Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#285422 05/25/2005 12:13 AM
Lurker
Lurker
Hey all, i have had a problem installing style sheets, For some reason internet explorer displays a completly different output to firefox, my url is
http://www.freeringtones.st/ubbthreads.php

I have tried installing more than 1 style sheet and for some reason it does not only not display the background color but it also changes the format of my page. Please someone give me some input on this as im stuck!

Sponsored Links
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Start by making sure your code validates so that you know it should display in all browsers as the w3 requests: http://validator.w3.org

From there we can look at specific issues. It may be cookie-related.

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Lurker
Lurker
I have had the same problem and would like to hear any insight.

Lurker
Lurker
Yes, but wouldnt u think that firefox would be displaying the page incorrectly if the coding was not met to the w3c standards?? from my experience i have found IE to display my "messy/sloppy" code alot better than firefox.. I know my code is NOT w3c certified and it will take me some working to get it to that point, I can do this but i still believe there has to be something more too it for Internet Explorer not to display it and for firefox to.. Any other input would be great but ill go ahead and make my site to the w3c standards. Where u refering to XHTML or HTML under the w3c standards??

Old Hand
Old Hand
nope actually its the other way around.. IE is PICKY as hell..and VERY unsecure.. Mozilla is god...

Sponsored Links
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
IE will display anything you throw at it, but not well sometimes. If you are having display issues you should always check to make sure your code validates well, then we'll know it's not your coding that's the problem and can find the problem more quickly

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Lurker
Lurker
Ok i have valididated my code and it is all fixed to w3c standards for XHTML. But, still no change. So now is it possible for someone to take a look and give me their opinion on why it may be doing this?

Code Monkey
Code Monkey
Use
<body bgcolor="#000000">
instead of just
<body>

Lurker
Lurker
Its not just the background that isnt showing, If you look at my site in both Firefox and IE, You will notice that the forum spreads accross the whole page (Firefox) but only covers 1/2 of it (and aligned to the left) in IE. Shouldnt the background be fine if its specified in the CSS Stylesheet? I thought that using <body bgcolor> is infact a worse way to do it, and using CSS is more recommended.

Lurker
Lurker
Any idea's any1? This is really anoying me as to why it doesnt work.

Sponsored Links
well for the width issue, it's cause you put it into a cell that had a width set for 800.
Code
<td colspan="3" width="800" height="100%">

You also have the table tag set to use "FAFAFA" as the background color. Firefox ignores this, as it's not a valid color. However, IE is lenient, and assumes you mean "#FAFAFA", which is the white color you're seeing

Code
<table cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" border="0" bgcolor="FAFAFA">

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
Gizmo
Gizmo
Portland, OR, USA
Forum Statistics
Forums63