Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Mod Name / Version: rssFeeder v1.1.2 (hehe, it's 1.1, because i've never released a 1.0 -- bad luck)

Description: This expands upon the 2 offerings I already noticed in these forums. It now includes:

1. Individual forum feeds
2. Inbox
3. Outbox
4. Today's posts (done in an earlier mod)
5. Supports rss v2.0 and v0.92 - selectable (0.91 is too limited)

I have it working on my test board and have given it to a couple people to use on other boards. So far feedback is good.

Demo Tells you all about it and more.
Forum where you can register and test on. the forum isn't really used at all. Just test.

When you look at the rssClass, you'll prolly notice some C# naming convention. I took their method names for mine

I pounded this out on a weekend, tested for couple hours, unleashed it on 2 boards for a week, but there still might be bugs. The addon is entirely read-only, so you can't harm your board.

Note: Added feature suggestions from Paul Smith. Fixed bug on '&' and 'today' function.

Enjoy

Working Under: UBB.Threads 6.4

Mod Status: Finished

Any pre-requisites: Knowledge of what rss feeds are for

Author(s): sirdude

Date: 04/27/04

Credits: rssThreads & RSS Feed threads to get juices flowing

Files Altered: None. It's a standalone addon, so there is no copy/paste/merging required at all.

New Files: An entire
/feeds directory
/feeds/help directory

Database Altered: None

Info/Instructions:
1. upload to a newly created feeds dir, under ubbthreads.
2. edit rss.inc.php, if you want to personalize and tweak (not really necessary to test though)
3. go to http://yourboardurl/feeds/

You will be presented with available feeds (cookies determine) There's ample information and help that describes how to use it in the main screen and help screen.

It's up to you to have an rss feedreader. FeedDemon is the best i've found, since it supports cookies on rss feed links. SharpReader and rssReader work too, but you'll be forced to use the 2 parameters u=Username&p=Password to get proper feeds.

Note: should work with any board version that uses U_Number. I can't remember when that change came about.

Note: i used tabs set at 3 in my editor (ultraedit), so it lines up perfectly, if you match that. you could also detab it, if that's what you want. just fyi.

Disclaimer: Please backup every file that you intend to modify.
If the modification modifies the database, it's a good idea to backup your database before doing so.

Note: If you modify your UBB.Threads code, you may be giving up your right for "official" support from Infopop.If you need official support, you'll need to restore unmodified files.

Last edited by sirdude; 06/04/2004 7:41 PM.
Sponsored Links
Addict
Addict

I'll put that one on my "to install" list.

Thanks for this - I downloaded it, and it's quite cool.

I tried to email you a few modifications I made to it, but my message got bounced with a '-thou shalt not spam' error..

Anyway, the main modification was to improve the sorting of the feed list, so I've attached my 'help/index.php' file here. (Note that I've also changed the 'index.tmpl' filename to make it easier to edit (I changed it to a .php file), so that may need changing back.

The forums are now sorted into the same order as on the UBBThreads 'Main Index' page, with category titles etc
Attachments
113143-myindex.zip (0 Bytes, 28 downloads)

Addict
Addict
Thx for sharing your code!

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
lol Paul.. sorry bout that.. i have spamassasin installed on my server.. i guess it's a little picky

i'll incorporate your changes, since they are good additions.

you rawk. []http://ewnet.com/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rawk.gif[/]

Sponsored Links
Journeyman
Journeyman
This is an awesome idea... I wish it worked right though.

Sirdude, if you want a test account on my site to check out the problems, let me know.

You can see the feeds page on my site here

http://www.digitaldelinquency.com/newforums/feeds

I did a feed validation on the freedoms forum and it errors.. Other forums are added to my rssfeeder but show no updates at all when you click the update button.

I just tried addin a feed from your demo site too http://gettyguy.com/ubbthreads/feeds/rss.php?func=today and it errors out too. XML unexpected error, token something or other to do with a semicolon?

Again, im using RssReader... And i have been successful in adding other feeds from other feed sites with it.

Deejay

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
hrm.. i'm an idiot. i don't handle '&' in title. and some descriptions..

i fixed the problem with 'today' and tested it. also fixed problem with forum names that have '&' in them.

additionally, added Paul Smith's idea of sorting by Bo_Cat, Bo_Sorter. (note to Paul: you must be using a windows board, because your query has w3t_category, versus w3t_Category. I know windows doesn't care about upper/lower case, but my *nix system did )

The links in my 1st post are now pointing to the new code. version is 1.1.2 for now.

Enhancements coming later, when i get back from fishing. I have a list of things i want to add, based upon feedback from my other forum(s).

Good luck

Also disregard my PM, since i simulated the problem on my board.

Journeyman
Journeyman
Still no workie for me here.

I can add the feed to my rssreader, but i get no stuff fed.

I was wondering if maybe this was an factor?

[]
It's up to you to have an rss feedreader. FeedDemon is the best i've found, since it supports cookies on rss feed links. SharpReader and rssReader work too, but you'll be forced to use the 2 parameters u=Username&p=Password to get proper feeds. [/]

Maybe because i am only using "resfeeder" i cant get the info? What can i do to make it work?

Can anyone else see feeds from my site? (I have updated to the new version you just made)

Deej

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
to get rssreader to work, you'll need to supply u=user&p=pass (it doesn't do cookies)

i can test on your site, if you supply me with a temporary user/pass to play with.

i have it working on 2 sites, without a hitch. matter of fact, you don't have to modify a thing. just upload and poof, it works. it's pretty much standalone.

PS: i went to your site (linked in your 1st post) and you are still running the old version. []http://blehnet.com/crap/oldver.jpg[/] it autoupdates the version to 1.1.2, if you uploaded the new version.

the ini file is just for customization, so there must be something 'special' in your case.

let me know, if you want me to test on your site.

Journeyman
Journeyman
[]sirdude said:
The links in my 1st post are now pointing to the new code. version is 1.1.2 for now.
[/]

Ummmm, nope...

You mentioned i didnt have the updated version, so i erased my feeds dir on my server, downloaded the attachment on the first post, and re-installed it to my server, and it still says version 1.1...

Deej

Sponsored Links
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
oops.. i guess you are downloading, the attachment... (which i forgot to modify)..

if you click on 'Demo', you will be taken to the demo, where you can download the newer version..

my bad.

i'll see if i can modify the attachment, to eliminate confusion.

Note: Attachment updated.

Thanks this is a cool. I added it to MY Yahoo home page and works like a charm.
Any way to make this a ssi to put in other locations of the site?

I added the feeder to yahoo but I get a file not found 404 when I click on link.

Comes in this format
http://www.steelheader.net/ubbthreads/show.php?Number=118003

Hmm I don't have a showpost file.. was this a standard file or one of our mods.

I found the showpost.php file in one of gardners old mods. But it doesn't work for me. I am also using Josh's spider friendly mod.

ok I found the showpost.php file and altered name to show.php and Josh fixed the redirect to use spider friendly urls. This is sweet!!!

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
glad it worked for you.

I have something like 14 forums on my site, but I only want to make one of them available for RSS feed. Is that possible?

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
yes.

right now, people only see the forums that they are allowed to participate in.

you probably want a filter to go further than that and limit them to only one specific one.

i can see changing it to say, only provide feeds for forums that are a specific category "Rss feeds"... or something like that.

i don't really plan to modify the current feeder for this version (6.4) though. when 6.5 comes out, i will probably give it an overhaul and put in more flexibility, like you are requesting

I have a dumb question Do I link the rssFeeder into my forum? And if so, what file(s) do I edit to make it happen?

Thank You

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
it's made to be easy to install. you actually can just upload the files with NO modifications, to see how it runs. if anything, you will edit 1 file, to give it a more custom name for the feed. that's it..

[]Info/Instructions:
2. edit rss.inc.php, if you want to personalize and tweak (not really necessary to test though)
[/]

good luck

All of that is done & running fine. My question is, how do I make my members aware that this progie is installed? Do I create a link on the forum to direct them to the progie?

[]sirdude said:
it's made to be easy to install. you actually can just upload the files with NO modifications, to see how it runs. if anything, you will edit 1 file, to give it a more custom name for the feed. that's it..

[]Info/Instructions:
[/]

good luck [/]

When I "Copy Shortcut" into my RssReader progie (latest version), some of the forums display nicely. But a few of the other forums don't - I get the following message in the RssReader progie window (No headlines found with this type, date filter and/or keyword). I am running UBB.Threads v6.4, Windows XP Professional with Microsoft .NET framework. Why are some of the forums appearing nicely & others are not?

Thank You for Your Time!

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
uh yah..

i posted a thread, announcing it.. and linked to it. you can choose how you want to inform peeps.

edit: i found the problem. forums with '&' in the title cause the feed to 'blow-up'. i will fix that and thanks for finding the bug

Last edited by sirdude; 07/16/2004 10:56 AM.
Coder
Coder
whats about an update for threads 6.5 ? I bring it to work with modify the includes path but it seems that same stylesheet modification are needed.

/edit: the path modify is easy and work. The style works in IE, but I have problems in Opera 7.5x
I will try to find out why.

Last edited by Zarzal; 09/27/2004 5:37 PM.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
isaac
isaac
California
Forum Statistics
Forums63