Page 5 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 10 11
Lurker
Lurker
[]Ian_W said:
Make sure that under 'Initial Setip' tab,

Is IIP Entrance Opened?
Set to Yes for normal operation

is set to Yes [/]

Perhaps I'm just stupid, but I truly cannot find where under initial setup there's any place to make IIP opened or closed. Where exactly should I look. Thanks in advance for you patients.

Sponsored Links
Old Hand
Old Hand
at the bottom of the IIP initial setup tab it says

Is IIP Entrance Opened?
Set to Yes for normal operation.

Lurker
Lurker
Here's what I'm doing:
(1) Loging in as Admin.
(2) Going to Control Panel.
(3) From Control Panel going to "IIP Config".
(4) From the "IIP Configure Panel" the pages starts with "Initial Setup". No where on this page is there an option asking "Is IIP Entrance Opened?" How could this be?

Old Hand
Old Hand
at the bottom of the page you should see

[]
A board needs to be created to store shouts in. Use the keyword shoutboxpal when creating the board and make sure ALL GROUPS HAVE NO ACCESS to the board. All other board information will be disregarded by the shout box. Information placed in the form of posts to this board should only be done using the shout box. Allowing access to the boards from the forums is highly discouraged. Create Board Now

If using the IIP Sidebar use these instructions.

After modifying the database with this.

Is IIP Entrance Opened?
Set to Yes for normal operation.
[/]

Lurker
Lurker
Here's what I see:

Sponsored Links
Old Hand
Old Hand
the plot thickens you can't be using IIP 6.5 if you see that and definitly not the version contained here in.. how did you get to the IIP control panel? Did you click on a link at the bottom of the IIP entrance? What version does it say?

Lurker
Lurker
Version said 5.5 (???); wierd. I reinstalled the 6.5 version again, and all is well now. One final issue is that, on the entrance page, my logo/header does not show up; the path to the image not correct. When clicking the mainpage link, the logo is displayed just fine. Where can I change the path to graphics on the entrance page?

Thanks so much!!

Old Hand
Old Hand
what path is it displaying? what path does it require? IIP uses the header call from Threads so there isn't anything in IIP to change..

Lurker
Lurker
From the "Entrance" the following is displayed:
"http://www.mysite.com/images/forumimages/mysite_com.gif"

Should be displaying this:
"http://www.mysite.com/ubbthreads/images/forumimages/mysite_com.gif"

Any ideas?
Thanks!

Lurker
Lurker
Thanks a million to scroungr for his incredible patients and know-how; got me back on track likety split!

Sponsored Links
Old Hand
Old Hand
np send me a PM anytime

Veteran
Veteran
[]Ian_W said:
[]Ian_W said:
Sorry one other problem being reportd by some of my users.

Current Threads

I have spider friendly urls ticked.

People are getting an error, when they click on a current thread instead of http://www.fansfocus.com/forum/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/354201 they get http://www.fansfocus.com/forum/showflat.php/Cat//Number/354201 - i.e. the 0 is missing.

I have had the problem once or twice but now can't replicate - but others are still getting it.

Will try and do further digging to see why it ocurs some times and not others [/]

Okay - the problem is generated with the spider friendly script if there is no Cat number in the URL of the page containing the recent threads pal.

In the unfriendly version of showflat.php?Cat=$Cat&Number=$palNumber it works fine if Cat does not exist.

This happens more often on non-threads pages where the URL is just .php, but still uses the threads layout and sidebar.

http://www.fansfocus.com/forum/member/conferencetables.php?Cat=0 works
http://www.fansfocus.com/forum/member/conferencetables.php fails

(having said all that forum/index.php works without the Cat number ) [/]

Reaslised why so many people were complaining If the sidebar is on the left they work (in all situation except as above), if the bar is on the right then they all fail irrespective of the page. I can't spot an errors with the code - so going to rescript mine with the alternative version in the meantime.

Fans Focus - Focusing on Fans of Sport

(Okay - mainly football (the British variety wink at the moment - but expanding all the time....)
Old Hand
Old Hand
Hmmm just tried current threads and hot topics on my site on the right and on the left in the index and in the sidebar and there isn't any failure? what o/s are you using linux or windows? need more info to troubleshoot this issue cause it works on my site no problem...

Just installed IIP on my 6.5 version... love it! One thing I can't seem to figure is that when I move 'Current Threads' to the center section, all I get is the bullets and no subject lines... it's a stumper for me!
www.vintage-mustang.com - click on 'new vintage mustang forums'

You can login as username: fervor
pass: fervor123

Then go to http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/forums/

I don't have it published to the users yet, just the mods...

-bob

Veteran
Veteran
[]scroungr said:
Hmmm just tried current threads and hot topics on my site on the right and on the left in the index and in the sidebar and there isn't any failure? what o/s are you using linux or windows? need more info to troubleshoot this issue cause it works on my site no problem... [/]

Weird I am running IE 6.0 on XP (SP2) - I went in as a user who said it always failed for him, and noticed he had his on the right - when I clicked on any link they were all missing the 0 in /0/

I logged out of his - tried mine on the left first (worked no problem on the threads pages) - moved mine to the right and it failed straight away.

Puzzled as to why mine is loosing the 0 from /0/ in vasrious circumstances.

Will do some more digging if it is working on yours.

Ian

Fans Focus - Focusing on Fans of Sport

(Okay - mainly football (the British variety wink at the moment - but expanding all the time....)
Old Hand
Old Hand
works on mine with or without the 0

Old Hand
Old Hand
[]fervor said:
Just installed IIP on my 6.5 version... love it! One thing I can't seem to figure is that when I move 'Current Threads' to the center section, all I get is the bullets and no subject lines... it's a stumper for me!
www.vintage-mustang.com - click on 'new vintage mustang forums'

You can login as username: fervor
pass: fervor123

Then go to http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/forums/

I don't have it published to the users yet, just the mods...

-bob [/]

Current Threads
Can only be placed in Right or Left Columns.

been like that for as long as I can remember. Not sure why it was originally set like that but may be because of the size of the pal.

Thanks... didn't see that limitation... sorry for the interruption

-bob

Code Monkey
Code Monkey
I just noticed that there is no topthreads.pal in the UnSpiderFriendly Folder. Has it gone missing?

That is the only Pal box on my site that isnt working at the moment. Also what are the reasons/causes that Spider Friendly Links would not work on my site?

And one more ?
What is the SQL command for defaulting the IIP Sidebar Dislay to right side for all users?

Last edited by ChAoS; 10/20/2004 11:22 PM.
Old Hand
Old Hand
in your topthreads

Find

$myString .= "<tr><td align="left" valign="top">$spacer</td><td align="left" valign="top"><a href="{$config['phpurl']}/showflat.php/Cat/$Cat/Number/$palNumber">$palSubject</a></td></tr>";

change to

$myString .= "<tr><td align="left" valign="top">$spacer</td><td align="left" valign="top"><a href="{$config['phpurl']}/showflat.php?Cat=$Cat&Number=$palNumber">$palSubject</a></td></tr>";

to set it to rightside for all current users run the following

UPDATE w3t_Users SET U_SideBar = '2' that will set em all to rightside..

UPDATE w3t_Users SET U_SideBar = '1' will set to left..

UPDATE w3t_Users SET U_SideBar = '0' will disable it..

Last edited by scroungr; 10/21/2004 10:32 AM.
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
In the instructions about 3/4 the way down we are instructewd to edit ubbt.inc.php and to change 'ubbthreads/' to whatever our directory is. Could that be set in the directions to $config['phpurl']}/ or whatever threads usually uses as the url to the threads install?

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Old Hand
Old Hand
yeah will look into that.. will be pushing 6.5.1 on monday with the validation changes you asked for

Old Hand
Old Hand
yeah I guess ya could change it.. the function is already globalizing the $config so we could change it I tried it and it seems to work...

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
cool. one less thing to do.

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Old Hand
Old Hand
Okay updated the scripts to be w3 XHTML 1.0 Compliant and changed the way the ubbt.inc.php startpage part is called. Also triple checked the config writing and made sure it all works in environments with Globals disabled..

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Thanks for the updates

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Thanks scroungr - good stuff.

Code Monkey
Code Monkey
My IIP index page is stating that I cannot view the results of a poll until its over even though I can view it in the actual thread itself. I am pretty sure I didnt have that box checked.

Old Hand
Old Hand
its working opposite of what it says will fix hold tight

Old Hand
Old Hand
OK Updated it had the values reversed in the editconfigpal.php and .tmpl

Code Monkey
Code Monkey
I noticed that this is now 6.5.1
Do I upload everything but my custom pal boxes and configpal.inc.php?

Old Hand
Old Hand
I would because its now 100% XTHML certified.. I would upload all but those.. the custompal boxes...As long as you do NOT overwrite those there should be no issues... either that ot use Beyond Compare to compare them.. make sure you use unspiderfriendly ones because your server can't handle spider friendly url's

also you will need to update the the configpal.inc.php I changed some variables.

Code Monkey
Code Monkey
[]scroungr said:
....because your server can't handle spider friendly url's [/]

what causes that?

Old Hand
Old Hand
[] Introduction

When writing scripts, it is extremely important to have to ability to transfer information from one script to another. A common method to do this is with the GET convention. Search engine Web spiders, however, tend to ignore pages whose URL contains GET method parameters. If you're not sure what a GET method parameter is, here's an example of a URL with GET method parameters:

http://www.zend.com/mypage.php?myval=1&yourvar=2

The example URL passes two parameters to the script mypage.php: "myval" and "yourvar" with the values 1 and 2 respectively. When a search engine spider encounters such a URL while indexing your pages, the spider will ignore the URL and not index that particular page.

This can have a fairly detrimental effect on how your pages are indexed -- especially if you use the GET convention in your hyperlinks often. Today I'll show you how to use your Web server to pass parameters to PHP scripts so that it fools search engines, and allows your page to be indexed when it would otherwise be ignored.
What's wrong with the GET method

The GET method of transferring parameters between Web pages is by far the simplest method. It is particularly useful for passing parameters from within HREF tags. For example, assume you have a set of articles on your Web site and a single script that displays the articles in the desired fashion.

If you wanted to provide a simple hyperlink using <A HREF> to a particular article, you would need to pass the script a parameter telling it which article you would like to view using the GET convention. Unfortunately, Web spiders generally ignore hyperlinks that include parameters in the URL. This means that the page which the hyperlink points to -- as well as all pages referenced by it -- will be ignored by the Web spider indexing your site.
A spider-friendly GET gimmick

Now that you have a better understanding of the problem, let's look at the solution. In order for a spider to traverse (and consequently index) a given page, the URL must be free of any appearance of parameters. But if a given page requires parameters to function properly, what can be done? The answer lies in the use of the $PATH_INFO environment variable, which you can convert a URL from...
http://www.zend.com/myscript.php?myvalue=Hello

...to a spider-friendly format:
http://www.zend.com/myscript.php/myvalue/Hello

Notice that the spider-friendly format contains no indication that there are any parameters being passed at all. Rather, it simply looks like we are trying to access the directory on the zend.com site /myscript.php/myvalue/Hello, and any search engine spider that accesses the page won't have any trouble following the URL. Yet in reality we are executing the script myscript.php.

But what happened to your parameters?
How to GET your hidden data

Now that you have successfully hidden your parameters within what appears to be a directory structure, how do you get them out? Whenever a PHP script is executed with extra path data appended to the end of the filename (as we did in the spider-friendly example above), the Web server creates an environment variable $PATH_INFO containing this information. You can then access this environment variable through PHP automatically, and parse it to retrieve our data. So our earlier URL...

...would populate the $PATH_INFO variable with:

/myvalue/Hello

...from which you can then parse and retrieve the passed information.
Deciphering your data

Now that you know where your parameters are, the next step is to decipher them into a format that PHP can use. Although there is no required method for doing this, I'll assume that you have formatted your data in the following way:

/var_name/var_data/var2_name/var2_data/...

Using this method, all that is left is to:

* break the provided string every time we encounter a slash ('/')
* create variables to associate the given names (var_name, var2_name, etc.) with their respective values (var_data, var2_data, etc.)

With all of this in mind, let's look at some real code.
The script

As with many powerful techniques, the code required to create this ability in your scripts is not difficult to develop. The process consists of traversing an array based on the $PATH_INFO, and creating variables based on that data. In the end, the object is to take the URL...

...then use the data provided in the $PATH_INFO variable to construct corresponding variables:

$myvalue = "Hello"
Code flow

* Check for the existence of $PATH_INFO
* Split $PATH_INFO into an array
* If the total number of parameters is even, add an extra empty element at the end to simplify the traversal in the next step
* Traverse array and create variables based on the $PATH_INFO data

<?php

if(isset($PATH_INFO)) {

$vardata = explode('/', $PATH_INFO);

$num_param = count($vardata);

if($num_param % 2 == 0) {

$vardata[] = '';
$num_param++;
}

for(var $i = 1; $i < $num_param; $i += 2) {

$$vardata[$i] = $vardata[$i+1];
}
}

?>

NOTE: If the $PATH_INFO variable does contain a value (if no parameters were passed it will not be set), the first element in the $vardata array will be empty (with the actual data starting at index 1). Therefore, it is important to take this into account when parsing and populating variables as we did in the above code.
A step further

In the above script, not only are the assigned values to variables based on the $PATH_INFO of the script, but also the variable names themselves. This was done to show parallels between this method of passing parameters and the GET method. However, in most cases you can assume the names of the passing parameters.

For example, say you would like to pass a first and last name to the script through our $PATH_INFO method. Using the code above, the URL would resemble the following...

http://www.mysite.com/myscript.php/first/John/last/Coggeshall

...to create the variables $first and $last and assign the values "John" and "Coggeshall" respectively. However, when using the $PATH_INFO method, you have more flexibility than with a GET method. The same URL could be written in the following fashion...

http://www.mysite.com/myscript.php/John/Coggeshall

...and then the script could use the following to retrieve the data:

list($dummy, $first, $last) = explode('/', $PATH_INFO);

This would allow the script to statically define variables as necessary for that script. Using this method, the variables $first and $last will always be created and set to the first and second values separated by a slash. Note also the third variable $dummy must also be created to deal with the first slash in $PATH_INFO. This could also be avoided in the following manner:

list($first, $last) = explode('/', substr($PATH_INFO,1));
Final notes

It is important to point out that we are expanding the parameter passing abilities of PHP, rather than changing them. You can you use this script to hide parameters you pass to your script, as well as pass parameters to it with standard GET or POST methods as usual.

Because this script is so transparent, feel free to prepend it to any script either through the auto_prepend directive or with a simple include() statement.
About John Coggeshall

John Coggeshall is a PHP consultant and author who started losing sleep over PHP around five years ago. Lately you'll find him losing sleep meeting deadlines for books or online columns on a wide range of PHP topics. You can find his work online at O'Reilly Networks onlamp.com and Zend Technologies, or at his website http://www.coggeshall.org/.

John has also contributed to WROX Press' Professional PHP4 Programming and is currently in the progress of writing the PHP Developer's Handbook published by Sams Publishing.
Readers' Comments [/]

Original Article by John Coggeshall

So basically it will fail on your server because of the way apache is configured.. It doesn';t allow for you to use the GET Method and thus it will fail. There is nothing you can do at this point. You could try the mod rewrite way (do a search on the net) but I think that would fail also with your present configuration.

Code Monkey
Code Monkey
Ok I uploaded all files and when I am in the control panel it shows every Pal box as being off (Page Layout) My settings are unchanged in my configpal.inc.php although. How do I update or refresh the Control Panel to reflect the config settings without zapping them?

Old Hand
Old Hand
okay I fixed it for you.. I renamed the variables to more congruent with the rest of the boxes.. they all are Capitalized first words now in the index_include section.. I was getting lost in the mix until I did this.. so yeah you needed to upload the new configpal.inc.php as well as the new index.php.. I did it for ya.. all is good..

Last edited by scroungr; 10/23/2004 9:45 PM.
Code Monkey
Code Monkey
aww your the greatest-you still need that chainsaw?

Old Hand
Old Hand
Actually I bought the Chainsaw. Now I am saving up for a Mulching Mower

Old Hand
Old Hand
okay thanx to Chaos I uploaded a new version.. tested out on his funky server setup.

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Any way of getting SEF url's to work on a Win2k/IIS server? I have been searching a little without much luck smirk

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Page 5 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 10 11

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
Ruben Rocha
Ruben Rocha
Lutz,FL,USA
Forum Statistics
Forums63