Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
If a user is interested only in A.1 he can go into subforum A.1 and will only see posts that are of interest.

If a user likes to know all about A, he goes into forum A. No need to go deeper into the subs.

Search results will be displayed only once, because every posting is still unique in the db.

If you have
Cat A
Forum A.1
Forum A.2

where do you post a new topic that does not fit into A.1 and A.2, but generally into A?

Sponsored Links
Addict
Addict
Into Forum A.0 for all general discussions about that topic.

Addict
Addict
I think the whole forum topology needs to be rethought. Instead of structured as a tree, it could be structured as a network, or some kind of relational entity.

[]Astaran said:
Yeah, subcategories would make sence, subforums not (in my opinion).

I tried to explain that in this thread. [/]

oooh it makes sense. I have the need for this for example.

forum1
-forum1a info (public)
-forum1a news (public)
-forum1b internal (protoected)

this is nothing you can handle with subcategories.

subforums are one of the main reasons why I am thinking of switching over to vB 3.0

they have no also so nice things like public or usergroup votes etc.

I know that many many features are only nice to have but sometimes they are really useful.

With 6.4 ubbt is coming near to the featurelist of a vb3 but vb has still its nose in front and thats something that was not the case 2 years ago. everyone had an infopop ubb classic and not a vb but the people love the hacks and that they're going to implement all crap :-)

90% of the boards never have more then 3000 users and actual webserver have enough power to deal with many many forum queries so implement what is possible and ask later on who needs it :-)

Veteran
Veteran
I'll take any sort of sub

Fans Focus - Focusing on Fans of Sport

(Okay - mainly football (the British variety wink at the moment - but expanding all the time....)
Sponsored Links
Code Monkey
Code Monkey
I agree w/ Omegatron & Astaran. I'd rather have subcategories. One other thing which seems simple enough which I would like is to make it so a forum could appear in more than one category.

I have two additional things:

1: Announcement for all forums via Adminmenu
If you want to post an announcement into all forum it should be possible to mark the single forums or simply all and write a text. The Announcement should be place above the threads as single table and not as sticky thread.

2: Defineable forum creation templates
I offently have to create the same type of forum where only the name is different. They have the same usergroups and the same descriptions and settings so it would be nice if this could be predefined.
Not onlt 'create forum' but 'create forum or forum based on template' would be really helpful

Veteran
Veteran
You might want to post the suggestions at the IP community - they might get missed here.

But I agree an announcement type post would be good - but with the ability to control which forums it is displayed in.

Fans Focus - Focusing on Fans of Sport

(Okay - mainly football (the British variety wink at the moment - but expanding all the time....)
Addict
Addict
[]1: Announcement for all forums via Adminmenu [/]
I've done a hack for this and send it over to Josh. I don't know weather he ported it to 6.3 or/and has documented it yet.

Last edited by Astaran; 08/14/2003 9:09 AM.
[]Astaran said:
[]1: Announcement for all forums via Adminmenu [/]
I've done a hack for this and send it over to Josh. I don't know weather he ported it to 6.3 or/and has documented it yet. [/]

Good to know that there might be a hack which can solve this but this is exactly what I am talking about. Why not directly implementing such stuff to make it a standard?

If someone don't need it he/she simply makes no announcement and thats it ;-)

I think Josh has direct contact with Rick so it would be nice to take this as a suggestion.

Its not easy to follow all requests but implementing hacks which are already existing couldn't be so hard or?
Rick has so much knowledge about all that stuff that (I think) it should only be rewriting and testing or?

Make it a killer application or discuss day by day why people should buy an ubbt if they can have a vb3 for less or an phpbb2 for free. Am I wrong if I say that features make a board attractive? Turn off what you don't need as admin but as author give the people all you can or?

Sponsored Links
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
All the features have to come down from Infopop.... so make sure you post them at the Feature Suggestion forum over at Infopop Community.
That's how they end up included.

Infopop="Offical Threads Site"
Threadsdev="Threads Geeks who like to tear apart and rebuild Threads in thier own image"

I think that about sums it up.

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Hmmm......

Well navaho said that we could "have a ball with it, tease your friends and neighbors with it because they can't get one yet ".... so what the heck.

If you are eager to see the development beta of 6.4 in action.... go to my site http://www.joshuapettit.com and play.

Try to break it, I dare ya.
Post any bugs you find there so that I can report them through the proper channels.

Three words...

New Polls RULE!

Thanks for the peek Josh!

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
yeah! great new search engine amazing calendar

I love the calender. It looks really good.

When I attempted to created a user for the threadsdev test board it gave the following error:
Fatal error: Call to undefined function: headers() in /home/virtual/site2/fst/var/www/html/beta/adduser.php on line 451

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
danke... scream has been on a bug-squashing tear this morning... the next beta will be much better

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?

It registered slayer60 but it didn't email me the password...just to be more specific.

When I requested my password it came from:
[][email protected][/] <[email protected]>; [][email protected][/] <[email protected]>

Not sure if it is a bug or a config thing.

Guru
Guru
Allen, did you update the adduser.php file on that site? It's trying to find a headers() function which should no longer be in any of the code.

UBB.threads Developer
I would just like to thank Scream for letting us get our grubby mits on the developement copy of 6.4. It looks spiftastic.

BrokenToy #292493 08/21/2003 2:56 PM
This seems like a bug. When viewing the "Who's Online" page, under "Anonymous Users" it displays this:

Anonymous 08/21/03 12:32 PM Viewing their "My Home"

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Thats usually when google or such hits the start_page.php.

Who's online locaion is just based off whatever script they've hit. That happens normally, likewise you can see anonymous users "editing their profile" and such. They aren't really. Usually the bots are just hitting an error message that they must be logged in.

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Updated to 6.4 Dev 2 - so you can go bang on it some more.

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Hey Josh
This has prolly been covered but have a quick question on how the new calander and birthdays work for 6.4, will there be an option to not have birthdays in the calander? The reason I ask is that with 15,000 users in my forums there would almost be certain someones birthday on every single day of the year making it very frustrating to find events. (every day would be a link to someones b-day)

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Hmmmm....

Looks like currently there's an option to turn the birthday listing on and off for the main forum page. I don't see any way to restrict them from the calendar.

Rick?

"Added a column to display the user's avatars on the member list"

Hey ! This is from me ! ( Avatars in user list)

COOL

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
[]JoshPet said:
Hmmmm....

Looks like currently there's an option to turn the birthday listing on and off for the main forum page. I don't see any way to restrict them from the calendar.

Rick? [/]
Yeah, it might be a good idea to have an option to turn off for the calendar as well, large sites will have every day of every month show as a link to birthdays, then when someone has an event it will just get lost in the shuffle, then no one will want to use it.

I would definitely agree with ColoradoK5's opinion to have the birthdays showing on the calendar an optional thing. Even with a relatively small user base (compared to his), it would clutter up the calendar, IMHO.

Addict
Addict
third to say that about the calendar... I'd rather have it for site specific events, not birthdays. So that should definately be an option, or at least not display on the main calendar.

Guru
Guru
Ok, you're wish is my command! Option added

UBB.threads Developer
Addict
Addict

That is awesome, thanks

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
[]Scream said:
Ok, you're wish is my command! Option added [/]

Right on!! eace:

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
how we did it with the ubb calendar was give an option in the control panel so that you can decide that if there's more than 2 birthdays on a particular date it was changed to one clickable entry birthdays [4] keeps the calendar clean

{option not turned on there )

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
https://www.ubbdev.com/beta/ubbthreads.php?Cat=

6.4 dev4.. gettin closer to a public beta

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Addict
Addict
Wow, this thing is just moving along isn't it Great work!

We should see a new version for the holidays if all is well looks like.

Addict
Addict
Which holiday? canadian thanksgiving? halloween? election day? veterans day? usa thanksgiving? hanukkah? christmas? new years?

But yeah, should see it before the end of the year. Maybe it will be another christmas day supprise

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
JAISP
JAISP
PA
Forum Statistics
Forums63