Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Journeyman
Journeyman
I would like to have the ability (as an admin) to edit a users post count.
On my forum I'm using the post count and title system as a "fun" incentive and kind of like a little competition (See this thread for a description).

Most of the time it works very well, but sometimes peole try to (almost) spam or "flood" in order to drive up their post count. Of course I can change their titles manually but it would be much better if I could simply edit their post count (for example if I delete (or lock) a post, I can go subtract from the post count of that user)

If anyone could come up with a solution I will appreciate it very much thanks!

Sponsored Links
First note the number of posts for a given user, and hit their profile for their User Number.

UPDATE w3t_Users SET U_Totalposts='###' WHERE U_Number='###'

The U_Totalposts should set to the number of posts you would like reflected for them, and the U_Number is the User Number you are changing.

This will NOT change their title, so if they bumped themselves by spamming your boards, you can change that in a few other ways.

Journeyman
Journeyman
Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!!!!!!

This was exactly what I needed. It works perfectly!!!!
(there is an extra reason why this was so important for me: I run a hidden - work related for a secret project - forum on my site and I don't want other members asking questions about why this and that user has got so high post count, so this is VERY important for me!!!!)

THANK YOU MEDAR !!!

[]Magle said:
I run a hidden - work related for a secret project - forum on my site and I don't want other members asking questions about why this and that user has got so high post count, so this is VERY important for me!!!!)
[/]

You could try the info in This Thread to disable the post counter for that "secret" forum.

[]Magle said:
...but sometimes peole try to (almost) spam or "flood" in order to drive up their post count.[/]

I hear you. One of the "fun" things I did to combat that little race was take the worst offenders and make it so that every time they posted it would instead subtract one from their post count. Worked nicely and everyone had a good laugh.

Lee

Sponsored Links
Code Monkey
Code Monkey
Lmao..Ok I want to do that..I have three offenders on my board that need this..How did you do it?

This was awhile back and it's long gone, but after a quick look at addpost.php I believe the only changes were checking against U_Username for the names at $Totalposts = $user['U_Totalposts'] + 1; and instead subtracting one. The query also needed to be updated to use $Totalpost instead of 'U_Totalposts + 1' again.

Lee

Code Monkey
Code Monkey
I think this query should be added to Frequently Used My SQL Queries.

Addict
Addict
I like to have fun with ranks too, and I have gotten rather complex with my schemes. You can see somewhat of an explanation for how I run things at http://www.drumlines.org/threads/faq.php#titles

I have more-or-less shied away from using solely post counts as a basis of rank. I instead combine that with the groups system that I described.

The 'script' that I speak of on the page does not really exist - that is still in the making! But for now, we (my staff) compensate by reading posts and making mental notes of who's got a good head on their shoulders and who should be run over by a stampede of rabid water buffalo.

I have made quite a lot of script alterations to automate the whole process, however. The only time we have to step in is when a member is up for promotion to the next group.

Journeyman
Journeyman
That's really sneaky DLWebmaestro, but I like it

When my forum starts to grow in members (anytime now, as I've been saying for the last...nevermind ) I think I'll try to expand the ranking system beyond "post-count".

Sponsored Links
Code Monkey
Code Monkey
lmao Josh..I understood that bit of code

Journeyman
Journeyman
he he..."clueless", so to speak

Lurker
Lurker
could someone tell me how to filter out the content of a thread? a lot of people have on my board have the habit of posting just "+1" or just a smiley and they are just trying to boost their post count. is there a way i could stop them from entering the post if it contains any instance of "+1"?

Well, the thing is, that there is no way to catch it all. If you block +1, then they can simply use .... or ...... or ..... or :; or a or b or okay, I digress, but you get the point.

Code Monkey
Code Monkey
For as many ways you come up with to filter things out someone will always have a workaround. I suggest making a Spam Policy announcement and inform users that your delete finger is getting tired and it just may slip onto "delete user" if the problem continues. Fact is Spam will always be problem at one time or another on any forum. The task is not letting it become contagious.

Lurker
Lurker
what about making a minimum character limit for posts?? so like any posts shorter then 10 char is denied.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
isaac
isaac
California
Forum Statistics
Forums63