Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Coder
Coder
Today I test out 6.4ß and found that content Island function nearly all include like the UBBnews hack. But I miss something: It is not possible to generate full text output. You can only diplay headlines with this new feature.

Now I would like to use content island for my homepage to display news too. So I need a a point to set up the CI to display whole text message with the option to limit the output to n lines.

As super special enhancement it would be nice to select one logo out of a pool to identify the content. The logo schould be displayed in the upper right corner in the textoutput (many portalsystems do it).

Sponsored Links
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Great ideas smile

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Coder
Coder
fine smile If anyone have time please take a closer look on this. This is the main feature what I need. If this works I can modify my homepage.

wOw Offline
Yeah I guess this would be better than installing a separate newsboard program.

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
After taking a peek at the Content Islands, the following CSS classes are being used for the CSS flavor for new posts. Perhaps this can be useful to whomever is working on further development of the CI's.

ip-ci: controls border settings?
ip-ci-title: background/face settings for title bar
ip-ci-entry-even: settings for even rows in table
ip-ci-entry-odd: setting for odd rows in table
ip-ci-byline: text settings for author/post #

Sponsored Links
Just a short question: is it also possible to parse the 'who is online'-list via the content island-feature?
I just think about including usual features like a link-list in my board using some sort of popup or frameset for these links and maybe it would be a very nice addon to use the content-island on these link-pages as well as standard-ubb-links ('forum-home, register, faq...') as well as a list of users who are online right now. so in case someone is browsing the link-webpage he's also able to have a sneak view about what's going on right now in the bbs...

Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
There's a recent visitors CI built right in.

UBB.classic: Love it or hate it, it was mine.
2Charles, that's perfect, thanks for the hint. So maybe i'm gonna try to write a lil 'addOn' for a link-section as soon as i'm a bit more familar concerning ubb6.4: i think links are very important for us just to spread the word and making your/my bbs 'more famous', so link-x-changes are worth thinking of. due the fact that we had a static link-section and my f*cked-up ex-2nd-webmaster wasn't even able to update these on a regular basis i have to redesign and re-structure our 'link-base': so why not use the quite nice content-island-feature to use ubb-templates to create this just mentioned 'link-addOn' ... well, i'm gonna give it a try, the first addOn i've ever written (im for 5.x) was very succesful because of the 'needs' and it's pretty funny to see what happened with my idea (im for 6.x *g*) .. so in case anyone would love to help me creating this addOn, just drop me a pm, please... i'm not a perfect coder, i just have sometimes nice ideas and die CI seems to be a perfect thing for these lil' addOns...
respect :-)
chris

Coder
Coder
Is anyone active in looking how to extent CI right now ? I like to update to 6.4 but without news feature I cant do it smile

Thanks to all forum mebers for the fast translation of other hacks. Thats why I use UBB and no other board.

hmm... the content islands only let you add topics to other pages, and not the message/ a lart of the message?... that kind of... sucks

I'm using ubbnews now and was going to upgrade to 6.4 to use the content islands instead.. but sounds like I won't be able to use content islands the same way smirk

or am I wrong?

Sponsored Links
Coder
Coder
Yes, thats the point. I still wait to upgrade to 6.4 but I need a feature to display whole messages on my homepage. I use UBBnews too and I see that this can be done in the same way with an enhanced content island.

I m not a programmer, but I think it's a little hack. Control Panel option for Content Island full text output and modify of the content island output script.

I still wait and hope smile in the past this community make a lot of fine hacks and I have hope that this will come soon smile

LK Offline
Admin / Code Breaker
Admin / Code Breaker
You know you can use UBBnews on 6.4 tipsy

BTW, you're gonna get a Content Islands which shows the message soon laugh

Veteran
Veteran
BTW - there is a section in the code that is commented out and that could be used for news.

Do you believe in love at first sight,
or should I walk by again?
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Not anymore - it got yanked. Sorry. %)

UBB.classic: Love it or hate it, it was mine.
quote:
Originally posted by LK:
You know you can use UBBnews on 6.4 tipsy

Yeah, I upgraded to 6.4.1 and UBBnews still works fine. wink

quote:
[qb]Originally posted by LK:

BTW, you're gonna get a Content Islands which shows the message soon laugh
[/qb]
I hope so, hehe.

Coder
Coder
That sound fine. I will wait a little bit longer and see what come. Thanks for looking in it.

quote:
Originally posted by Charles Capps:
smash Hehe...

Veteran
Veteran
quote:
Originally posted by Charles Capps:
doh tipsy charles you're being mean tipsy

Do you believe in love at first sight,
or should I walk by again?
Coder
Coder
one hour ago my provider kill my site ! He told me that ubbnews.cgi makes too much server load *arg* without warning .... now I have to update to 6.4 with content island immediatly. Still wait for my FTP access .... *grrrr* this on Sunday frown

Coder
Coder
*bumps*
my users begin to send me complains about the the gone ubbnews script. They like to read full text.
*please* help me, I m be chased by 600 users smile They are behind me and getting closer....

I was using Latest Threads, which I loved, but it looks like it won't work properly in 6.4. I really need the content islands to work the same as LT. #1 is I need to be able to select a group of forums for a CI rather than one or all. #2 is I need a summary of text from the post.

Any input appreciated.

OK, so I've decided to go to 6.4, mainly because I can have different html templates per forum. I was using Latest Threads as the guts of my homepage, and now I'm trying to figure out how to get the same data with Content Islands.

Main Problem: limited data. I figured out how to add the date next to the post title, but I really need to add the forum name as well so people can scan the list of topics and spot the one's that apply to them.

My "Top Story" section of the homepage needs to have a summary of the text, and I've got UBB News working for that. But the limitation there is that I need to have UBB News pull the latest topic from a group of forums, not the latest topic for each forum. Example, I want to pull the top story from 4 forums, but I only want to show the latest one from any of them. UBB News doesn't do that.

Any mods to the CI system would be a great help. Or suggestions on how to make Latest threads and UBB News work in 6.4...

Thanks,
Greg

Coder
Coder
quote:
Originally posted by GetAGrip:
Or suggestions on how to make Latest threads and UBB News work in 6.4...
Be careful with ubbnews. It's a great hack and I realy miss it, but I have big trouble with it. I use it with 6 SSI calls on my homepage. One day my provider set my homepage off ! He told me that the script made a lot of serverload. It generate the output every time on the fly. If several people browse the homepage and made some reloads there will be al lot of serverload.

So I must remove it and now I use CI. I still miss the whole text output frown

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
Gizmo
Gizmo
Portland, OR, USA
Forum Statistics
Forums63