Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Veteran
Veteran
Can we have a British language file - you can even leave out sub-forums if we can have a British language file

Fans Focus - Focusing on Fans of Sport

(Okay - mainly football (the British variety wink at the moment - but expanding all the time....)
Sponsored Links
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Threads has one now. It's /languages/english

Addict
Addict
Differences

Eng: Brit:
Color Colour
Josh <mod edited>
J.C. Mindless Twit
Nav Geezer
Rick Rick

LOL

Last edited by Ian_W; 08/10/2004 12:26 PM.
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
One correction....

Josh -> Genius

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
[]Charles Capps said:
[]Please tell me the new product will be seamless, or at least offer the user a redirection to the same topic.[/]

There will be a move kit that will silently redirect users. It'll even send the proper HTTP code (301 instead of 302), which should allow supporting browsers to silently change the bookmark to the new page location. [/]

Will this 301 keep the search engine from removing your page linked in the search engines? I've read that google hates re-directs, but if this works well then basically we can have double the pages in google

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Sponsored Links
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
That would be cool, if not we'd have to leave threadsdev in place "read only" with a big banner pointing to the new forum. We're up over 50,000 listings here.

Veteran
Veteran
[]JoshPet said:
Threads has one now. It's /languages/english [/]

You are correct for my version US English is /languages/us_english

(Okay - mainly football (the British variety wink at the moment - but expanding all the time....)
Journeyman
Journeyman
This saddens me greatly

Infopop should release the source so that someone else could continue the work on UBB.Threads

uh... the source has been released... all people who run UBB.threads boards have the source

Unless you mean the source as in Rick... but I think he likes working there

Sponsored Links
Code Monkey
Code Monkey
He means the source as in Open Source.

Old Hand
Old Hand
I think he means they should make the ubbthreads source code opensource so someone else can develop it as such now you really can't legally develop it only mod it.

Coder
Coder
With all the posted in this thread I am both scared and anxious. Im looking forward to the evolution of threads and classic to see what it becomes but at the same time I am scared about the abandonment of threads and classic.

Its basically comes down to a "Move or Loose" situation. Threads and classic will be merging and all support for both, independly, will no longer be available. Move to the new BB software or Loose every bit of support.

Me being a total nu-b in php and coding threads I would Have to hire someone (again) to add / change any custom mods that I have already paid for. Im not talking about photophost or paypal mods. Im talking about mods that are custom to indiv. forums that were made and coded in for that forums use only.

But on the other hand, As it was already stated, there being a total re-write of the code might clean it up and make it even faster. Also the fact that Josh stated about it being easier to add mods

About sub forums....

It was mentioned that Just because something can be added dont mean that it should. And there was something along the lines of, everything thats was added was what was most of the members wanted? I cant imagine that "most" of the customers wanted a quick reply box over a sub forum design...

The best thing about that mod is the ability to turn it off in the admin panel.

What happens to customers that have both a threads and classic license? They are going to be the most upset I wold guess. Because they are simply "loosing" the $$ paid for one of the licenses.

Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
I can give you a zero chance of either the UBB.classic or UBB.threads code being placed under an open source license. Signifigant elements of both are being used in the new product, in fact. You probably won't recognize the code when you see it, but it'll be there nevertheless. It would be foolish of us NOT to reuse at least some of the ~175,000 of lines of combined code.

I want to just clarify a misconception - we have no plans to drop support for UBB.threads or UBB.classic in the short term. While we are no longer putting any time into adding new features to either product, we are still taking bug reports, and will be making new bugfix releases.

We will also be providing support for both products, both on the forums at UBBCentral and via support tickets.

There will come a day when we'll announce that we intend to change how we handle support of the retired products, but that's still quite a way off. By that time, it's our hope that there will be very few qualms about switching over to the new product.

As for users with multiple licenses - if you currently have both a Classic and a Threads license, then you'll simply have two licenses, and can set up two boards of any of the three downloadable flavors.

UBB.classic: Love it or hate it, it was mine.
Coder
Coder
Thaks for summing that up.

I like the idea of being able to use each license for a domain. It kinda falls under what someone was saying about buying a license for someone that has a great site but no forum to help out with advertising yourself...

Curiousity question again.

Navaho clarified that us old WWWThreads users will still have the same yearly membership renewal costs (the discounted amount I just paid in July)...which is great.

Will we still be bound by our WWWThreads licenses as well? For instance, and I am going from SERIOUS memory here...I believe the WWWThreads users can remove the "Powered by Infopop" at the bottom, and they can also run multiple instances of the forum software as long as it is on one domain. (ie - two or three separate boards on domain.com, not a live board and test board only). But I could be wrong on that information, it has been a few years.

I try to be resistant to as much change as possible. Change is very very bad! But I am starting to look forward to the new code after all the positive responses from the Infopop Team.

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
[]DrChaos said:
But on the other hand, As it was already stated, there being a total re-write of the code might clean it up and make it even faster. Also the fact that Josh stated about it being easier to add mods
[/]

Should be sweet! Just the little bit I've seen means the new code will be the quickest, cleanest code out there

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Veteran
Veteran
Sounds good

Code Monkey
Code Monkey
When will they open a forum for feature suggestions for the new product @ UBBCentral? I hope they do soon. I promisee not to ask for subforums

Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
I would use the existing ones for now.

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Maybe we first should ask, what feature suggestions we are allowed to aks for

Addict
Addict
[]Maze said:
Maybe we first should ask, what feature suggestions we are allowed to aks for [/]

Me thinks dropping it for now is the best bet

- Custom Web Development
http://www.JCSWebDev.com
me thinks you can ask for things they haven't said no to.

Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
methinks this isn't the place to be telling people what to suggest

Addict
Addict
me thinks this is all becoming quite pointless

Addict
Addict
[]Jeremy said:
me thinks this is all becoming quite pointless [/]

What he said ^^

- Custom Web Development
http://www.JCSWebDev.com
Code Monkey
Code Monkey
quite the contrary. Message forums were created so that people could bitch and whine about stuff---At least, that's what goes on all the ones I post on, especialy re: sports!

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
isaac
isaac
California
Forum Statistics
Forums63