Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Code Monkey
Code Monkey
I don't really need subcategories, IF I could collapse categories from the start.

As a user, it is easy to collapse a category just by clicking the little "-" thing.

It would be great if there was a way that Admins could select a setup where certain cats were collapsed and certain weren't, instead of choosing to start out with cats only displayed, or forums only displayed...

This seems like it wouldn't be too hard. Anyone????

(here's my reasoning)

If you have 400 forums and some are hardly posted in, it looks like your site isn't frequented as often as it is.

Plus, it's a hassle to wade through a bunch of forums if you are only interested in a few.

I want to create a forum for each state, and for each specialty for my nurses, BUT, I want them under that states and specialties categories and I want them collapsed.

Their existence is more for SEO purposes, as I have noticed that the forum titles/descriptions have helped me out quite a bit there. Once Josh's header insert mod for individual forums is done, it will be much easier to change the meta data for those up in a minute or two, and I'll be getting a bunch more traffic.

If any of the forums in those cats become popular, I could always move them out...but at least they'd be there for the search engines.

Any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
there is a way you can create a link and include in your link the category number in the url

This will only display the category or the categories you specify

such as this https://www.ubbdev.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?Cat=2,4

Code Monkey
Code Monkey
That's good, but it limits you in that clicking on the main index doesn't get you to all the cats...

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
just fix the link for main index to be =0

Code Monkey
Code Monkey
yeah, but what I'm saying is I don't want all those forums to show up on the main index.

Is there a way to do what you did, but make is show say 4 of 6 categories, leaving 2 out?

That would work, I guess.

Sponsored Links

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
isaac
isaac
California
Forum Statistics
Forums63