Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#66414 01/29/2001 3:10 PM
I was going through the forum over at Infopop, and came across a thread discussing the price increases for the UBB. Has anyone have any more info on this. So I paid $200 for a license. That's fine, it was my choice. But in April of this year I have send them another $75 to be able to continue to use the members area. That's if they don't increase the price on that. How many times have you bought software and the company has given you free life time updates for the product? Maybe I just speak for myself, but the answer is many. I spent $200 for a product that doesn't come on a hard copy, doesn't come with a printed manual, and wants to charge me once a year to get updates for the product. Anyone else see a problem with this? Don't get me wrong, I think UBB is an outstanding product. UBB 6.0 will standardize many of the modifications that so many people have worked on so hard to make the UBB a better product. It just seems a little odd that we have all waited so long for an improved product, and now those of us who have been loyal to the UBB might, and I say might, be absorbing the cost. Let's face it, there are many free boards out there. And in no way are the as stable as the UBB. But I have come across one that is getting close to being as good. And I have seen a 1/2 dozen or so jump ship in the last month. Why are they jumping ship, hmmm, could be the price. I just hope that Infopop takes into consideration that there are those of us who love this product, but might consider leaving because of the price increase.

------------------
Mr. Bill

This message has been edited by MrBill on January 29, 2001 at 02:11 PM

Mr. Bill
Sponsored Links
#66415 01/29/2001 3:32 PM
CE Offline
There GREEDY. nuff said.

I really dont care how good there board is, it isn't right to charge $200 for the board (which, i think is too high too) then charge $75 every year after that. And i think that is were hacks come in. With all these great hacks that UBBDEV has you dont even need to upgrade cause any new feature that is added will become a hack. But knowing infopop, its only a matter of time before they shut down all ubb hacking...which (and im sorry to say) would not surprise me.

------------------

:: My Website :: My Board ::

#66416 01/29/2001 3:41 PM
I am concerned over price increases, but you have to take into consideration the rest of that paragraph. Ted did state that there would be discounts for small fries and non-profits. That would include both of you guys and a lot of the people who come to this site.

------------------
Duke

Duke

"Life is tough, it's tougher if you're stupid."
#66417 01/29/2001 3:50 PM
I am only 15, so it took me ages to save up for one. I spent a lot of time messing around with the Freeware version. When I finally got a small time job as a checker at a grocery store, I had enough money to buy one. There expectations of us and our money are a little high. For $200 I could buy a lot of stuff, and save a lot of time instead of modifying all the time. As of now, if I upgraded to 5.47d (which I am considering. I am still using 5.45c), I will have to rehack everything. If I just upgraded with no hacks all my members would leave. Sure a UBB is good, but what is it really once you have had hacks like Who's Online and Private Messages?

* Insert cliche' quote/sentence/image here *
#66418 01/29/2001 4:00 PM
im concerned about price increases in annual members area payment..

------------------

sleepless

Sponsored Links
#66419 01/29/2001 4:04 PM
CE Offline
YAY, im not alone!

------------------

:: My Website :: My Board ::

#66420 01/29/2001 4:12 PM
i dont think they can shut down hack creations for full version

------------------

sleepless

#66421 01/29/2001 4:13 PM
Master Hacker
Master Hacker
CE, what are you complaining about? you have a freeware board set up!??

------------------
parallel parking job
------------------

#66422 01/29/2001 4:14 PM
quote:
Scud, you have a great site, but really, the busiest (and biggest) UBB's have no modifications on them, at all.

It's all about the content.

Let me repeat:

It's all about the content.

Lights, glitter, rotating banners, and flashing pictures only get you the first 2 visits, after that it is just annoying. For instance, this blue/black background with white text has been getting on my nerves for a while, but I keep coming back here for the great assistance provided. Thankfully, I hear there's a re-design in the works, but that's doesn't really matter, it's all about the content.

Anyways, v6 contains pm's, and quite a few others that we have been adding for months now with every update, so that answers half your questions. [Linked Image]

------------------
Duke

Duke

#66423 01/29/2001 4:15 PM
i will wait and see how much it will end up costing me because currently i am using a license that was bought for me as a present (yes, thats right i had to waste a hard earned birthday present on this damn ubb)!! so if this discounts for small fry as ted someone put it are in any way decent then i might consider renweing my license, if not infopo and their ubb can go fu

ps. sorry for ranting, but, i had to say it

Sponsored Links
#66424 01/29/2001 4:17 PM
quote:
Read the latest license agreement on infopop's site. The second paragraph, the last 2 sentences in particular. Their software is copyrighted, and they can completely close that loophole if they choose.

------------------
Duke

Duke

#66425 01/29/2001 4:23 PM
Their forum software is as easy to install for first time users as any other software out there that you install yourself. Please point any of them out there that is easier to install, please.

Have you tried to install a forum software with a database backend? HAH!

Have you tried to install any freeware script? HAH!

No one is making you buy it, the truth is they have sold hundreds of thousands of copies, modified versions are a small percentage of that number.

------------------
Duke

Duke

#66426 01/29/2001 4:25 PM
quote:
Yes but i dont think they will.

As loyal as i am to Infopop and UBB, i am concerned about the price increase but i am not panicing over it.

------------------
[Linked Image]
Modification Developer of the Ultimate Bulletin Board
Due to time limitation, I do not offer support Via. E-mail, ICQ , AIM, Private message or any media.
Regards,
MasterMind

#66427 01/29/2001 6:45 PM
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
I love it when people ignore what Ted actually says.

No, really, I do.

While there will be price increases, there will also be discounts for non-profits and small organizations.

With any luck at all, a lot of our sites will fall into that category.

I'd suggest y'all stop festering and grumbling and grabbing pitchforks and torches until the 31st when UBB6 is unleashed and the exact nature of the pricing changes are announced.

------------------
Liam: "...The only part I can't get to work is the actual equation: Poisson(X) = (A^X x e^-A)/X!"
Tim: "You've a mathematical function named w/ the French word for fish?"
-- as overheard on Flare.

UBB.classic: Love it or hate it, it was mine.
#66428 01/29/2001 7:13 PM
Well said CC.
I fall under the non-profit category as well....

------------------
[Linked Image]
Modification Developer of the Ultimate Bulletin Board
Due to time limitation, I do not offer support Via. E-mail, ICQ , AIM, Private message or any media.
Regards,
MasterMind

#66429 01/29/2001 9:34 PM
I'm curious, do you think the price of the upgrade subsciption will remain the same? Should I put off buying one until the 31st?

------------------

This is the designed behavior.
#66430 01/30/2001 8:33 AM
*grab pitchfork and torch*

O_O

kill the undead!

------------------

sleepless

#66431 01/30/2001 2:18 PM
quote:
Ted

That quote is just a little vague. What is a significant price increase? Then you have to ask what is a substantial discount? That falls into what some people would call a grey area. But since I already have a license the price increase for that doesn't bother me. What I want to know is how much per year it's going to cost me to be able to get the latest updates (I think a better word would be patch) for this product. Even though from what I've seen UBB6.0 is a complete over haul, and can definitely considered an upgrade. Well in less than 24 hours we will all know.

Let's face it, business is business. When you upgrade to a higher level for any product it cost money. Microsoft Win 95 to Win 98. Ha! A big patch that they called an upgraded product. Abobe upgrades? Let's not even go there.

Charging different prices to different organizations, what are they going to do ask for the companies financial report? But, if Infopop can pull this off, more power to them. Usually it is big business that gets the discount, and the little guy that gets soaked.

------------------
Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
isaac
isaac
California
Forum Statistics
Forums63