Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Joined: Apr 2003
Posts: 359
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Joined: Apr 2003
Posts: 359
Currently running UBB.threads v6.4
----------------------------------

I am currently running threads v6.4 and would like to upgrade to the latest version of threads.

However, I would like to upgrade to another url on my webserver so that I can test this new version with all the hacks that I intend on installing with it as well. I want to do this so that I can test out how it will react with the hacks and my database prior to actually running it on my current url. I would rather not interrupt my users on the site while I'm checking how this version will run and with the hacks.

Thank you,
Mark

Sponsored Links
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 173
Member
Member
Offline
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 173
Yes you can, I am running my main site on www.parentforum.org/ubbthreads/

My test site is running on www.parentforum.org/testsite/ubbthreads
I have no problems with either

Joined: Aug 2002
Posts: 1,191
Kahuna
Kahuna
Joined: Aug 2002
Posts: 1,191
It is best if you create a new database, make a backup of the original (live) database and restore it in the new database. Then you upload the forum software to a new "subdomain" or folder on your server, connecting the new version 6.5 to the new database.

You run the upgrade scripts and then start applying the modifications you need. Once you are done and happy, all you need is to download the files from the new location and upload them to the old one (live site). Following that you will need to run the upgrade script so that the database is upgraded as well.

You cannot run 6.4 and 6.5 from the same database to the best of my knowledge.

A more convenient way is if you do all this on your computer after having installed Apache (or IIS), php and mysql instead of using the space and bandwidth of your server


Nikos
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 550
Code Monkey
Code Monkey
Offline
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 550
Yes....I am using Uniform Server 3.0 for this
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles...lease_id=205701

(the new releases 3.1 and 3.2 use php 5 which ubbthreads has issues with....)

Joined: Apr 2003
Posts: 359
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Joined: Apr 2003
Posts: 359
Nice... Thank you all for the responses. Time to get to work.

Sponsored Links

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
• Shock Hosting
• Stable Host
• bluehost
• InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
JAISP
JAISP
PA
Posts: 449
Joined: February 2008
Forum Statistics
Forums63
Topics37,583
Posts293,955
Members13,825
Most Online151,614
Nov 14th, 2025
Today's Statistics
Currently Online 4570
Topics Created 0
Posts Made 0
Users Online 0
Birthdays 27
Top Posters
AllenAyres 21,080
JoshPet 10,369
LK 7,394
Lord Dexter 6,708
Gizmo 5,834
Greg Hard 4,625
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Likes Received
isaac 82
Gizmo 20
Brett 7
WebGuy 2
Morgan 2
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
None yet
The UBB.Developers Network (UBB.Dev/Threads.Dev) is ©2000-2026 VNC Web Services

 
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.1.0
(Snapshot build 20260108)