Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Lurker
Lurker
On my board, we a toying with the idea of a "special group" that would have enhanced permissions. As part of that, I was wondering how hard it would be to have a special little gif a la the "A" for admin and "M" for moderator.

I am not averse to do a little code hackery, but am a PHP n00b (C* and Java mostly)

Sponsored Links
Veteran
Veteran
Would be great.

One item we would like is a club flag for each member next to their name, depending upon which club their support.

So a very similar idea smile

Fans Focus - Focusing on Fans of Sport

(Okay - mainly football (the British variety wink at the moment - but expanding all the time....)
Guru
Guru
This is something I'll be looking at for a future version to be in the stock code. The one stumbling block in my thought process on this is how to determine which flag to show if the member belongs to 2 groups and both have an image associated with it.

Say, I'm an admin and I'm also a member of Group A which has a gif associated with it. Do I display the admin gif or the Group A gif? One option is to display both, but that could get messy as some sites have users that belong to a large number of groups.

UBB.threads Developer
Lurker
Lurker
I guess for full support, you would have to have a way to mark a particular member's group as an "image group" and "there can only be one" (Highlander). Would be a PITA to support that DB constraint in code tho.

UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
Rick, I have a sugguestion! Apply a weight field to the user groups, then if they overlap it'll take whichever has a higher weight for the icon...

Admin's would always be #1, Mods #2, then the admin could assign weights for 3+ to other fields...

UBB.Dev - Putting Dev into UBB.threads
Company: VNC Web Services - UBB.threads Scripts and Scripting, Install and Upgrade Services, Site and Server Maintenance.
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World, and UGN Security
UBB.Threads: My UBB Themes, My UBB Scripts
Sponsored Links
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted by Gizmo
Rick, I have a sugguestion! Apply a weight field to the user groups, then if they overlap it'll take whichever has a higher weight for the icon...

Admin's would always be #1, Mods #2, then the admin could assign weights for 3+ to other fields...

Good idea - but why not just show a drop down with images available to the user - therefore he could choose whichever icon he wishes and flick between them as he desired.

As long as users can still tell as to who the admins and mods are if they choose another group icon that they belong to - then it should work fine smile

(Okay - mainly football (the British variety wink at the moment - but expanding all the time....)
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
Because, allowing users such freedoms is just asking for trouble... User from group a could choose group b's image, and vicea versa...

I like dealing with weights frown... Plus it'd allow 0 confusion for users; and would allow admins to choose exactly what they wanted users to show as...

Company: VNC Web Services - UBB.threads Scripts and Scripting, Install and Upgrade Services, Site and Server Maintenance.
Veteran
Veteran
No - if they are not a member of group b - then they cannot choose group b - they would only see the groups that they belong to smile

UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
UBBDev / UBBWiki Owner
Time Lord
Yeh but it'd lead to inconstancies, i think the admin should be able to choose which should be used in such cases; because you'll never know what ones you'll have clashing and when, so setting a weight will let you choose which groups are more important...

Power User
Power User
* I've been dying for a way to show a unique image based on the user's group since 7 came out. In UBB6.5 I had members who paid to be in one of four special groups get a special icon that displayed below their custom title, but the way usergroups are set up in 7 is beyond my skillz to parse out and display in showflat. =(

Sponsored Links
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
For a quick and dirty mod for an additional gif or 2 I'd think you could add additional if/then's in the section that writes out the admin and mod .gif's, eh?

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Power User
Power User
Originally Posted by AllenAyres
For a quick and dirty mod for an additional gif or 2 I'd think you could add additional if/then's in the section that writes out the admin and mod .gif's, eh?
I looked at doing that, but the admin and mod gifs are added based on "user status = admin" type things, nothing to do with groups. =(

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
isaac
isaac
California
Forum Statistics
Forums63