Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#282654 12/21/2004 2:09 AM
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Mod Name / Version: Show User IPs 2.0

Description: This will show all IPs that a user has used.

Working Under: UBB.Threads 6.5

Mod Status: Beta

Any pre-requisites:

Author(s): JoshPet

Date: 12/20/04

Credits: Lisa_P for the original functionality and Chevy454 for commissioning update for 6.5

Files Altered: /templates/default/admin/showuser.tmpl

New Files: showip.php to the /admin directory

Database Altered: none

Info/Instructions: Edit the user and click "show IPs" to view the IPs that they have posted from.

Disclaimer: Please backup every file that you intend to modify.
If the modification modifies the database, it's a good idea to backup your database before doing so.

Note: If you modify your UBB.Threads code, you may be giving up your right for "official" support from Infopop.If you need official support, you'll need to restore unmodified files.
Attachments
123994-ShowIPs2.0.zip (0 Bytes, 125 downloads)

Sponsored Links
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Josh, installed on my 6.5 with breeze and working great so far. It's a great addition for us Admins.

Thanks Josh, Lisa_P, and Chevy454!

coffee and code
coffee and code
is it possible to list these in order of DATE?

and if there are multiple by that date, to only show a single occurrence and list the most recent date it was used on?

How about adding a COUNT to the number of posts that IP address used... so admins can see if it's really worth banning the IP or any other action.

And lastly - is there a way to make the IP clickable and show all posts that were made with that single IP address?

This all may seem like a lot, but I've been heavily using this hack since 6.3 and haven't dove too deeply into updating it much

Thanks for everything - this is awesome!!

Current developer of UBB.threads PHP Forum Software
Current Release: UBBT 7.7.5 // Preview: UBBT 8.0.0
isaac @ id242.com // my forum @ CelicaHobby.com
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
It should only list DISTINCT IPs at this point.

Power User
Power User
What an awesome mod! Very handy indeed.

Big thanks indeed to Josh, Lisa_P, and Chevy454 for sharing.

Sponsored Links
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Josh, I'm not a computer go-to man and I had a question come up about this code.

We recently had a couple of new join members register with the same IP address that we discovered as there were some trash posts going on.

I updated my Moderators about this and one of the Moderators said that he had chatted with one of the users in question and the user assured him that they were not the same people.

So, my question to you is how does this code gather IPs so I can better inform my Moderators that this hack isn't spitting out bad info for us? I'm not up to speed on how this kinda schtuff works is all....

Thanks Josh.

coffee and code
coffee and code
AOL members and persons using the same ISP in neighboring cities are more likely to share the same IP Addresses over time

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
This code doesn't do anything like that, this code simply displays IPs which UBB.Threads already stores in one convienent place.

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Josh, your answer really didn't help me here....not trying to be a jerk...I'm just trying to understand so I can better inform my Moderators.

Thanks Josh,
Mark

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
The user's IP address is stored when they register, and when they make each post. All this mod does is display them all in one place (and unique IPs of posts).

You can view the same information in threads, but you have to look in multiple places to do so. You have to edit their profile to see their registration IP and you have to look at each post to see the IP they posted.

Thid mod doesn't change or interpret anything, it just displays that info on one page so you can see it all at a glance. Otherwise you'd have to browse the profile and the posts to see the IPs they are using.

Sponsored Links
Power User
Power User
I've added a little more functionality to this already useful mod. It allows you to optionally view a User's IPs by a monthly basis. Attached is the updated showip.txt file; you'll have to rename it to .php and then you just need to make the following change to the showuser template:

###
### Open /templates/default/admin/showuser.tmpl
###

##
## Find this:
##

</td><td class="paddingtop paddingbottom stdautorow colored-row" valign="top">
$lastpost - $lastpostip
<br />
<a href="{$config['phpurl']}/admin/showip.php?Cat=$Cat&User=$uid" target="_blank">Show User's IPs</a>
</td></tr>

#
# Change to this:
#

$lastpost - $lastpostip
<br />
<a href="{$config['phpurl']}/admin/showip.php?Cat=$Cat&User=$uid" target="_blank">Show User's IPs</a>
| <a href="{$config['phpurl']}/admin/showip.php?Cat=$Cat&User=$uid&Group=month" target="_blank">Show User's IPs by month</a>
</td></tr>

When Editing a user you'll now have two links:

Show User's IPs | Show User's IPs by month

There's a lot of potential to add value to the showip function. I have a couple of more ideas in mind but I'll put this out there as a start.
Attachments
124428-showip.txt (0 Bytes, 85 downloads)

coffee and code
coffee and code
Thank you Myke !!!
This is an excellent addition and more of the direction in which I was looking for!

Extremely nice addition!!!

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
A neat feature on this as well would be that as you view a member's profile....there would also be a link to show you what other members are sharing the same IP address.

Thanks,
Mark

I love this mod! Thank you!!!

Veteran
Veteran
Works fine under 6.5.1 (no reason why it shouldn't)

Fans Focus - Focusing on Fans of Sport

(Okay - mainly football (the British variety wink at the moment - but expanding all the time....)
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
[]Myke said:
I've added a little more functionality to this already useful mod. It allows you to optionally view a User's IPs by a monthly basis. Attached is the updated showip.txt file; you'll have to rename it to .php and then you just need to make the following change to the showuser template:

###
### Open /templates/default/admin/showuser.tmpl
###

##
## Find this:
##

$lastpost - $lastpostip
<br />
</td></tr>

#
# Change to this:
#

$lastpost - $lastpostip
<br />
| <a href="{$config['phpurl']}/admin/showip.php?Cat=$Cat&User=$uid&Group=month" target="_blank">Show User's IPs by month</a>
</td></tr>

When Editing a user you'll now have two links:

Show User's IPs | Show User's IPs by month

There's a lot of potential to add value to the showip function. I have a couple of more ideas in mind but I'll put this out there as a start. [/]

Hi Myke, I added the change in the code as you wrote, but when I click on the IPs by Month link....it still just lists all the IPs but doesn't look any different than Show User's IPs.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
Nettomo
Nettomo
Germany, Bremen
Forum Statistics
Forums63