Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Addict
Addict
Mod Name / Version: Mambo UBB.threads Integration 1.0beta1

Description: UBB.threads Integration is a package that allows you to run both Mambo Open Source 4.5 and UBB.threads 6.4 from the same user database. Users logged in to one system are also logged in to the other. It is also possible to comment on articles directly into the forum system, all or only selected content get their own threads when commented on.

Working Under: UBB.Threads 6.4

Mod Status: Beta

Any pre-requisites: Mambo Open Source 4.5 1.0.8

Author(s): Gardener

Date: 06/17/04

Credits: chillin for some early code, all those who donated money tó get this done

Files Altered: addpost.php, login.php, logout.php, newuser.php

New Files: mambointegration.php + a whole lot of files for Mambo.

Database Altered: None

Info/Instructions: Please read the instructions carefully before trying this out.

The Mambo Component containing all that is need for this integration can be downloaded from my site.

There are changes needed to both Mambo and UBB.threads for this to work properly. I've tried to keep it to a minimum, and to make the changes easy to do to make it as easy as possible to install.

Features:
  • Total user database integration between Mambo and UBB.threads.
  • Article comment system that makes use of all UBB.threads posting features.
  • Search Engine Friendly links for all Mambo parts.
  • All language strings are separated into a language file for easy translation.
  • Templates and CSS to easily change appearence of article comments and comment form.
  • Automatic installation - When installing the component, as much as possible is automatically installed for you.
  • Easily change the configuration via the administrator.
  • Several modules available: Forum list, Private Messages, Latest Threads, Forum menu, Statistics
  • Merge user databases if you already run Mambo or UBB.threads, or both.
  • Some modules that use heavy MySQL queries caches information to disk to ease server load.

Disclaimer: Please backup every file that you intend to modify.
If the modification modifies the database, it's a good idea to backup your database before doing so.

Note: If you modify your UBB.Threads code, you may be giving up your right for "official" support from Infopop.If you need official support, you'll need to restore unmodified files.

Last edited by Gardener; 06/17/2004 11:03 PM.
Sponsored Links
Looking forward to playing with this.

What exactly is Mambo?

Thanks for Info

Addict
Addict
Mambo Open Source is a CMS (Content Management System) that allows you to build an entire website very easily. It is very easy to install and setup and has very low requirements (standard PHP and MySQL installations) and allows you to easily change appearence and functionality. Extra features, templates, language files etc are added by simply uploading zip files in the administration interface.

Mambos official homepage: http://www.mamboserver.com
Mambos official development repository: http://mosforge.net
Mambo news and articles: http://www.mamboportal.com
Mambo community: http://www.mambers.com

Mambo can be used for building everything on your website, it even has several forum systems developed especially for it. It also has integration ability with phpBB and now UBB.threads, with vBulletin possibly on its way.

Other available components: Gallery, Guestbook, User blogs, Java IRC, Games, Link systems, Classifieds and much more.

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
any links to an actual site running w/ threads?

what about 6.5?

Why does the log in/out use the Mambo instead of threads?

Is there a fix for safari? The popup menus don't work w/ safari.

Sponsored Links
Addict
Addict
[]any links to an actual site running w/ threads?[/]

http://www.spelwebben.se

But it is in Swedish unfortunately. There might be an English one opening soon, I'll ask if I can post the link to it.

[]what about 6.5?[/]

Haven't had time to try it in 6.5 but I don't think there should be any problems. I'll get the instructions updated in time for the 6.5 release hopefully. I'm also planning on updating it for Mambo 4.6 when it is released.

[]Why does the log in/out use the Mambo instead of threads? [/]

To minimize the needed modifications to make the installation as easy as possible. Also, it is easier to find bugs if I only I have to check in one place. Internally, it's same database and cookies as before in both Mambo and UBB.threads, so everything works the same as before.

[]Is there a fix for safari? The popup menus don't work w/ safari.[/]

What popup menus are you referring to? If it is the ones in Mambo, I think they are correct html so it's probably a bug in Safari. I know it works in msie/firefox/opera at least. The menus are a GPL:d javascript functions too called JSCookMenu I think, you might want to ask the authors of it as well.

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
i love the style sheets... think they care to share

Addict
Addict
What stylesheets? On www.spelwebben.se ?

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
I like the color scheme. I want to do a blue / green one

c0bra #275255 06/22/2004 7:02 AM
Addict
Addict
Someone is doing a German translation for the component and seems to need some help with doing a trial installation of it to test it live (he doesn't have UBB.threads himself I believe). So if someone who speaks English could help him out I'd be very grateful.

Here is the thread about it:
http://www.mambers.com/showthread.php?t=5203

Sponsored Links
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Wow cool! Can't wait to check this out.

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
nice work Gardener

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Thinking about testing this out....

But first, just want to make sure that I have the correct info so I can start to tool around with this.

In your write-up here on the site, you mention "Working Under: UBB.Threads 6.4", but in your readme.html file, you mention "The following is needed to run this integration properly: UBB.threads 6.4.2"

I never did do the minor upgrades on my v6.4 prior to my license expiring, which was only a few days short of when v6.5 was released as I wasa trying to hold out from doing the minor upgrades due to all my hacks.

So, can I install this on my v6.4 or do I need v6.4.2?

Thanks....Looks like you put some damn good effort in to this project!

Addict
Addict
I don't know, I've only tried it with 6.4.2 but there shouldn't be much changes since 6.4.0 that affects the modifications. The threads part of this is basically the same as for 6.1.x for which I've run the integration for quite some time.

I've taken a quick look at the changes since 6.4.0 and I can't see anything that should affect the integration, but I can't say for sure.

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Thanks Gardner....I'll work on installing this on v6.4 and report back with how it worked.

Thanks again...

I run Mambo on one of my sites http://www.e-onlinesource.com/index.php even though I don't use threads on it because it's strictly for housing my interviews. It's great stuff with many options and it's really easy to hack in what you need.

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
where can I get some "FREE" templates...

Addict
Addict
Yes, it's very easy to extend and the code is very well written. It can run with full error_reporting without any notices as well, which is nice. But for a lot of the stuff no code changes is necessary, it's very customizable. I like it a lot and use it for a lot of websites, and I tend to use for every new one I setup.

Addict
Addict
There are a bunch to be found in the download section on www.mamboportal.com and you can find links to a lot of template designers in the weblinks at that site as well.

Other good template sites:
http://www.mambohut.com
http://www.allmambo.com
http://www.peekmambo.com

I assume the login will be done via Mambo mainly
How will this work with "MyPaymentPal" from Josh?
Can this work together?

Addict
Addict
I think it should work since the integation actually logs the user into both systems at the same time, so all user functionality in UBB.threads and Mambo should work just as before.

Journeyman
Journeyman
sweet gardener, glad you got this going!

I really like mambo and threads but they do not seem to work like one like mambo and simpleboard do...

Am I looking a the wrong samples?
The one I looked at always show threads in a new window, and not like built into mambo...

Another thing: can users, posts, etc, be exported from threads to simpleboard?

Addict
Addict
No, it's not a complete integration. To do something like that requires a lot of work and will probably not even be possible with a commercial system. The integration is for the user system and being able to comment on articles and such. If you want you can use UBB.threads in an iframe inside Mambo and you will have something similar to a complete integration.

I don't know of an exporter to get UBB.threads info to Simpleboard unfortunately.

Coder
Coder
Thanks for starting this project. Yesterday I take a first look and I will continue if Mambo support PHP5. Do you plan to enhance the integration ?

Addict
Addict
Well, I'm using it myself so I will need to keep it updated for future versions. As for enhancements I don't know, I'm not sure what could be enhanced as I have everything I need personally.

Has anyone else run into this:
Code
 <br /> <br />Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in <br />/home/wwwtsbiu/public_html/administrator/components/com_threadsintegration/admin.threadsintegration.php on line 85 <br /> <br />Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in <br />/home/wwwtsbiu/public_html/administrator/components/com_threadsintegration/admin.threadsintegration.php on line 142 <br />	   UBB.threads Integration - Merge User Information <br />Total number of users in UBB.threads: 0 <br />Number of users imported from UBB.threads: 0 <br /> <br />Total number of users in Mambo Open Source: 0 <br />Number of users exported to UBB.threads: 0 <br />

I got this error on my test board as well, and I thought that it might have been due to its table prefix not being w3t_ but, I am encountering this same error when trying to merge it with my production database.

While trying to install the intergration component into my production mambo I got the following two errors:
Couldn't backup mambo.php, please follow instructions in the readme on how to replace this file.
Couldn't find old usermenu link to Your Details, make sure it is unpublished.

Although, I don't remember getting any errors when I installed it in my test mambo, I thought that it might be a factor. Currently, I am at a loss as to why both users tables are refusing to load with the query right before the foreach loop.

Addict
Addict
Tip 1: If you get an error message with info on how to fix the problem, follow it.

Tip 2: Always read the readme.

=]

I'm not sure if this is the problem, but if you haven't replaced the original classes/mambo.php file in Mambo the component will not work.

There is a whole bunch of things needed to be done, which are explained in somewhat detail in the readme. Try reading the installation information and see if that helps, if not I'll have to make further checks.

I'll try to add some checks in all scripts that the mambo.php file has been replaced and give warning if not for a future release.

Okay, I had lost track of the readme somewhere along the lines and I was flying kinda blind this time and had no idea where to find mambo.php. But, after a bit of back and forth and a few swings of the hammer the two databases are integrated.
Thanks.

Okay, I'm sure that this isn't in the readme.

I keep getting a pop up error message.
The title of the window is:
[JavaScript Application]

The text is:
_LOGIN_INCORRECT

And there is an okay button. This pops up sporadically when I go to mambo's index.php. It will then leave you on whatever page you were viewing. If you try a second time it works, but then you are logged out when you get to the mambo page. But, I will still be logged in if I go immediately back to threads.

This has been observed using both IE and Firefox by multiple users. My threads cookies are set to site wide. And both mambo's and thread's cookies have the same time for experation in the admin panels.

Any ideas on this would be appreciated. My mambo page is:
http://www.theiconsortium.com/index.php
and my forum is located at:
http://www.theiconsortium.com/iBASE

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

ETA:
Hmm, I just went to create a threadsdev user, but when I clicked on the New User link it took me to a page that said the following:
You are not authorized to view this resource.
You need to login.

Guess I will have to look and the instructions again.

Last edited by slayer60; 08/11/2004 4:44 PM.
Code Monkey
Code Monkey
I have that problem on my site too. Gardener thought he fixed it, but I still get it popping up.

Addict
Addict
That is a standard Mambo bug and I included the fix for it in the latest version of the integration. Could you possibly check with a clean install of Mambo 4.5 Stable 1.0.9 if you get the same problem? I've never encountered it myself so it's a bit hard for me to test it.

Okay, I've got a clean install and I have someone playing with it to see if the error will come up.

I just became a user through the Threads admin panel, but when I went to the mambo page it still saw me as the admin user. Is this a limitation of the integration or did I just completely mess up the integration?

ETA:
Is this the proper syntax for the link for registration:
http://www.theiconsortium.com/index.php?option=com_threadsintegration&task=register

Because that it is the URL it takes me to when I click the new user link.

ETA
Okay, I found out what I did wrong here. I had registrations turned off in Mambo.

My tester on the clean install has been playing with it on and off for a day. He has not encountered that error. The clean install is completely unmodified, and is using all default settings. Any ideas from there?

Addict
Addict
Nope, none. I don't even know what the bug was, how it happened and why the changes in the base code fixed it. But I did add the changes needed for it to the code for the integration. I can have a look at it and see if I see something, but I really have no idea what the problem can be and even less clue what to do it, and trial and error is more or less out of the question since it never happens to me. I'm really at a loss here.

Gardener, are you able to become a user through the Threads control panel and then go to the Mambo pages and still be recognized as the user that you became? It always recognizes me as the admin user that I logged in as when I go back to Mambo. Is this a limitation of the integration, or is this an indication of a fudged up implementation of the integration?

Addict
Addict
The integration doesn't support becoming a user at this time unfortunately.

What server platform are you on? LAMP, WAMP, if its a Linux server, would you please provide your version info? PHP version? Apache Version? I'm sorry to be such a pain, but perhaps it is something that I can have my host upgrade to fix.

I would appreciate any server related version info that you would be willing to offer.

Regards,
Jeff

ETA
Additionaly, does the integration support allowing users to choose their own password while registering?

Last edited by slayer60; 08/16/2004 3:42 PM.
Code Monkey
Code Monkey
Gardener, can you hook me up with whatever it is that makes that problem go away, because I'm still having it on my site.

Addict
Addict
I would if I had any clue to what it is. I just experienced it on an unaltered site so I'm guessing it's not really a problem with the integration.

It did however disappear when I logged out so it could be a cookie problem. You could either ask those who are having the problems to completely remove their cookies, or give them the Logout-link. That's my best tip for the moment.

I will try to investigate further.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
isaac
isaac
California
Forum Statistics
Forums63