-pppanel.jpg (0 Bytes, 30 downloads)

Thanks it is cool Michael and yours too Chillen

I was gonna code this up and saw chillen already did it. God to think we woulda had three versions. Michael looking yours over it is almost identical to what I had started since everything was based on the graemlin panel and the existing code used to generate the feature thumb boxes. I will document it up and post it here and over at Photopostdev.

Might be tomorow though as I just got power back after a 7 hour outage.

Good work Chillin I was gonna look at what you did but you removed the link. You did not steal a mod I think 3 people here said they where gonna have a crack at it but that was with time permitted. Obviously time was on your side if you had it done over a month ago.

I posted Photopost's Mod in the Modifications forum

It grabs all the user's photos and is broken into pages so you can scan through and find what you want.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
isaac
isaac
California
Forum Statistics
Forums63