Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#280194 09/30/2004 12:57 PM
I'm currently working on Facelift for Threads 6.5 on my dev site -if you want to get involved in its development then register and post feedback

Sponsored Links
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
I'm seeing some weird effects in the header, including broken image placeholders in IE6 (despite images loading) and a far, far too-wide horizontal bar pushing everything else out of the way in Firefox 1.0PR.

Looks pretty good otherwise. I like the separate tables for each post.

Last edited by Charles Capps; 09/30/2004 3:30 PM.

UBB.classic: Love it or hate it, it was mine.
Coder
Coder
How did you seperate the main page without it getting all whacked like 6.4? I remember something that they said to do to add it but it made the forums wacked to the left and right....

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Should the 'post' link on the forum page need to disappear to those not able to post? (those not logged in like I am)

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
btw, looks good

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Sponsored Links
[]Charles Capps said:
I'm seeing some weird effects in the header, including broken image placeholders in IE6 (despite images loading) and a far, far too-wide horizontal bar pushing everything else out of the way in Firefox 1.0PR.

Looks pretty good otherwise. I like the separate tables for each post. [/]

I've got both IE 6 and Firefox and I'm not seeing either of the problems you reported. The only error I see is the alignment in the background between the body and the logo with Firefox (FF starts the background 1 pixel off from IE grrr...... ).

Is anyone else seeing the same errors that Charles is reporting? I'll walk the script in my templates just in case...

Edit: I didn't find any html errors.

Last edited by Dalantech; 10/02/2004 4:18 AM.
[]DrChaos said:
How did you seperate the main page without it getting all whacked like 6.4? I remember something that they said to do to add it but it made the forums wacked to the left and right.... [/]

I had my main page seprated in 6.4 as well (www.dalantech.com -if I haven't upgraded to 6.5 by the time you see this post).

I moved $tbopen and &tbclose to put them inside the loops -the only difficult one is the placement of $tbclose. When I publish Facelift just load my ubbthreads.tmpl file and the original into a program like Beyond Compare to see how it's done

[]AllenAyres said:
Should the 'post' link on the forum page need to disappear to those not able to post? (those not logged in like I am) [/]

I've been working on the "posting" templates (post, reply, and edit) so I haven't realy had a chance to look the post link over -but it's on my "to do" list

IE 6, I see what Charles sees.

Here's link to a screen cap I took.

Clicky

The image is where it's suppose to be. I deleted the .htaccess file -let me know what you see now please.

Sponsored Links
Update: I opened up Test forum 1 for guest posting so you don't have to register to check out the post, reply, and edit pages

I still see the x's in IE6.

Here's what I see in Mozilla Clicky

Thanks for the update: I've asked the members of my site to check it out as well. I don't see either error, so I'm a little confused...

[]Zackary said:
IE 6, I see what Charles sees.

Here's link to a screen cap I took.

Clicky [/]

Fixed -bad url for the image (dalantech instead of etherger).

Looks good in both IE6 and Mozilla.

I figured that both problems were caused by the bad URL -it's just that the two browsers displayed it differently

Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Much better looking now.

UBB.classic: Love it or hate it, it was mine.
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
does look pretty sweet

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Thanks

I've upgraded my main site to 6.5 and I'm tweaking the templates there. It will be a few more days before I have Facelift ready -too much real life gettin' in the way of my scriptin' lately

Edit: I've updated the dev site with the files that I've been tweaking on my production board. New posting templates!

Last edited by Dalantech; 10/05/2004 8:30 AM.
Coder
Coder
The posting template is the one where I look into it myself. It would be nice to have all markup/color/greamlins on empty space near the posting box oin the same high so you not need to scroll down while writing.

The problem to this Idea is the variable, userselectable, width of the posting box. If the box larger then default it will destroy the layout.

How sounds the idea to put a line with the UBB code funktion on top of the posting box ? This is most time used und so you can use it without scrolling.

That would be great except for one little problem: there is one template that generates the font colors, instant UBB code, and Graemlins. If they were seperate I could move them anywhere, but all three are on a single template and are a single variable in the pages that use them.

I could break them out, but I'd have to change the function that creates the group and add two more -and in the past I've made Facelift a template only mod. I may not get away with it this time since I've already had to hack the addpost and modify post scripts for the post icon pull down...

[]AllenAyres said:
Should the 'post' link on the forum page need to disappear to those not able to post? (those not logged in like I am) [/]

Done, plus the previous and next dead hyperlinks are now gone -and it seemed easier to do in this version of Threads than the last...

New posting templates

Edit: I'm working on splitting up the $instant_ubbcode variable (ubb code, font colors, and graemlins) so the page may look a little odd until I get it finished.

Last edited by Dalantech; 10/10/2004 4:31 AM.
[]Zarzal said:
The posting template is the one where I look into it myself. It would be nice to have all markup/color/greamlins on empty space near the posting box oin the same high so you not need to scroll down while writing.

The problem to this Idea is the variable, userselectable, width of the posting box. If the box larger then default it will destroy the layout.

How sounds the idea to put a line with the UBB code funktion on top of the posting box ? This is most time used und so you can use it without scrolling. [/]

Done, but the graemlins had to go to the right of the post box. I placed the font colors along the right, and the instant ubb code at the bottom of the post box on my posting pages -I also modified all of the private message posting screens as well.

Addict
Addict
Now move all the extra bits into quick reply and do away with the posting page LOL

- Custom Web Development
http://www.JCSWebDev.com
I don't like quick reply: I have it enabled on my dev site just so I can edit it for the people who do use it.

I don't like it because it screws up the reply tracking. If you take a look at a post on my site you can clearly see who a reply is from. For example:

[In response to Fortch post #68748]

The post number is a hyperlink to Fortch's post. Quick reply tags the last poster as the one you are replying to, but if that isn't the person the reply is intended for the reply tracking is hosed...

Edit: I just noticed the java script in the showflat.tmpl file is tere specificly to keep post tracking in order -so I've enabled it on my main site

Last edited by Dalantech; 10/10/2004 3:37 PM.
Addict
Addict
Then add the code to it to make it work as the other does.

- Custom Web Development
Facelift for Threads 6.5 version 2...

Last edited by Dalantech; 10/10/2004 3:22 PM.
[]J.C. said:
Now move all the extra bits into quick reply and do away with the posting page LOL [/]

Hmmm... not easily done, but doable. I may make a stab at it after Facelift is released -I need to get it out the door so I can move on to other things...

[]J.C. said:
Now move all the extra bits into quick reply and do away with the posting page LOL [/]

I'm getting closer...

[]Dalantech said:
Edit: I've updated the dev site with the files that I've been tweaking on my production board. New posting templates! [/]

Updated again...

Addict
Addict
Kewl, makes more sense than having both...

- Custom Web Development
Coder
Coder
The new posting screen ROXX Very nice work. I still waiting for release.

I got the idea for the layout from the quick reply box -once I split the graemlins, font color, and instan ubb code into three different variables it was easy to modify the layout

Coder
Coder
I hope I find a way (if released) to put in the hacks for for 'more graemlins' and 'insert my photos'. It's a challenge for me

With permission, I'm gonna include the templates / instructions for the Graemlin panel with Facelift. I don't use the "insert my photos", but if you need help with it just let me know and I'll see what I can do (it won't be a standard part of Facelift).

I'm going to try to get Facelift out the door this weekend -but keep in mind it's an actuall hack this time and not just a template replacement...

Lurker
Lurker
Hiya,

I'm quite new to this UBB stuff so maybe this has been told a lot of times before, is off topic or complete bullshit. In this case, take my apologies in advance. ;-)

When hacking the css/templates I wondered why there is absolutely no use if the so wonderful 'id' attribute all xhtml tags have. This makes it almost completely impossible to do any css-skinning beyond basic stuff like colors, borders and fonts.

It would be nice to have a unique ID for the different tables so they can be rendered at different locations, be replaced by images, made invisible, ...

IMHO all calls to 'tbopen' should include (an optional) id.

As a second step you should consider bloating the number of style classes used and make use of style class derivation. So the 'stylist' has the posibility to style the 'reply' button different from the 'continue' button an so on.

I understand what you are saying, but IMHO it's overkill. I actually remove quite a few classes from the stock Threads templates because there isn't any sense in using the same class three layers deep in a template -the first declaration of it is all that's needed (inheritance will take care of the rest).

As for making the buttons different: Uniformaty is an asset of a well designed web site -the only time I've see radicle color designs is on "ranbow bright" web sites and I have no intention of scripting for them

Look at my site, www.dalantech.com , and see what I've done just by simply adding wrapper graphics to the tbopen and tbclose templates and adding a gradient to tdheader...

Lurker
Lurker
Well looking below my current "Quick-Reply-Window" there are 4 Buttons, each having a different icon (Previous, Index, Next, Threaded). They DO differ in the icon. IMO, this icon should not be an img-tag as it is now but be a background-image in the css. As a matter of fact img-tags should only be used where the image is part of the content and not of the presentation (smilies, images from gallery, ...)

I agree there are a lot of redundant classes in the current templates which can be replaced by subadressing (is it called that) in the CSS. (Or better, there is a lot of html code which could be replaced by slick styling, I believe) But there are a lot of places where more classes could clean up the code and make the pages smaller, more efficent and faster loading. Replacing all the img tags by a class in the surrounding a is the most obvious way.

The problem with using background images is that they can be hidden if there is a problem with scaling the page or the browser you're using doesn't support all the CSS properties you've asigned to the class that controls the images...

You also can't asign an html hyperlink to a background image -so how are you going to make the icons active links? By creating a transperent forground image to go over each one? Why bother...

[] But there are a lot of places where more classes could clean up the code and make the pages smaller, more efficent and faster loading. [/]

I couldn't have said it better...

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
Forum Statistics
Forums63
Topics37,573
Posts293,925
Members13,849