UBB.Dev
Posted By: JustDave Integrated Index Page 4.3 addon for UBBT 6.0 - 05/02/2002 11:03 PM
Ok I haven't had a chance to test this with anything but 6.0 br1 so I'm going to just release it anyhow... lol

Integrated Index Page 4.3 (IIP.4.3)

Q: What is it?
A: It's an addon for UBBT 6.0 that will pull various information out of the forum for display as your main home page.

Q: What are the features?
A: The following information is displayed:

1. News Display - A configurable number of news/article posts and from different boards can be displayed down the center in the same fassion as the popular *nuke portals. Past news/articles can also be displayed along the right hand column (only).

2. Current Poll - This will display the most recent poll posted or may be set to pull a random poll out of the forum. This can be set to use a specific board also. Results will be displayed if the viewer has already voted for the poll. (based on username or ip address)

3. Top Rated Posts - This will display a list of X number of top rated posts in the past 24 hours.

4. Current Threads - This will display a list of new threads posted in the past 24 hours.

5. Top Posters - This will display a list of the top X number of posters.

6. Last Seen - This will display a list of members who have visited the forum most recently. This is not completely accurate because depending on what they are doing at the site their 'laston' information isn't always recorded.

7. Short Stats - This will display various statistical information such as Total Users, Total Posts and New Users in the last 24hrs, 7days, 31 days.

8. Profile Spotlight - This will display a random profile listing name, location, hobbies and bio with a link to the full profile.

9. Quick Search - This will display a seach box that will allow for a quick search of the forums using the standard search default values.

10. Login/Status - This will display a login box or your current status including the number of private messages stored and links to edit your profile and display properties and email subscripitons. Unregistered or users not logged in will see the login box. Logged in users will see their status box.

11. Online - This box displays the number of registered and unregistered users online in the last 10 minutes. It will also list the usernames of the registered users. There are links to view back 10, 20 and 30 minutes.

12. Hot Topic - When a post reaches X number of replies it is displayed in this box with a flaming .gif

13. Menu - This box has various links to other features of IIP.

14. View More Polls - This generates a list of X number of poll posts per page with links to the post and board.

15. File Attachments - This generates a list of X number of file attachments per page. There are also sorting options to display only the files specified such as .txt or .zip files.

16. New Member - This will display a message welcoming the most recent member. This will only be displayed for X number of days.

17. Member Sites - This will display a list of X number of members and their home page links. Only those with this field filled in in their profile will be displayed.

18. Recommend Us - This will display a short form for visitors to fill out and recommend the site to their friends.

18. Call Us Home - IE specific, will not (or should not) display for browsers other than IE. This will allow visitors to set the site as their home page.

19. Add to Favorites - IE specific, will not (and again should not) display for browsers other than IE. This will allow visitors to add the site to their favorites folder. Netscape users will see the "Press CNTRL-D to Bookmark" notice.

All information displayed is based on user groups. Information posted in a "staff" board will only be seen on the index page by those that have access to the staff board. This includes polls and all other forum information.

(just a note, all older IIP files should be replaced with this package)

Download the attachment, unzip and follow the short (and hopefully understandable) IIP.4.3 setup instructions inside the 'pals' folder and then upload to your website. Good Luck and Enjoy.

Example on display at ThreadsDev.com to see what this is. (Looks Great Allen, always looks better on someone else's site, to me... LoL)

edit: login pal fix for threads 6.02:

https://www.ubbdev.com/threads/php/uploads/52145-loginpal-ubbt6.0.2-fix.zip

Attached File
47069-IIP.4.3.zip  (18 downloads)
sweet, upping it tonight
hehe good Much easier to show what this is than to describe it. LoL

Let me know if there are any problems with the new path and url variables. There should be no problems placing the files anywhere now.
Post deleted by JustDave
Post deleted by JustDave
Post deleted by JustDave
ACK ACK! LoL even more that should be changed.

All instances of $threadspath should be changed to $index2threadsPath

*sigh* and I thought I had everything covered this time... LoL
Too bad there is no way to re-upload your file.......
Yeah I have thought about making that hack... lol has been needed before.
Also in the instructions you still have the following line.
code:
add change it to this:

<a href = "$phpurl/index.php?Cat=$Cat" $target>Home</a>
|
<a href = "$phpurl/$FrontPage.php?Cat=$Cat" $target>{$ubbt_lang['FORUM_IND']}</a>

Shouldn't it be
code:
and change it to this:

<a href = "$url2indexpal/index.php?Cat=$Cat" $target>Home</a>
|
<a href = "$phpurl/$FrontPage.php?Cat=$Cat" $target>{$ubbt_lang['FORUM_IND']}</a>

No. $phpurl is correct. It is the same as all of the other links in the navigation bar.

This is only if the index page resides in the same directory as ubbt.

You may want to change this to
code:

<a href = "{$config['homeurl']}/index.php?Cat=$Cat" $target>Home</a>
| <a href = "$phpurl/$FrontPage.php?Cat=$Cat" $target>{$ubbt_lang['FORUM_IND']}</a>

If the index page is outside of the ubbt directory.

I'll add that to the installation text. Thanks.
Or in place of variables in the navigation bar for the index page link you could just hard code the url in. This is probably the best as I have no idea where some people may want to place the page.
But the variable $url2indexpal would cover you wherever they put the index.php.
Yes but that variable is not valid in the ubbt.inc.php file. It would result in an empty string.
We'll I suppose, if you want to get technical.....
re-upped, attached to first post now
Thanks Allen.
no problemo

Demoing here. A couple little "gotcha's"

- the $configured=1; is now at the bottom of the config file.

- one path needs a trailing slash, the others don't (labeled in the config file itself.)
hehe yeah I thought that the $configured variable should be the last thing set. Starting from the top and filling in the information and ending with "Yep, all done".

I left the $index2threadsPath variable open for use with or without the trailing slash, depending on where the index plage is placed. If it's placed in the same directory as threads it should be blank. Otherwise a path such as "ubbthreads/" should be specified.

I'll make sure to make additional comments about that in the configpal file. Thanks.
Ok I see a few bugs.

Hot Topic should be displaying this main post as there are more than 17 replies than what is being displayed.

When in "full" mode for viewing file attachments, poll listings and member sites the "full" mode doesn't carry over to the other links. It switches back to the normal 2 column view.

I'll get to working on these asap
Unzip and replace attachmentlistpal.php, membersitespal.php and polllistpal.php with these to make the "full" mode carry over to the other links in these pal boxes.

(file attached, btw)

Attached File
47109-IIP.4.3.fixes.zip  (9 downloads)
Done
pretty sweet Dave!

I love eet!
hehehe I was just browsing the attachment list. Seems to be working great.

The style sheets are easy to find with the attachment list too.
Ok I think this attachment will fix the "Hot Topic" bug. I was ordering by the wrong field. I think it was that simple but I wont know till I can see it working... LoL

(file is attached. unzip, replace and upload)

Attached File
That fixed it

If you want, I'll put the bugfixed files in the zip in the first post
I hope you don't mind, but it might save a few questions

I upped it to the first post and here it is as well

https://www.ubbdev.com/threads/php/uploads/47069-IIP.4.3.zip
That would be great I was going to suggest it...

I wonder if some of these replies should be cleaned out as to not confuse anyone reading this thread for the first time? If you think it's a good idea feel free to clean up some replies. Perhaps even remove the old 4.2 thread so noone skips by 4.3 also...
We can lock the old ones and I'll see about your moderator privileges now
Locking is good
I do make daily sacrafices of phone cord to the DSL gods that be but I have yet to be blessed with broadband... LoL no static IP for me.
In reply to:

I do make daily sacrafices of phone cord to the DSL gods

LOL!!
Dave what about making a wordlets files so that I could translate it into french
Seperate language file(s) is something I am currently working on.

I'll be spending some quality time on this this weekend.
Great that way I'll add them to the other french files
Well done.

Did you give any thought as to whether this would be possible to implement on a community basis, and restrict the data on the index page to certain categories?

If not - can it be hard-coded into the scripts? - I would have a separate folder for each community and so would load these into their own pals folder just below this community folder.

Any pointers for trying this?

Regards,

Ian
I'm not sure how hard it would be to make the display catagory based. As it is, threads is not catagory based either. If the user does not have the correct group access for the boards under a catagory the boards are not displayed. Neither is the catagory since there are no boards in it to be displayed.

If you limit users to specific boards then the information displayed on the index page will only be from them boards. (with exceptions to information such as Top X Posters or Short Stats as this information is not based on board/group access. (probably a couple more boxes not coming to mind)

In the tests that I have done, the index shows the information from all for the categories.

For example...

http://www.nonleague.net/threads/index.php?Cat=2,7

will still show the poll for example from category 1 - clicking on the forum name gives the following in the browser

http://www.nonleague.net/threads/postlist.php?Cat=2,7&Board=test1

however if you then click on the catergory 1 (General Discussion) title you are then taken back to..

http://www.nonleague.net/threads/ubbthreads.php?Cat=2,7&C=1

which does not show catergory 1, but is getting confusing

It appears that the index page is ignoring the ?Cat=2,7 bit of the url - is ther anyway that this can recognise it, in the same way that ubbthreads.php does.

I understand about the board wide sections i.e for members etc., but if I am going to use the index page (and I think it is excellent), I would like to avoid confusing my poor users

My communities will be linking say to http://www.nonleague.net/threads/ubbthreads.php?Cat=1,2,7 from their own sites, and can still do so, but I would like to give them their own smart home page

All of my users will have group access to all forums on the site (except private ones), but these will be through the pull down menus at the top, and not necessarily through the built in navigation on threads.

Or am I going about all this in the wrong way

Ian
Ok I see what your saying now...

I think one would have to modify the initial board access checks that format the boardquery variables and one or two others in the index page to limit what boards are used to pull the information from.
If that is possible, I would be eternally grateful

Okay - well may be not eternally - but at least until the end of the week

Ian

oh and Dave xhtml is your friend
In reply to:

oh and Dave xhtml is your friend

LoL I know I know

When I get things moved to templates I'll work on making the needed changes for xhtml compliancy
oh and there is a bug with the URL used for the pal images (not the right one)
hmmmm I thought I had gotten all of the variables switched to the new variable $url2palimagesDirectory in the scripts that called the images out of that directory. I'll make sure to go over them again. Thanks.
Looking things over I believe I can make the index catagory based but I'm not going to pull the catagory name out for display anywhere as this would require an additional query (something I'm trying to condense) but I can limit the board information to what ever catagories are given.

I'm going to try and use a table join to pull the catagory name and description out so it could be used at some point on the index. I'll let you know what happens.
I can assist with that (the xhtml, when you are ready) if you like
Thanks!

I'll give it a good shot when putting the templates together but I'm sure it will need need work after it's done. lol (wouldn't be fun if there wasn't nothing to fix)
I don't think the "Hot Topic" pal box is working correctly yet. Also the "Current Poll" box is pulling a poll in from a reply. I will have to look but I had thought I had limited this to the main post and not the replies.

I'll be looking that over too. It's going to be a long night. LoL
Forgot to say earlier I have also managed to remove the table join in the poll pal which was used to get the board's title and still display the title. (helped speed things up a tad)

I shaved 1 query per board being displayed in the center column for news/articles. Sites displaying 3 or 4 boards will soon be able to save 3 or 4 queries in that area.

Ok back to work...
I have the IIP displaying according to catagory now.

Some pal boxes such as Current Threads, Top X Threads and Top X Rated Posts work well. The news/article section doesn't work as well as these boards are pre specified in the configpal.php script and based on the viewer's groups as a whole. If a user who can view information located in catagory 1 and 2 but access the index page using catagory 2 and the news is in catagory 1 they will still see the information because they have the access.

I think I can get this to reflect catagory specific boards in the news section so that each catagory could have it's own news/article board.
Posted By: Ian_W Re: Integrated Index Page 4.3 addon for UBBT 6.0 - 05/04/2002 11:09 PM
Nice one - I look foward to giving this modified version a tryout, when you release it.

Thanks again.

Ian
I guess I didn't make pollpal pull the information from *only* the main posts. It also seaches replies. Should I change this so that it does? This will make for shorter searches into the database for the poll information? That could also speed things up a bit. (it all helps)
Sounds like a good idea dave. I imagine most people who want a poll on the front page would start a new thread to use that in

I think I'll change our poll forum to "chit chat" so people can test polls in the test forum and we won't have them on the front page
Yep I done decided about 2 minutes after posting that question that I'll keep it to the main post because otherwise the "x comments" wouldn't reflect the thread.

Also I found an error where random polls may count unapproved posts when setting up the number to pick the random poll from. This may be a cause of a blank poll.
Heyya Dave.

I have been playing with your new IIP on a 5.5.1 board, and ran into a problem with the randprofilepal.php.

In the 5.5.1 database, U_Number is generated with auto_increment, and when you delete a user, that number is not re-used.

What happens then is this: Say I have user numbers 1, 2, 3, 4. I delete user 4. Then someone else registers, and they are assigned User ID 5. Now I have Numbers: 1, 2, 3, 5.

randprofilepal.php is looking at $palshowregs to get the number of users registered. In the above example it would return a value of "4". Now there is no user ID for the number 4. That means that 25% of the time, randprofilepal.php will fail, and simply not be displayed. Also, user ID "5" will never be displayed.

I believe I have fixed the problem by letting MySQL perform the rand function. There may be a more efficient way to do this, but this worked for me.

I changed the following syntax in randprofilepal.php:

Find this in randprofile.php:
code:

if ($palShowregs != 0) {
$profID = rand(2,$palShowregs);
}
$profID_q = addslashes($profID);

And change to this:
code:

$query = "
SELECT U_Number
FROM w3t_Users
ORDER BY RAND() LIMIT 1
";
$sth = $dbh -> do_query($query);
list ($profID_q) = $dbh -> fetch_array($sth);
$dbh -> finish_sth($sth);

Anyone see any problems with that? It adds another query on the database, but it is the only way I can see to get around this particular bug.

I dont know if this affects board running 6.0 since that is what randprofilepal.php was written for anyway . But if you are thinking of making a backwards-compatible version of IIP, that is one bit of code that you might need to look at.

Thanks again for the great mod Dave! IIP really helped to improve user participation on my board.
The MySQL database that my host supplies does not offer a random ability. Or at least the last time I tried it failed.

I hadn't thought about the fact that it could select deleted users though. Thanks for letting me know. I'll see what I can put together to fix that.

While on the random subject, I had found another problem with the random poll. I think it was already there but I may have caused it while removing the javascript to an external file along with the text to language file. I'm fixing it right now.

Ok I think I found a way around this without having to add another query to the database.

Replace this:
code:

if ($palShowregs != 0) {
$profID = rand(2,$palShowregs);
}
$profID_q = addslashes($profID);

$query = "
SELECT U_Picture,U_Bio,U_Name,U_Username,U_Location,U_Hobbies,U_PicWidth,U_PicHeight
FROM w3t_Users
WHERE U_Number = '$profID_q'
";

With this:
code:

if ($palShowregs != 0) {
$RandNum = rand(2,$palShowregs);
}
$query = "
SELECT U_Picture,U_Bio,U_Name,U_Username,U_Location,U_Hobbies,U_PicWidth,U_PicHeight
FROM w3t_Users
WHERE U_Number >= 2
LIMIT $RandNum,1
";

I think that should do it. Let me know otherwise.
Dave,

I'm confused

What is the most recent version of this?

Ian
Right now it's 4.3 but give me a couple weeks and I should feel comfortable enough and have gotten enough completed on my list of things to do and I'll kick 5.0 out the door.

Things to look forward to are a Shout Box, Profile Index and Picture Posts. Oh and easier on the database too...

Did I mention templated? LoL
Dave,

Unfortunately, randprofilepal.php still seems to be selecting invalid user IDs with that code. I had tried something similar before doing another database call, but had no luck.

The problem seems to be caused because we are depending on the value returned by $palShowregs. This number is the number of users in the database, but that does not necessarily correspond with the U_Number for each user (at least in 5.5.1.. Not sure about 6.0).

For example: It is possible in 5.5.1 (if you delete a lot of users) to have 4 users in your database with the numbers: 1, 5, 8, 10. Now $palShowregs will tell you that you have 4 registered users, and that is correct, but if you tell randprofilepal.php to display a $RandNum between 1-4, you will only cover one of those user IDs.

I have noticed a similar problem (I think it is similar at least ) with pollpal.php. If you delete a poll, pollpal.php will still try to call it. However, because there is no data for the poll, it will just display the text: Out of "".

I believe the pollpal.php problem can be fixed by simply modifying the select statement to make sure that certain rows are not null. I haven't played with it yet though.

-Paul
I believe that the problem with pollpal.php is probably more of a problem with doexpirethreads.php.

If you create a thread that contans a poll in it, then delete that poll (not the whole thread, just the post containing the poll) the Poll Number is still contained in w3t_Posts.B_Poll.

This means that pollpal.php (and polllistpal.php) will still see it as a valid poll, and try to display it.

I thought of adding an update query to doexpirethreads.php to delete the data in B_Poll when you delete the post, but I am not sure how that would affect threads with multiple polls in it.

-Paul

I have pollpal using *only* the main post now. If the main post is deleted and it had a poll in it it will no longer be readable as related poll data is also deleted.
The random profile no longer selects according to UID corrosponding to the random number generated. What it does is generate a random number from the total number of users.

If there are 20 people in the database, counting the built in user #1 I would have to take a random number from 19 as the built in user doesn't count. Now that I have the total number of users I can select from I set up the query to use that random number for the limit argument and not as the UID number. If the random number was 15 the query would select the row 1 total record starting at row 15.

code:

if ($palShowregs != 0) {
}
$query = "
FROM w3t_Users
WHERE U_Number >= 2
LIMIT $RandNum,1
";

I have changed this line:

To this also:
$RandNum = rand(0,$palShowregs);

as there was no reason to be starting from 2 as the query's format avoided user number 1 anyhow. This should work but it's not efficient as the code you stated earlier.

I have been doing some reading and in MySQL version 3.23 and higher this is a valid query:

SELECT * FROM TableName ORDER BY RAND() LIMIT 1

This is exactly the same query you came up with. I think when I had tried using it last I may have had it set up wrong or something so I'll try it again. I'm pretty sure I have at least 3.23 for a database. (I hope)

Using MySQL to do the random selection is probably more efficient too so this will be the way to go.

Thanks for your input/feedback. It realy helps!
Is there any way we can get an updated zip file for this? I just upgraded to 6br2 and want to start incorporating it.

Thanks
At this time 4.3 at the front is the most up to date. I don't have anything ready otherwise. Sorry.
I can't use mysql to make the random selection.

I still have mysql < 3.23 but I am planning on switching to a new host soon so maybe then I'll be able to use the random query.
OK Did the install, it went 'ok', but it does not seem to be using any kind of themes for me. http://www.theddz.com Nor will it allow me to login and stay logged in.
Are your cookies site wide?
They are, but I found that the main page is looking for www.theddz.com/stylesheets/ddz2.css rather than www.theddz.com/forums/stylesheets/ddz2.css
That's odd. The index page uses the same send_header function that the rest of the threads package uses. Should have been the same for all...
this is your source view...

<link href="/imp/style.cgi" etc...

this is mine..

<link href="/stylesheets/ddz2.css" etc..
I feel SO stupid!!!!!!!!!

"Absolute URL containing the stylesheets for the program" needs the 'absolute' path rather than just '/stylesheets'

All fixed. Now off to editing
But the stylesheet link is governed by UBBT. What ever threads is using for style sheets is what is used for the index page. The index page does not add any html till after the UBBT menu bar. That's why I can't understand how it could be specifying a stylesheet link at all...
Disregard my last post... lol I didn't read on to your next one.
heheh, OK. I will work on the cookies thing tomorrow I guess. Its still not allowing me to login.

Another thing... The popular posts, top threads, etc needs to check and see if that person can even see that section. I have private forums and this would be of great concern for me.
In reply to:

The popular posts, top threads, etc needs to check and see if that person can even see that section. I have private forums and this would be of great concern for me.

Everything that is post related is displayed according to group access.
Image issues... Dave... OK I just upgraded from 4.2 to 4.3 and you have the variable in for where the images are located but in the code for like say the rand profile and stuff it doesn't use that variable. Might wanna fix this in next release...
Try Ctrl-Refresh on the page. That worked for me.

Also I figured out my logging in problem....

I was using forums.theddz.com, but when I changed it to www.theddz.com/forums in the UBB.t config, the login for PAL works great now.

Nope wont work... still reading the code correctly... The code is wrong is the problem... Also the code for viewing the profile's pic is wrong... it has the /pals/palimage/ hard coded in... my images are in /images...
I have made it so all pal related images are located in the pals directory on purpose.
I remember now. I changed mine to the hard coded location for the images.
After reading this a second time I'm not sure I understood the first time. I'll look the random profile box over again.
In reply to:

Nope wont work... still reading the code correctly... The code is wrong is the problem... Also the code for viewing the profile's pic is wrong... it has the /pals/palimage/ hard coded in... my images are in /images...

Your right, I forgot to replace $config['phpurl'] with the pals variable. Will make sure I didn't over look this next version. Thanks.
See I am not 100% insane :-P
Posted By: ghubbell Speed Issue with 4.3 addon for UBBT 6.0 - 05/11/2002 2:48 PM
Hi Dave, and thanks so much for this wonderful add-on. I don't know when I've seen something coded so clearly and to be so user friendly for a PHP amature as myself.
I am testing this with 6.0 br2 on a test forum and when I add the top rated threads include, my speed drops to - well- it doesn't go anywhere... Ocassionally timing out. Of course as this is an upgraded Db from 5.5.1 and a test forum, I have selected a random 10 or so threads and 'rated' them for the test. All other threads remain untouched - were talking thousands here. Is it possible that it's the quantity of threads this include is querying or could it be the default value on this field that might be upsetting the query causing the speed issue?

Awesome work Dave. Thanks again.

Gord
Can you provide a link to your install?
Thanks.
Posted By: ghubbell Re: Speed Issue with 4.3 addon for UBBT 6.0 - 05/11/2002 5:36 PM
Sorry, No, I cannot post a link publicly.

Gord
Posted By: JustDave Re: Speed Issue with 4.3 addon for UBBT 6.0 - 05/12/2002 3:33 AM
Hi ghubbell,

I'm glad you like the add-on

I am not sure why there would be such a drop as I thought the actual query was straight forward. I'll take a look over the code though and see what I can do to make it better. The "Top 10 Rated" (or how ever many your displaying) posts are pulled from the last 24 hours. How many posts are made in that period?

Is anyone else having simular problems with the Top Rated box also? If so is it with an upgraded 5.5.1 > 6.0 database or a fresh 6.0 database? Please let me know. Thanks.
Posted By: JustDave Re: Speed Issue with 4.3 addon for UBBT 6.0 - 05/12/2002 3:47 AM
Ok let us see if this helps,

In the topratedpostspal.php script find this line:

AND B_RealRating != ''

and remove it.

The script should still work correctly. Sometimes I find myself defining things that probably didn't have to be just so I know that it's fetching what I want.

Let me know if that helped. Thanks.
Posted By: ghubbell Re: Speed Issue with 4.3 addon for UBBT 6.0 - 05/12/2002 4:02 AM
Thanks very much Dave,
I'll give it a go and report back for all. Shouldn't be long...

Gord
Posted By: ghubbell Re: Speed Issue with 4.3 addon for UBBT 6.0 - 05/12/2002 4:59 AM
Sorry for the delay...I'm on a two way satellite and I think 'Mars Attacked'
I 'rated' another dozen or so threads and for some reason was only receiving 1 top result - and I had at least 5 different ratings. $totalratedposts = 10; should have been fine? Perhaps it was just being grumpy.

Now, removing the line you recommended (I believe correctly) leaves:

SELECT B_Number,B_Posted,B_Last_Post,B_Username,B_Subject,B_Main,B_Replies,B_Counter,B_Board,B_Rates,B_RealRating
FROM w3t_Posts
WHERE B_Number = B_Main
AND B_Last_Post > '$date'
$boardquery
ORDER BY B_RealRating DESC
LIMIT $totalratedposts

and I now have 10 threads listed, however 8 of them are not rated and they're the 'sticky' ones that have been hit thousands of times. Weird.

Where do I go from here Dave?

Thanks in advance,

Gord
Posted By: JustDave Re: Speed Issue with 4.3 addon for UBBT 6.0 - 05/14/2002 1:14 PM
Yeah I wanted to get back here and say don't remove that line... lol I must have been sleeping when I was thinking about it.

That line needs to be there but I have modified it to this one:

AND B_RealRating > 0

The query is about as simple as it can be I really am not sure what I could do to make it shorter. Is this still slowing things down for you?

Please let me know. Thanks.
Posted By: ghubbell Re: Speed Issue with 4.3 addon for UBBT 6.0 - 05/14/2002 2:39 PM
Thanks Dave,
I'll give it a go today and post back.

Gord
Notice: Undefined variable: theme in C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\UnnecessaryRoughness\ubbt\pals\configpal.php on line 141

Notice: Undefined variable: theme in C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\UnnecessaryRoughness\ubbt\pals\configpal.php on line 143

Notice: Undefined variable: friendname in C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\UnnecessaryRoughness\ubbt\pals\configpal.php on line 387

Notice: Undefined variable: sendername in C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\UnnecessaryRoughness\ubbt\pals\configpal.php on line 387

Notice: Undefined variable: config in C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\UnnecessaryRoughness\ubbt\pals\configpal.php on line 387

Notice: Undefined variable: yourmessage in C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\UnnecessaryRoughness\ubbt\pals\configpal.php on line 387

I upgraded my php to 4.2.1 and this started happening.

If I recall correctly the $theme variable was an issue in previous releases and I thought it was fixed.

IIS 5.0
PHP 4.2.1
zlib enabled
UBBT 6.0 br2
I resolved my errors.

I overwrote the php.ini during the install and left out the option not to show notices.

[:"red"] Line 200: [/]
error_reporting = E_ALL & ~E_NOTICE

So, I've added this to my forum. Great work!!

But I cannot seem to be able to configure the news / spcial announcements up on the index.php

Here is what I set in configpal.php -

// Set this to the board's key word. (blanks will not be displayed)
$postdisplay[0] = "New Look";
$postdisplay[1] = "PICTORIAL :";
$postdisplay[2] = "Monthly Status Bulletin";

// Set this to the maximum number of posts to display.
$postmax[0] = 1;
$postmax[1] = 2;
$postmax[2] = 3;

// Ignore sticky posts? 1=yes 0=no
$ignoresticky[0] = 0;
$ignoresticky[1] = 0;
$ignoresticky[2] = 0;

-- So according to my understanding, all posts from visible forums containing the words 'New Look','PICTORIAL :' and 'Monthly Status Bulletin' should be visible on the front page. But it's not

On querying mysql> select Bo_Keyword from w3t_Boards;

I get -

+------------+
| Bo_Keyword |
+------------+
| UBB1 |
| UBB10 |
| UBB11 |
| UBB13 |
| UBB14 |
| UBB15 |
| UBB16 |
| UBB18 |
+------------+

Don't know what else shall be set. Also if this is possible -

I always want post from the user 'admin' during last 1 week to be flashed in the 'news' / 'announcement' section - sticky or non-sticky

Any advice highly solicited.

TIA,

nm

P.S. I run UBB 6 (br 2) where I've imported a UBB Classic 6.2 board a while back. URL is http://www.myhotboard.com
Hi,

Welcome to threadsdev.

I think you will find the keyword section needs to be:-

$postdisplay[0] = "ubb1";
$postdisplay[1] = "ubb10";
$postdisplay[2] = "ubb11";

Try this, I think it will work...

Regards,

Ian
But then what posts will be selected as 'announcements'? I mean I am just merely supplying the 'UBB*', so how does IIP select posts as 'announcements' or 'news'?

Or do I have to keep all such threads to a forum titled like 'Announcements' and supply the keyword for that to IIP?

Please excuse me if I sound terribly confused.

Thanks for your help. I am going to try this now.

~nm
You will need to select the Board that is just used for Announcments and allow only specific users to post to that board.
Posted By: ghubbell Re: Speed Issue with 4.3 addon for UBBT 6.0 - 05/17/2002 2:08 PM
Hi Dave, sorry for the delay to reply (see my location)

Scott is doing a wonderful job tuning the queries so it would probably be best to visit and review his comments:

https://ubbdev.com/threads/php/...view=expanded&sb=5&o=&fpart=

Everything seems to be improving!

Gord
Posted By: JustDave Re: Speed Issue with 4.3 addon for UBBT 6.0 - 05/18/2002 1:44 AM
Hi ghubbell

Thanks for the post. I have replied. (I didn't quite understand things but this is not unusual for me LoL)

Hopefully I'll get to understanding it and be able to incorporate the changes to speed things up. I don't want to risk breaking information displays based on group access though.
Posted By: Charles Re: Speed Issue with 4.3 addon for UBBT 6.0 - 05/18/2002 4:19 PM
and don't forget the language files (If you already made them please send me a copy so I can't start translating )
Posted By: JustDave Re: Speed Issue with 4.3 addon for UBBT 6.0 - 05/18/2002 8:34 PM
I have the language file finished with the exception of a couple variables I can't yet transfer untill I have a login script created for use by IIP. The login script threads uses has options with values based on languages and this throws things off for the login box in IIP.

I think I'll push 5.0 out here shortly and then start working on the templated version. (this will be taking me some time)

I'll post the language file as soon as possible.
I am just wondering if it is possible to link another page that is not related to the forums in hte menu and still keep the menu open? The new page would then open on the right like is done with the attachments, etc...
Posted By: JustDave Re: Speed Issue with 4.3 addon for UBBT 6.0 - 05/21/2002 7:07 PM
That shouldn't be to hard to accomplish.

The link needs to have the the variable "paction" set to what ever you want. To load a page called "MYPAGE.php" you could add a link in the menu pal like such:

code:

if ($paction == "MYPAGE") {
echo "$rowStart<b>My Page</b>$palResize$rowEnd";
}
else {
echo "$rowStart<a href="$palurl?Cat=$Cat&paction=MYPAGE$insertSize">My Page</a>$rowEnd";
}

Then in the index.php script, just below this:

// create wide right column
echo "$widerightcolstart";

Add this:

code:

if ($paction == "MYPAGE") {
include "path/to/mypage.php";
}

And that should do it.

I do intend on making the addition of other pages easier at some point. Hope this helps for now.
Posted By: Rio Re: Integrated Index Page 4.3 addon for UBBT 6.0 - 05/28/2002 11:48 PM
I tried everything to get this to work but I keep getting a blank page when I run index.php. Can someone please tell me what I am doing wrong?

Thanks Rio
Check all of the variables in the configpal.php script. Make sure all paths and urls are correct. This is usually the cause of the blank screens.

Let me know how it goes.. Also, if you could post an URL it would help if I could see it too.
Posted By: Rio Re: Integrated Index Page 4.3 addon for UBBT 6.0 - 05/28/2002 11:55 PM
Here is the url

http://www.urbansugga.com/index.php
Yep that's very blank screen... lol

Look over the URL variables and the PATH variables in configpal.php and see if there are any mistakes. I can't say for sure what else could be causing this.
Posted By: Rio Re: Integrated Index Page 4.3 addon for UBBT 6.0 - 05/29/2002 12:01 AM
I just sent you a pm with the config variables could you look at it for me please?
Posted By: Rio Re: Integrated Index Page 4.3 addon for UBBT 6.0 - 05/29/2002 12:24 AM
Now I am getting this

Index page closed for maintenance.
Please check back later. Thanks.
At the bottom of the configpal.php script you will see something that looks like this:

// ------------ END OF CONFIGURE ----------------- //

// are we configured? (NOTE!!! Set this to 1 when your done setting
// the variables. Untill then the index page displays a box informing visitors
// that the page is down for maintenance. )
$configured = 0;

Change $configured = 0; to $configured = 1;
once you have the script completely configured.

I'm working on getting this set up via a control panel as you are not the first to have these problems.
Posted By: Rio Re: Integrated Index Page 4.3 addon for UBBT 6.0 - 05/29/2002 12:32 AM
I am such a blind dumb azz I hate it when I over look stuff. Its work now. Thanks for your help Dave
LoL your welcome

And I've been down that road myself before...
Posted By: Rio Re: Integrated Index Page 4.3 addon for UBBT 6.0 - 05/29/2002 7:29 AM
Everything works fine except that it won't stay logged in at the entrance... Any Ideas?
Set your cookies site wide. The variable is for the cookie path located in the config.inc.php script in the threads package. Make sure you have it set to "/".
Posted By: Rio Re: Integrated Index Page 4.3 addon for UBBT 6.0 - 05/30/2002 4:52 AM
Thank you sir
Hi,
Integrated Index Page does't run with 6 br5 ?
http://www.host2008.com/
Where is my error ?

Regards

D
Hi delfo2000

Yes it should run just fine with 6.0 BR5

I'm not sure what could be causing those errors. Check and make sure you have all of the variables set in the configpal.php file. I can't tell for sure what the error would be from looking at the page though. One thing is to make sure you specified the board keywords and not their title when filling in the variables.
Hi,
this is my configpal:

<?
// VERSION
$palVersion = "4.3";

// ---------------- PATH VARIABLES ---------------- //

// full path to the pal directory (no trailing slash / )
$fullPath2pals = "/var/www/html/pals";

// path to threads directory from index.php
$index2threadsPath = "";

// path to threads directory from pals directory (no trailing slash / )
$pals2threadsPath = ".";

// url to index.php (no trailing slash / )
$url2indexpal = "http://www.host2008.com";

// url to pal directory (no trailing slash / )
$url2palsDirectory = "http://www.host2008.com/pals";

// full path to the palimages directory (no trailing slash / )
$fullPath2palimages = "/var/www/html/pals/palimages";

// url to palimages directory (no trailing slash / )
$url2palimagesDirectory = "http://www.host2008.com/pals/palimages";

// ------------------------------------------------ //

I'm using RH 7.2 and I can understand my error.
Any idea ??

D
That all looks to be ok.

I have a question though, have you created boards on this site? I went to the Main Index and I did not see any boards listed. If there are none then this may be the problem because there is nothing to select from?
Hi,

yes, now it works fine, was my BIG error, sorry and thx for help.

D
Your welcome
I am having a problem on my board where NO top threads or Current threads are being displayed! Also the short stats shows 0 users!!! Is this a mistake on my part? or is this not working yet? I am using a upgrad version! Any help would be nice thank you..

http://www.cityofsumdall.com/waffen/ubbthreads/index.php
Everything should be working. Not sure why yours is not.

Make sure that you have all of the variables set correctly in the configpal.php script. Remember to use board keywords and not the title to specify what boards to use.

Also, make sure you have uploaded all of the 4.3 files, including the index.php file. You may be using the older index page and that will cause your short stats to not show correctly.

One thing to keep in mind is that the display is based on threads group access. If there are new threads but only in posts that members can see or specific groups then only they will see them listed in the current threads or top threads boxes.

Nice color scheme by the way. I like it.
Hrmm, well.. I checked everything and everything seems ok.. I used the new Index.php.. ugh.. I am at a loss..
This is strange, for sure. I made a test post and nothing shows up on the current post list.

What are you settings for the following:

// ----------- TOP THREADS VARIABLES ------------- //

// Top threads by "views" or by "replies"
$SortThreadsBy = "replies";

// How many days old can a thread be and still make the list?
$threadage = 7;

// Set this variable to the total number of threads that you wish to show
$totalthreads = 10;

// ----------------------------------------------- //

and

// ---------- CURRENT THREADS VARIABLES ---------- //

// How many current threads posted in the past 24 hours should we display?
$totalcurrentthreads = 20;

// Ignore sticky current threads? 1=yes 0=no
$nostickycurrent = 1;

Everything seems to be working without error... so it makes things harder to know what is going wrong... lol
here is what I have..

// ----------- TOP THREADS VARIABLES ------------- //

// Top threads by "views" or by "replies"
$SortThreadsBy = "replies";

// How many days old can a thread be and still make the list?
$threadage = 7;

// Set this variable to the total number of threads that you wish to show
$totalthreads = 10;

// ---------- CURRENT THREADS VARIABLES ---------- //

// How many current threads posted in the past 24 hours should we display?
$totalcurrentthreads = 20;

// Ignore sticky current threads? 1=yes 0=no
$nostickycurrent = 1;

If you have ICQ, Icq me.. my # is in my profile..
Ok I'm drawing a blank now.

I don't have any instant messenger stuff. Let me give this some thought and see if something comes to mind.

Has anyone else had a problem simular?
Can you create a test board that allows guest access for posting? And then post a few test messages to it. It just seems like the index is displaying according to group access and nobody has access.

Also, for some strange reason I see a poll displayed on your index page but viewing the list of polls it does not show up.

http://www.cityofsumdall.com/waffen/ubbthreads/index.php?Cat=&paction=polls

At least not for me...

Did you modify the index.php script any?
the polls thing didnt show up for me either.. and I have admin access.. Hrmm.. I hadn't knoticed that one not working..
here is my index.php file. Also my random profile does not work either..

code:
<?
/*
Integrated Index Page (IIP)
Created by Dave. 1/21/2002
[email protected]
http://www.chattersonline.com

Updated on 5/2/2002 to version 4.3

*/
// ----------------- EDIT ----------------------

// Path to the pals folder
$palspath = "/home/sumdall/public_html/waffen/ubbthreads/pals/";

// ---------------------------------------------

include "{$palspath}configpal.php";

if ($configured) {

// load required files
require ("{$index2threadsPath}main.inc.php");
include "{$palspath}requirepal.php";

// load variables

// authenticate visitor
$userob = new user;
$user = $userob -> authenticate("U_Username, U_Password, U_Display, U_Groups, U_Sort, U_View, U_PostsPer, U_TempRead, U_FlatPosts, U_TimeOffset, U_ActiveThread, U_Post_Format, U_PicturePosts, U_ShowSigs, U_Email, U_PictureView");

$palPictureView = $theme['PictureView'];
if ($theme['PictureView']) {
if ($user['U_PictureView'] == "off") {
$palPictureView = 0;
}
}

$Groups = $user['U_Groups'];
if (!$Groups) {
$Groups = "-4-";
}

$Grouparray = split("-",$Groups);
$gsize = sizeof($Grouparray);
$groupquery = "AND (";
$g = 0;
for ($i=0; $i<$gsize;$i++) {
if (!ereg("^[0-9]",$Grouparray[$i])) { continue; };
$g++;
if ($g > 1) {
$groupquery .= " OR ";
}
$groupquery .= "Bo_Read_Perm LIKE '%-$Grouparray[$i]-%'";
}
$groupquery .= ")";

$query = "
SELECT Bo_Keyword,Bo_Title
FROM w3t_Boards
WHERE Bo_Keyword != ''
$groupquery
";
$boardquery = "AND (";
$boardquery2 = "AND (";
$g = 0;
while (list ($BKeyword,$BTitle) = $dbh -> fetch_array($sth)) {
$palBkeyword[$g] = "$BKeyword";
$palBtitle[$g] = "$BTitle";
$g++;
if ($g > 1) {
$boardquery .= " OR ";
$boardquery2 .= " OR ";
}
$boardquery .= "B_Board = '$BKeyword'";
$boardquery2 .= "w3t_Posts.B_Board = '$BKeyword'";
}
$boardquery .= ")";
$boardquery2 .= ")";

$sth = $dbh->do_query("SELECT COUNT(*) FROM w3t_Users WHERE U_Number >= 2");
$registered = $dbh -> fetch_array($sth);
$palShowregs = "{$registered['0']}";

// send the header
$html = new html;
$html -> send_header($config['title'],$Cat,0,$user);

// show full width?
if (($pbsize == 2) && ($paction) && ($paction != "recommend") && ($paction != "ruthanks")) {
echo "$fullWidthStart";
include "{$palspath}menupal.php";
if ($paction == "polls") {
include "{$palspath}polllistpal.php";
}
if ($paction == "attachments") {
include "{$palspath}attachmentlistpal.php";
}
if ($paction == "membersites") {
include "{$palspath}membersitespal.php";
}
}
else {
// create left column
echo "$leftcolstart";

if ($menupal1) {include "{$palspath}menupal.php";}

if ($hottopicpal1) {include "{$palspath}hottopicpal.php";}

if ($searchpal1) {include "{$palspath}searchpal.php";}

if ($pollpal1) {include "{$palspath}pollpal.php";}

if ($topratedpostpal1) {include "{$palspath}topratedpostspal.php";}

if ($currentthreadspal1) {include "{$palspath}currentthreadspal.php";}

if ($threadspal1) {include "{$palspath}topthreadspal.php";}

if ($newuserpal1) {include "{$palspath}newuserpal.php";}

if ($newspal1) {include "{$palspath}newspal.php";}

if ($loginpal1) {include "{$palspath}loginpal.php";}

if ($onlinepal1) {include "{$palspath}onlinepal.php";}

if ($posterpal1) {include "{$palspath}posterspal.php";}

if ($lastseenpal1) {include "{$palspath}lastseenpal.php";}

if ($statpal1) {include "{$palspath}shortstatspal.php";}

if ($randprofilepal1) {include "{$palspath}randprofilepal.php";}

if (!$paction || $paction == "recommend" || $paction == "ruthanks") {

// create middle column
echo "$midcolstart";

if ($paction == "recommend" || $paction == "ruthanks") {
include "{$palspath}recommenduspal.php";
}

if ($menupal2) {include "{$palspath}menupal.php";}

if ($hottopicpal2) {include "{$palspath}hottopicpal.php";}

if ($searchpal2) {include "{$palspath}searchpal.php";}

if ($pollpal2) {include "{$palspath}pollpal.php";}

if ($topratedpostpal2) {include "{$palspath}topratedpostspal.php";}

if ($currentthreadspal2) {include "{$palspath}currentthreadspal.php";}

if ($threadspal2) {include "{$palspath}topthreadspal.php";}

if ($newuserpal2) {include "{$palspath}newuserpal.php";}

if ($newspal2) {include "{$palspath}newspal.php";}

if ($loginpal2) {include "{$palspath}loginpal.php";}

if ($onlinepal2) {include "{$palspath}onlinepal.php";}

if ($posterpal2) {include "{$palspath}posterspal.php";}

if ($lastseenpal2) {include "{$palspath}lastseenpal.php";}

if ($statpal2) {include "{$palspath}shortstatspal.php";}

if ($randprofilepal2) {include "{$palspath}randprofilepal.php";}

// create right column
echo "$rightcolstart";

if ($menupal3) {include "{$palspath}menupal.php";}

if ($hottopicpal3) {include "{$palspath}hottopicpal.php";}

if ($searchpal3) {include "{$palspath}searchpal.php";}

if ($pollpal3) {include "{$palspath}pollpal.php";}

if ($topratedpostpal3) {include "{$palspath}topratedpostspal.php";}

if ($newuserpal3) {include "{$palspath}newuserpal.php";}

if ($newspal3) {include "{$palspath}newspal.php";}

if ($loginpal3) {include "{$palspath}loginpal.php";}

if ($onlinepal3) {include "{$palspath}onlinepal.php";}

if ($currentthreadspal3) {include "{$palspath}currentthreadspal.php";}

if ($threadspal3) {include "{$palspath}topthreadspal.php";}

if ($posterpal3) {include "{$palspath}posterspal.php";}

if ($pastthreadspal) {include "{$palspath}pastthreadspal.php";}

if ($lastseenpal3) {include "{$palspath}lastseenpal.php";}

if ($statpal3) {include "{$palspath}shortstatspal.php";}

if ($randprofilepal3) {include "{$palspath}randprofilepal.php";}

}
else {

// create wide right column
echo "$widerightcolstart";

if ($paction == "polls") {
include "{$palspath}polllistpal.php";
}
if ($paction == "attachments") {
include "{$palspath}attachmentlistpal.php";
}
if ($paction == "membersites") {
include "{$palspath}membersitespal.php";
}
}
}

// end columns
echo "$endcolumns";

// send the footer
$html -> send_footer();

} else {

echo "$closed";

}

?>

[/code]
Never mind.. it seems that the commands from the admin area don't work. The columns are there via phpmyadmin.
Posted By: MTO Re: Integrated Index Page 4.3 addon for UBBT 6.0 - 06/06/2002 9:10 PM
Here´s a little feedback on the "Top 10 Threads" box:
From a user perspective. Currently you look at it, and at the bottom you see a link that says "...by replies". So then you know that you can see the top 10 by replies, but you wonder... "how is it choosing the top 10 now?". You have to click on "...by replies" to see what system is the other one for deciding the top 10.

Maybe it should state it somewhere. Example, box tittle: "Top 10 most viewed", "Top 10 most replied".
You know I had often thought the same but wasn't sure how to word it in the title without it looking strange. I think that the it should still state that it's threads? Such as "Top 10 Viewed Threads" or "Top 10 Replied Threads" or something like that... How do those sound?
Posted By: msula Problem :( - 06/08/2002 9:11 PM
Getting this error from my index page
code:
Fatal error: Failed opening required 'main.inc.php' (include_path='.:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/www/michiganjeepers/index.php on line 21

And line 21 reveals this:
code:
require ("{$threadspath}main.inc.php");

Posted By: JustDave Re: Problem :( - 06/08/2002 9:28 PM
Did you upload the new index page that was packaged with 4.3?

Line 21 looks like this:

if ($configured) {

but the related line in question has been changed to this:

Posted By: msula Re: Problem :( - 06/08/2002 9:44 PM
thanks dave.. stupid me, I was so upload happy I uploaded the index.php file to the pals folder, so the old index was still in there, haha
Posted By: JustDave Re: Problem :( - 06/08/2002 9:48 PM
No problem.

Did you notice my signature? Seems to be working again.. lol
Posted By: msula Re: Problem :( - 06/08/2002 9:55 PM
I did notice that.. wow, and what is the difference from yours working and not mine? I don't get it
Posted By: msula Re: Problem :( - 06/08/2002 10:10 PM
Is this a bug?

Go to my index page:
http://www.michiganjeepers.com/index.php

notice in the center column where the news is displayed... the last one displays NO text, and the first one doesn't display half of the text.

After careful inspection of those topics you will notice with I used the bold tag, that and nothing after it shows up. The last one I started the topic with a bold heading, so obviously nothing was displayed.
Posted By: JustDave Re: Problem :( - 06/08/2002 10:54 PM
You can turn off the striping of html. I may remove this option now that I have "smart cutting" when only X number of characters are to be displayed for the body. In the configpal.php script find this and set the variables to 0:

// Strip HTML? 1=yes 0=no
// Disabling this for boards that do not allow html or mark up will help
// speed things up here. (not enabling on boards that do may break the display)
$postcodestrip[0] = 0;
$postcodestrip[1] = 0;
$postcodestrip[2] = 0;
Posted By: msula Re: Problem :( - 06/08/2002 10:58 PM
ahh, gotcha. When I glanced through I just saw HTML, didn't know it applied to both markups. Thanks!
Posted By: JustDave Re: Problem :( - 06/08/2002 11:12 PM
The post is stored with HTML in the body so there's no need to strip markup. But your right, I should mention HTML along with MARKUP and probably UBBcode so there's no confusion.
Posted By: WrÃ…ith Re: Problem :( - 06/09/2002 12:28 AM
[]I may remove this option now that I have "smart cutting" when only X number of characters are to be displayed for the body[/]*Is really looking forward to this feature.
Posted By: JustDave Re: Problem :( - 06/09/2002 1:28 AM
hmmmm didn't 4.3 have that in?

I think it is... I'll look.

Yep it's in there. It's still in the early stages but seems to be working. I have tweaked the current version a bit as it was leaving the < character at the end of the cut. You would see and probably can still see this at the end of some of the posts on the main page here:

<...

Posted By: Ian_W Syntax for different levels? - 06/09/2002 1:14 PM
Dave (or anyone else),

I am fiddling with a few options for 4.3, and am experimenting with the pals folder in a sub folder.

When configuring up configpal.php,

$pals2threadsPath = "..";

would be fine for going up one level

but what would it be for going up two levels or more? '../..' does not work, and for the life of me, I cannot think what it should be.

Ian.
Posted By: JustDave Re: Syntax for different levels? - 06/09/2002 3:08 PM
I would have thought "../.." would have been ok to go up 2 levels.. strange that it doesn't.

Anyone else?
Posted By: msula New index is SLOW to load.. I don't get it? - 06/09/2002 5:10 PM
Had a few users complain since the upgrade lastnight.. the index page is loading very slow while the rest of the board is fast, if not faster than before. Here are the stats:

Generated in 2.901 seconds. 26 queries. <-- index.php
Generated in 0.065 seconds. 23 queries. <-- ubbthreads.php

What is the dramatic difference? The old PAL I was using never had a problem, and the old one had headers and footers with graphics in them. Right now I don't have the graphics up yet, so its purely text for the most part.

zlib is disabled, but shouldn't matter, as the threads index loads like lightning, but the index doesn't Any ideas?
Posted By: casper_dup1 Re: Syntax for different levels? - 06/09/2002 5:22 PM
"../" makes a request from the root.
Posted By: Ian_W Re: Syntax for different levels? - 06/09/2002 5:41 PM
True, but how about two levels up, where the root is three levels up.

Ian
There are others that have had the same experience. You may have to disable individual pal boxes one at a time till you find what's slowing things down. The pollpal has been pointed out before but that's not always the case as then at other times things such as "top threads" have been pointed out. One of the problems may be that the index is looking or having to look through to many posts for various info. You have over 34,000 posts.

I just did a search on your board for the word "the" from all forums, searching all posts. The time it took was this:

Generated in 3.344 seconds. 5 queries. Zlib compression disabled.

What version were you using prior? I'll have to look at some things and compare them. Perhaps I changed a query that was better left alone.

If it would be possible I would love to have access to your site so I could test some things out and get a better idea of what's needed to speed things up. (or anyone else's site that is having the same problem)

One other idea I have had that would help speed things up is being able to move posts into an archive area after a certain age. This isn't my actual idea though as it has been mentioned and requested a few other times that I have seen. My idea was that I can see how to accomplish such a task. This would help quite a bit as there could be much less for the index to have to pull from.
Posted By: msula Re: New index is SLOW to load.. I don't get it? - 06/09/2002 6:08 PM
THanks for the reply. I was previously using threads 5.5.1 with whichever PAL was the latest one for that version, I can't remember. I also had thought it might be to do with certain pal boxes. Right now I think the only one different I am running now that is different from before was the user spotlight.

But I will first look into playing with different boxes and different numbers of items listed and see if that has any affect on speed. I will let you know what I find out
I did a simular search here and got these results:

Generated in 0.371 seconds. 4 queries. Zlib compression enabled.

There are only 15,000 posts here though.
Posted By: MTO Re: Integrated Index Page 4.3 addon for UBBT 6.0 - 06/09/2002 7:47 PM
Hoping not to interfere too much with current conversation:
[] You know I had often thought the same but wasn't sure how to word it in the title without it looking strange. I think that the it should still state that it's threads? Such as "Top 10 Viewed Threads" or "Top 10 Replied Threads" or something like that... How do those sound? [/] Yes, that sounds good. The shortest it goes the better (to make sure it doesnt wrap in a new line), maybe even "Most Viewed Threads", "Most Replied Threads" (you already see its 10 anyway).
Posted By: WrÃ…ith Re: Problem :( - 06/09/2002 8:30 PM
Dave:

First off, can you fix whatever post in this thread that's causing it to be stretched out? Really annoying.

You're correct that it's working, but it still isn't handling the UBB and HTML codes very well. Ideally, it would be better if it first checked to see where the break falls, and then, if it's in the middle of an HTML code, either break it before or after so as to avoid breaking it in the middle of the code.
Posted By: casper_dup1 Re: Syntax for different levels? - 06/09/2002 10:40 PM
use "../nextlevel/
I think 348 Posts is long enough for one thread.
How about releasing 5.0 with the shoutbox so we can start a new thread.
Posted By: JustDave Re: Problem :( - 06/09/2002 11:08 PM
Wraith, it already does check to see if it's cutting in the middle of html and moves to the end of the closing tag. It is still in the early stage and I know I can fine tune it some but as far as I can tell it's working? That is, the post information such as views replies and read more are not being dragged into the post because of a unclosed html tag. If you have a post this is not working on please let me know so I can see what html tags it's messing up on. I will work on improving it.
only 348?

I was shooting for the 500 club. LoL

I'm working on having the display use templates right now with 5.0 and I haven't started any new features. I wont do that untill after it's templated. Will make it easier if I have less to convert up front.

I may how ever, give creating an archival system a try this week so sites can move older posts they want to keep into a mirrored w3t_Posts table. Some of the speed problems with the index is the fact that some sites have a huge post table to have to search.
[]Yes, that sounds good. The shortest it goes the better (to make sure it doesnt wrap in a new line), maybe even "Most Viewed Threads", "Most Replied Threads" (you already see its 10 anyway). [/]

I like that idea to remove the 10 from the title. What I'll do is place the related ranked number next to the thread.

1. some thread here
2. another thread title here
3. and yet another title

I think that would work out great.
Posted By: MTO Re: Integrated Index Page 4.3 addon for UBBT 6.0 - 06/10/2002 5:20 AM
A little more feedback on the user interface:
The poll results are a little complicated to figure out, at least when there are 5 or more options. Each option results seem to be braking in two lines, so its hard to tell, other than looking much more carefully and calculating possitions, if the graph is for what it says above or what it says below (what option is it for).

Maybe there could be a linebreak between each option, or put the results in rows with visible margins. That is, more clearly separate poll option results.
I had thought about having the table row alternate in background color. What do you think?
Posted By: WrÃ…ith Re: Problem :( - 06/10/2002 6:57 AM
Writes JustDave:
Wraith, it already does check to see if it's cutting in the middle of html and moves to the end of the closing tag. It is still in the early stage and I know I can fine tune it some but as far as I can tell it's working? That is, the post information such as views replies and read more are not being dragged into the post because of a unclosed html tag. If you have a post this is not working on please let me know so I can see what html tags it's messing up on. I will work on improving it.
If you check out my index page, you'll see a few posts that have been cut in the middle of an html tag resulting in the text at the bottom (ie. X replies, X bytes more, etc.) either ending up colored or somehow messed up.

It appears to only be occuring when the post is cut in the middle of a color tag. There are probably two or three examples on my index page that you can look at.
Posted By: JustDave Re: Problem :( - 06/10/2002 7:12 AM
Strange...

Wraith,

There seems to be some html in your posts that I hadn't expected..

such as:

<font color="red">Sarah Michelle Gellar</font color>

The closing tag </font color> isn't expected by the script.

I also seen some non xhtml compliant line breaks, <br> which is another thing that the script isn't looking for. This was mostly do to the fact that with xhtml the script can see all closings of the tags, even with single tags.

[:"red"]This cut:[/]
<font color="red">Selma Blair</font[:"red"]...[/]<P ALIGN=RIGHT>

may have worked but I suspect that the </font> tag was </font color> and the script didn't land where it should have.

Is anyone else having problems with posts being displayed in the news/article section? I'm not sure but is the strange closing tag for the <font> tag something .threads is doing? Or is this some xhtml thing? This is freaky...

Edit Note: It would seem that the [ color: somecolor ] markup [ / color ] tag is creating the strange font closing tag. I wonder if the the posts will display correctly once that tag is fixed?
Posted By: WrÃ…ith Re: Problem :( - 06/10/2002 7:39 AM
I happened to notice that as well, but didn't think much of it (ie. the closing </font color> tag). I think it's most likely a mistake in the software since I'm not aware that XHTML requires that <font> tags be closed in that manner. We'll have to wait and see what Rick has to say.
Posted By: MTO Re: Integrated Index Page 4.3 addon for UBBT 6.0 - 06/10/2002 4:23 PM
Originally Posted by JustDave
I had thought about having the table row alternate in background color. What do you think?
That would probably be the best (much better than line breaks that take extra space). I actually thought of that, but didnt suggest as I thought it would be too much work for you.
your quote didn't work... strange...

I will have the poll changed for 5.0 accordingly
Writes JustDave:
your quote didn't work... strange...
I think that has something to do with the language being hardcoded instead of relying on the correct tags. I'm going to take a look and see if placing the correct codes in will correct that.
Posted By: caymuc Re: Integrated Index Page 4.3 addon for UBBT 6.0 - 06/10/2002 10:41 PM
Hi,
at our board the "start page" is the ubbthreads.php, but I found a cool way to still use PAL as a 'Stats' page for my users

See my board (and make sure to log in to see it
Info atached in the signature below.

Greetings
Hi caymuc

That's a good way to put the index pal to use if your not using it as your main index page! Very nice.

I clicked on the link in your signature and got a 404 error....

This URL works though..

http://www.colour-ize.de/php/forum/ubbthreads.php
Posted By: Ian_W Re: Integrated Index Page 4.3 addon for UBBT 6.0 - 06/10/2002 11:06 PM
Good idea.

You could of course rename the index.php page to stats.php if you already had an IIP.

Create a separate pals directory, from which you need to link correctly to in configpal.php.

Then just replace line 22 of menupal.php (in new pal directory) from

if (!(eregi("index.php",$phpSelf))) {

to

if (!(eregi("stats.php",$phpSelf))) {

In the stats.php (which you renamed the second index.php to) change the pals directory in line 14.

Finally configure configpal to how you want the stats version to appear.

Regards,

Ian
Posted By: caymuc Re: Integrated Index Page 4.3 addon for UBBT 6.0 - 06/10/2002 11:30 PM
When yo ugot the 404 I was probably just uploading my new index.php, a simple code duplication of wwwtreads.php, that redirects to ubbtreads.php.

The PALS index.php is now moved into the PALS folder and targeted from the THREADS "Stats" menu, so everything's working fine here now and I didn't actually needed to rename it.
Posted By: Ian_W Re: Integrated Index Page 4.3 addon for UBBT 6.0 - 06/10/2002 11:46 PM
Writes caymuc:
The PALS index.php is now moved into the PALS folder and targeted from the THREADS "Stats" menu, so everything's working fine here now and I didn't actually needed to rename it.

Great - I wasn't really referring to you renaming it, just thought I would include the above info in case anyone else wanted to do a similar thing, but already had a IIP on their forums.

Ian
Writes msula:
Had a few users complain since the upgrade lastnight.. the index page is loading very slow while the rest of the board is fast, if not faster than before. Here are the stats:

Generated in 2.901 seconds. 26 queries. <-- index.php
Generated in 0.065 seconds. 23 queries. <-- ubbthreads.php

What is the dramatic difference? The old PAL I was using never had a problem, and the old one had headers and footers with graphics in them. Right now I don't have the graphics up yet, so its purely text for the most part.

zlib is disabled, but shouldn't matter, as the threads index loads like lightning, but the index doesn't Any ideas?

Just wanted to let you know I have your database set up and being used with .threads 6.0 and IIP 5.0 on my machine here at home.

When I visited your site I was getting 3.8xx on the generation times with IIP 4.3
On my local machine I'm getting .7xx with 5.0 which is 5 times faster! I'm sure this doesn't mean every site will see an increase of 5 times when I release 5.0 but I think it will be a boost none the less.
Posted By: msula Re: New index is SLOW to load.. I don't get it? - 06/11/2002 4:54 AM
wow, thanks for the update. Looks very promising! Keep up the great work.
I haven't taken my main site to Threads6.0 yet. Still playing with and installing hacks etc.
So maybe I should wait on Integrated Index Page.

Any rough idea of timeframe for you to release 5.0 IIP???

PS - JustDave you're a genius.
Posted By: JustDave IIP 5.0 release date... - 06/11/2002 7:43 AM
I hate to say it but I don't really know or have a time frame in mind. I have stopped adding features and am working on making everything templated to match .threads and I also want to put in a control panel for setting things up more easily from the .threads admin section. One other thing I am keen on making is an archival feature for .threads so that old posts can be expired to a different table but have everything in tact such as permissions. Lowering the amount of information the index has to wade through will speed things up too.

I too would like to get this next release out as soon as possible. I can't upgrade my main site till I get it done so I'm waiting on myself... lol
Posted By: WrÃ…ith Re: IIP 5.0 release date... - 06/11/2002 12:00 PM
Writes JustDave:
I am keen on making is an archival feature for .threads so that old posts can be expired to a different table but have everything in tact such as permissions. Lowering the amount of information the index has to wade through will speed things up too.
I can't even begin to tell you how invaluable this will be for me. It's one of the things I'm looking forward to the most. If you'd like to chat about some ideas on how it could theoretically work, let me know.

I'm usually online most evenings and I can be reached on either AIM, ICQ, or MSN. Send me a PM and I can provide you with the information.
Posted By: msula IIP 4.3 doesn't work with NS 4.79? - 06/11/2002 7:51 PM
Just got this message on my board...

[]Just an FYI, I can't bring up the www.michiganjeepers.com link using Netscrape 4.79...... If I copy and paste a message board link in Netscrape, it works, but the main index page doesn't.

is this a known bug/problem? I don't want to dismiss it as a problem on his end unless I know for sure. Thanks.
Posted By: WrÃ…ith Re: IIP 5.0 release date... - 06/11/2002 10:52 PM
Dave:

How is the modification coming for the newspal.php script regarding the use of the </font color> tag used by UBB.threads?

Just curious if you had a quick fix or whether it will need to wait until v5.0
Posted By: JustDave Re: IIP 5.0 release date... - 06/12/2002 12:22 AM
I had a request for better category support some time ago and I didn't think it would be that hard so I tossed it into a 4.3 copy. It didn't work so I ended up killing a day to make it work... lol

I'll put a few other things into 4.3 and release it as 4.4 sometime in the next day or two. I really don't want to spend to much time on it as I would rather get everything finished up for 5.0 as far as the templates and control panel go.
Posted By: JustDave Re: IIP 4.3 doesn't work with NS 4.79? - 06/12/2002 12:29 AM
Is the link in question the one placed into the menu bar along side "main idex" located in registerednav.tmpl and unregisterednav.tmpl ?

If so there shouldn't be any reason for it to not work. It is like the other links in the menu bar.

I just got my new box put together and I'll be down for a while tonight. Once I'm back up I'll be able to start installing all of the various browsers so I can see first hand on some of this stuff. I'll let you know what I find.

On a side note, you can't see me but I'm clutching my head with both hands ranting "Netscape 4.7... aaaaahhhrrrrgggg the bane of my web design existance" and a few "woe is me"'s in there for good measure.. LoL
Posted By: koncepthwl Error I receive after the Hack install - 06/14/2002 12:41 AM
Error = "Index page closed for maintenance.
Please check back later. Thanks."

What would cause this to be displayed as my Index.php? I am currently trying to get the site up and running, I have Threads working well, and im brushing up on my HTML, but I really like this hack/mod and want to have a nice beautiful index.php as well.. Here is the URL to my site http://64.124.221.23/ubbthreads/index.php

Any help would be great..
Posted By: stanmo Re: Integrated Index Page 4.3 addon for UBBT 6.0 - 06/14/2002 12:43 AM
Hi,

The users are currently logged in the forum but they don't see the status box but rather the login box. Also cookies are enabled. Any fix?

Also, at the main page of Threads Developers, they have boxes under New Member to show additional news. How can I do that? Thanks!
Posted By: Ian_W Re: Error I receive after the Hack install - 06/14/2002 12:53 AM
Check the last line of configpal - you need to change this setting to enable it to become live.

Regards,

Ian.
Posted By: JoshPet Re: Error I receive after the Hack install - 06/14/2002 12:53 AM
Unless this has changed with the latest version (I'm one version behind)... but in the configpal.php (inside the pals folder) make sure the variable $configured is set to "1". If set to "O" your site is "closed".

This feature is there so that you can have it closed while you are configuring things etc....

That should do it.
those are all settings in the config file... check them out, there's a lot there
haha.. yeah.. i got everything working now... phew.. i'm so new to this! thanks again!
This will happen if your cookies are not set to be site wide. Check your cookie path in your config.inc.php file and make sure it is set to "/"
Posted By: Myke Standalone pals? - 06/15/2002 6:29 PM
My site already uses the ubbtnews addon and I had previously hacked a login addon which I used on my site with threads v5.5, but after upgrading to v6.0 it no longer works.

I had already tried modifying the loginpal.php script, adding the necessary requires, etc, but eventually came to a problem where users that were already logged in were receiving the "Warning: headers already sent.." message whenever they re-visited the site.

I checked for trailing carriage returns and line feeds after closing php tags, and couldn't find any. So, I was wondering if anyone can get a pal working on it's own?
Posted By: JustDave Re: Standalone pals? - 06/15/2002 6:44 PM
I'm not sure if anyone has made the login pal a standalone script or not. One of the problems you may be having is that the index.php page does the authentaction and the loginpal.php script displays accordingly. Also, make sure that the send_header function isn't being used more than once as this will cause the "headers already sent" error too.

Let me know how it goes.
Hiya,

I have setup the new index, but at the top of the index page I get the following errors. I have no idea why, not the greatest php scripter in the world

errors are : (They appear right at the top of the index above the header

Warning: Undefined variable: theme in c:\inetpub\wwwroot\test\pals\configpal.php on line 138

Warning: Undefined variable: theme in c:\inetpub\wwwroot\test\pals\configpal.php on line 140

Warning: Undefined variable: friendname in c:\inetpub\wwwroot\test\pals\configpal.php on line 384

Warning: Undefined variable: sendername in c:\inetpub\wwwroot\test\pals\configpal.php on line 384

Warning: Undefined variable: config in c:\inetpub\wwwroot\test\pals\configpal.php on line 384

Warning: Undefined variable: yourmessage in c:\inetpub\wwwroot\test\pals\configpal.php on line 384

Any ideas?

Cheers
Sadgit
I know others have had these kinds of errors before. I'm not exactly sure what's going on when this happens though.

Has anyone else had/solved this problem?
anyway of supressing these errors? well warnings..

Are these variables you created or are they part of ubbthreads?

P.S. This happens on ever forum I create.... made a few test sites and always happens...
Ok I know the cause, more or less, just haven't fixed the way the index gets it's information.

In your index.php page find this:
code:

if ($configured) {

// load required files

// load variables

and change it to this:

code:

$configured = 1;
if ($configured) {

// load required files (set to correct path)
require ("path/to/your/main.inc.php");

Just make sure you have the path/to/your/main.inc.php file correct and this should stop the errors.
am I being thick??

put this in

$configured = 1;
if ($configured) {

// load required files (set to correct path)
require ("c:\inetpub/wwwroot/test");

and now the index page won't load at all..
I now get

Fatal error: Failed opening required 'c:\inetpub/wwwroot/test' (include_path='..') in c:\inetpub\wwwroot\test\index.php on line 23
Not sure but would

require ("c:\inetpub/wwwroot/test");

need to be

require ("c:/inetpub/wwwroot/test");

or possibley on windows it needs to be:

require ("c:\inetpub\wwwroot\test");

I think it should be ("c:/inetpub/wwwroot/test");
I remember runing wwwthreads perl & php version on iis
forward slashs is what it needs
All sorted... thanks for the help..
I hadn't put the main.inc.php at the end of the path..
Posted By: Myke Re: Standalone pals? - 06/16/2002 3:59 PM
OK I got it working finally.

I was originally requiring main.inc.php in my hacked loginpal.php which was resulting in the headers already sent errors (still don't know why). But when I moved the require to my site's main index.php (where loginpal.php is included) then all is well.

I'm just curious as to why you authenticate the user? Doesn't authentication occur by requiring main.inc.php?
Posted By: JustDave Re: Standalone pals? - 06/16/2002 4:08 PM
No, authentication is not automaticly done by including main.inc.php into your files. When using the send_header function it will authenticate the user if they don't have a user status and retrieve the basic user information if available.
bigger test...
how is 5.0 coming?
It came to a grinding hault while I played with other hacks... lol I'll be back on it shortly.

Was kinda nice to work on other stuff.
Understandable. That's why I run two different sites, by the time I play with one for long enough I'm tired of it and can hop on the other site with a lot of ambition. Its a never-ending cycle. lol.. plus one is threads with your IIP and the other is phpnuke with phpbb, so its fun to learn more about both
I had thought about setting up a phpnuke site once... a long time back even before I started messing with IIP. I was new to php and it seemed to be a bit more than I wanted to bite off at the time.

heh... I still consider myself "new" to php. LoL way to much left to learn.
Hi,

I'm using the Integrated Index Page on my forums and it looks fabulous! My users love the look, and so do I! The trouble is, it's taking 20, 30, 40, sometimes 60 seconds to generate the page.

Would anyone be willing to visit my index page (http://forum.foolmoon.com) and tell me what I could do to make the page load in ten seconds or less?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Helice
http://foolmoon.com
once the re-direct from ultimatebb.cgi went through, it loaded in maybe 2 seconds for me, looks good too

JustDave:
I remember you saying something about "sideblocks" for the forums, is this still something available? Would be nice to have a link to hide/unhide as well I see that in the phpnuke/vb stuff.
Allowing custom blocks of user supplied information is on the list along with the ability to to configure menu items. Right now I'm only working on getting IIP moved over to templated layout with a control panel setup from the admin section of threads.

One of the things I do need to do is make an archival system so that .threads users can move old threads into a seperate table altogether. Forums with tons of posts will make the index slower to generate as there is just way to much information to wade through. I'm willing to bet that a phpnuke display isn't pulling information from 30,000+ posts or better (depending on layout, 3 or 4 pal boxes may need query the same amount of information for different results) for their index, 3 or 4 times for their blocks.

It would seem that starting around that 30 thousand mark, and based on hardware of course, things start to slow down noticabley. Currently 4.3 uses some table joins to lower the number of queries to the database. With 5.0 I have been able to removed all table joins with the exception of the "who's online" one. I'm also caching the "short stats" information. These changes have greatly increased the speed. I have tested it on a 34,000+ post count database, thanks to msula and compared his site it is over 4 times faster.

caspe7 has a website with over 84,000+ (84292 as of this post) posts.
The related page generation info is: Generated in 3.6 seconds. 30 queries. Zlib compression enabled.
Here is caspe7's website: http://www.prowrestlingforum.com/threads/
From the looks of it he is using all of the pal boxes too. (16)

It is strange how things vary though.

msula has a website with 36,000+ (36757 as of this post) posts.
The related page generation info is: Generated in 5.594 seconds. 22 queries. Zlib compression disabled.
Here is msula's website: http://michiganjeepers.com/index.php
From the looks of it he is using 2 less pal boxes. (14)

caspe7's site has well over twice as many posts as msula's and yet the page generation times are almost a full 2 seconds faster. (I pull some hair out of my head daily over this stuff)

Once I have IIP's tempate/control panel stuff done I will work on improving the queries used and will probably cache some more box information too.

My long term goal with IIP is to have people say "*nuke what?"

One of the things I noticed about you index page is that your pulling 9 different forums into the center "news/article" display. Each forum will use 2 queries. So in the center news/article you have 18 queries being used.

I have cut this in half with 5.0

Once I let 5.0 out the door your center section will use only 9 queries for those 9 forums.

For the time being if you limit the center to 2 or 3 boards with a 2 or 3 articles each your page generation times should decrease.
Sounds like good stuff... I have a friend's forum with >100k posts to give it a shot on when you are ready

I am convinced a lot of the problems are server-setup related... they are on a dedicated p3 1ghz/ 512mb ram/ and 15k rpm scsi drives and it still takes 3-4 seconds to generate a postlist page.
[]
I have a friend's forum with >100k posts to give it a shot on when you are ready

Sounds great! I will be very interested in seeing how it handles on such a site.
Posted By: Dalar this thread is huge :P - 06/18/2002 9:49 PM
holy smokes.. quite the big thread we've got here tipsy
Posted By: Helice Re: Integrated Index Page 4.3 addon for UBBT 6.0 - 06/18/2002 10:22 PM
posted by AllenAyres:
once the re-direct from ultimatebb.cgi went through, it loaded in maybe 2 seconds for me, looks good too

Hmmm? I don't have ultimatebb.cgi anywhere on my server, I removed all the UBB.Classic directories and files when I went live with .Threads .

When I load my index page at http://forum.foolmoon.com the debug code says:

Generated in 40.285 seconds. 41 queries. Zlib compression enabled.

Sometimes as little as 15 seconds, sometimes as much as 60.
Posted By: Helice Re: Integrated Index Page 4.3 addon for UBBT 6.0 - 06/18/2002 10:29 PM
posted by JustDave:

For the time being if you limit the center to 2 or 3 boards with a 2 or 3 articles each your page generation times should decrease.

Ok, JustDave, I'll try removing a few articles. I wonder if there's a way to pull up three random forums...? My moderators will accuse me of favoritism if I don't get them on the front page at all. I have 20 public forums; I'd like to pull the news forum every time, and 3 random forums out of the other 19 -- any tips on how I can do that?

I think Allen is refering to the "messages" button link at the top. It's linked to: http://forum.foolmoon.com/forum/ultimatebb.cgi

Posted By: Helice Re: Integrated Index Page 4.3 addon for UBBT 6.0 - 06/18/2002 10:39 PM
Ah, thanks for helping me find an old dead link.

I have about 300 pages, I was bound to miss something when I changed over.
posted by Fool_Moon:

When I load my index page at http://forum.foolmoon.com the debug code says:

Generated in 40.285 seconds. 41 queries. Zlib compression enabled.

Sometimes as little as 15 seconds, sometimes as much as 60.

This last time I visited your site this was the generation time:

Generated in 7.278 seconds. 37 queries. Zlib compression enabled.

Might you be on a shared server by chance? There's quite a difference in times and I'm wondering if serverload in general is a part of this.
posted by Fool_Moon:
posted by JustDave:

Ok, JustDave, I'll try removing a few articles. I wonder if there's a way to pull up three random forums...? My moderators will accuse me of favoritism if I don't get them on the front page at all. I have 20 public forums; I'd like to pull the news forum every time, and 3 random forums out of the other 19 -- any tips on how I can do that?

In your configpal.php script find this:

// ---------------- NEWS/REVIEWS VARIABLES --------------- //

$postdisplay[0] = "someboard1";
$postdisplay[1] = "someboard2";
$postdisplay[2] = "someboard3";

and change it to this:

$BoardGroup1[0] = "board1";
$BoardGroup1[1] = "board2";
$BoardGroup1[2] = "board3";

$BoardGroup2[0] = "board4";
$BoardGroup2[1] = "board5";
$BoardGroup2[2] = "board6";

$BoardGroup3[0] = "board7";
$BoardGroup3[1] = "board8";
$BoardGroup3[2] = "board9";

$RndNum = rand(0,2);

$postdisplay[0] = "PermNewsBoardKeywordHere";
$postdisplay[1] = $BoardGroup1[$RndNum];
$postdisplay[2] = $BoardGroup2[$RndNum];
$postdisplay[3] = $BoardGroup3[$RndNum];

Just replace the "board1" - "board9" keywords with your board's keywords.

I think that will work. Let me know how it goes.
Generated in 7.774 seconds. 37 queries. Zlib compression enabled.

Yeah, there's a link to ultimatebb.cgi on your front page: http://foolmoon.com/
Posted By: Helice Re: Integrated Index Page 4.3 addon for UBBT 6.0 - 06/19/2002 12:14 AM
Wow, that worked great!

I'm down to 28 queries, and loading in about 6 seconds, and the random article choices are working just as they should.

You're a genius! Thanks very much.
Generated in 6.217 seconds. 27 queries. Zlib compression enabled.

Posted By: Lisa_P Re: Integrated Index Page 4.3 addon for UBBT 6.0 - 06/19/2002 12:46 AM
[] I will be very interested in seeing how it handles on such a site.

It got trampled! (I actually need a little crying icon, because I was pretty bummed.)

I set a testboard up and connected it to an empty database we had, then imported a dump of our main board that I did a couple weeks ago. I imported just under 200k posts (192,208).

{Side note -- the alter table from 5.5.1 to 6.0.1 worked perfectly -- importing was the part I was most afraid of. The board itself runs very quickly.}

I installed the IIP and didn't change any of the "default" settings, I just ran it the way it is downloaded. It took anywhere from 30 to 45 seconds to generate. Clearly that won't do! I still have a dial-up connection, so I'm used to slow surfing, but the majority of our members have cable/dsl and they definitely would complain about that kind of wait!

So I started removing one box at a time. After I'd removed more than half of the default ones, it was still more than 20 seconds. So I removed all of the boxes and ran it (just to be sure I hadn't screwed something up) and it was .001 seconds or something. I started adding things back in one at a time, hoping to get some use out of the page and still keep it fast. Unfortunately I was only able to put a few boxes back (search, login, menu, top 3 posters, status, past 9 threads, and 2 posts from each of 3 forums) and it is still taking between 9 and 10 seconds.

After reading what you mentioned above, I think I should limit it down to 1 forum (how do you pick 1 out of 50? ) for the middle column, just for announcements or whatever. That should help.

If you'd like to have a look at it just let me know.
Hey JustDave,

Just to drive you more nuts and show that there is no consistency.... my board has 20,070 posts. I'm using all the pal boxes (I think - maybe I turned off one) and pulling 3 forums into newspal.

Generated in 2.278 seconds. 31 queries. Zlib compression enabled.

Sometimes Things don't make sense.
posted by Fool_Moon:
Wow, that worked great!

I'm down to 28 queries, and loading in about 6 seconds, and the random article choices are working just as they should.

You're a genius! Thanks very much.

That's good news.

I'm sure you will see more improvement with 5.0 when it's released.
Yes, Lisa I would be very interested to see how 5.0 handles your site when I release it.

I think you will want to use the archival system I'll be creating on it first. It's unfortunately natural to have queries slow down as the amount of information is increased in searches.
Dave Question... How can I umm change that "Private - Pal..." to say "My Domain Index - Pal..."??
To the online.php inside your language files.....

Add something like this:
code:

$ubbt_lang['index'] = "Viewing the Front Page";

Obviously you can use whatever text you wish.
Posted By: fishtails Re: news display - 06/22/2002 4:47 PM
Hello,

I'm getting no display of the news in the center column. I've checked my config several times, and tried the suggestion refered to hotbabes, but I still get nothing displayed. Here's a link to the install. My keywords are talk, centerline, and bs. http://www.natcazjx.org/forum/

Great script btw. Everything seems to work except pulling my latest posts. Any ideas?
Posted By: JoshPet Re: news display - 06/22/2002 4:51 PM
I get attempt to load URL failed.

Are you sure the URL you posted here is correct?
Posted By: fishtails Re: news display - 06/22/2002 6:41 PM
yes, it's correct. I get that every now and then as well, but not with ubbt. This happens when I have my keywords entered into palconfig. Now, if I leave the variables blank, I get my index page back and not the 404 error as you'll now see. http://www.natcazjx.org/forum/

Here's my setup when I get the page not found:

$postdisplay[0] = "talk";
$postdisplay[1] = "centerline";
$postdisplay[2] = "bs";

$postmax[0] = 1;
$postmax[1] = 3;
$postmax[2] = 3;

$ignoresticky[0] = 0;
$ignoresticky[1] = 0;
$ignoresticky[2] = 0;

When I remove the talk, centerline and bs, I get the proper display, but without the new, of course.

Strange.

Oh, I don't know if it matters, but there are several private forums. One of them is bs. I don't know if that matters or not.
Posted By: JoshPet Re: news display - 06/22/2002 7:43 PM
I tend to check the simple things first...
But in your config pal....
Do you have the "news" turned on.... it needs to have a "1" next to it, instead of a "0"...like this:

code:

// middle column includes (1 = display it, 0 = don't)
$menupal2 = 0;
$searchpal2 = 0;
$statpal2 = 0;
$pollpal2 = 0;
$currentthreadspal2 = 0;
$threadspal2 = 0;
$newuserpal2 = 0;
$newspal2 = 1;
$loginpal2 = 0;
$onlinepal2 = 0;
$posterpal2 = 0;
$topratedpostpal2 = 0;
$hottopicpal2 = 0;
$lastseenpal2 = 0;
$randprofilepal2 = 0;

Posted By: fishtails Re: news display - 06/22/2002 8:01 PM
Yes, it's set to 1.

// middle column includes (1 = display it, 0 = don't)
$menupal2 = 0;
$searchpal2 = 0;
$statpal2 = 0;
$pollpal2 = 0;
$currentthreadspal2 = 0;
$threadspal2 = 0;
$newuserpal2 = 1;
$newspal2 = 1;
$loginpal2 = 0;
$onlinepal2 = 0;
$posterpal2 = 0;
$topratedpostpal2 = 0;
$hottopicpal2 = 0;
$lastseenpal2 = 0;
$randprofilepal2 = 0;

I do appreciate your time, btw.
Posted By: JoshPet Re: news display - 06/22/2002 8:12 PM
Well... one more simple thing I would check.... and then we've reached the end of my debugging skills. LOL

It does seem to be working otherwise... so you've got it properly configured.

Make sure the center colum is set with a width:

code:

// left column width
$leftcolwidth = "24%";

// center column width
$centercolwidth = "52%";

// right column width
$rightcolwidth = "24%";

I would also try re-uploading a clean copy of the newspal.php and newuserpal.php from a fresh unzip in case it's corrupt somehow. It could either one of those screwing things up.

Another thing.. in case there is a bug somewhere....
I see your last user was registered on 5/28... by default this is set to 7 days:

code:

// How many days old can someone still be a new member?
// 0 will disable and they will be displayed untill the next person joins.
$newbielimit = 7;

Might try making it 30 to see if theres some sort of bug when there's no new user to list. I looked at this because you've got "new user" set to display before the news and that could be messing it up.

If not.. then I'm sure JustDave will know the "real" solution.
Posted By: fishtails Re: news display - 06/22/2002 9:30 PM
Tried changing the new user to 30 as well as 60 days. I'll have to wait til I get home from work to try uploading fresh copies of those files you mentioned.

Right now I have the newspal2 turned off, and turned on current threads for the middle column. I tried turning on newspal1 in the left column but it has the same effect, page not found.
Posted By: Dslam Re: news display - 06/23/2002 2:59 AM
humm hey I have not been following your problem .
but your getting a page not found ?
1 make sure the file is on your server <-- possible

2 make sure the files at least are CHmod 644 <-- possible also .

edit
ok I just looked at your site .
did you make sure to list the "keyword" or "keywords" for the board your going to use with the news ?
Posted By: fishtails Re: news display - 06/23/2002 5:33 AM
Ok, I just uploaded a fresh copy of newspal.php and still no joy. Something is going on with this newspal somewhere, I just can't pinpoint it. You would think that if there's some sort of bad query it would give me an error message or something not a page not found.
Posted By: Aglavalin Re: news display - 06/23/2002 5:39 AM
Dunno if this helps, but I had to set my keywords to UBB1 UBB2 etc. My UBBT 6.0.1 was upgraded from a older version of UBB (now classic) and those were the forum names that worked for me.
Posted By: fishtails Re: news display - 06/23/2002 5:59 AM
Tried that too even though this was an upgrade from wwwthreads 5.1.4 . It did however gave me a display rather then a 404 error as previously mentioned. Matter of fact, you can type anything you want in there and the page displays, of course no news. But, when you put any keywords from BO_keyword it craps out with the 404.

Thanks anyway. I'll keep trying. If I figure it out I'll be sure to post here. Then again, sometimes I can't see the trees because of the forest.
Posted By: Lisa_P Re: Integrated Index Page 4.3 addon for UBBT 6.0 - 06/23/2002 10:43 PM
Could someone tell me how to add an additional link in the menupal? I know which file to edit, but I don't know how to stick the link in there! TIA!
You need to edit the menupal.php file, inside the pals directory.

Look for this line (3rd from the bottom):

echo "$tableEnd";

Just ABOVE that line, add this:
echo "$rowStart<a href="http://www.yourdomain.com/yourlink.html">The Text for Your Link</a>$rowEnd2";

That would place it right after the "Recommend Us!" link. But you could move it up in the list if you wanted.

Hope this amateaur hacker has helped.
Josh, you're an expert hacker in the making! Thank you very much, it worked perfectly.
Josh,

Thanks for the hand here!

I have been gone for a week. I hadn't planned on it but coudn't avoid having to get some projects done.

~Dave
hmmm...i can't get it to work...i just get the message that says its down...i have a ubb.threads installed and functioning already...this is my config...any ideas? help...jv

<?
// VERSION
$palVersion = "4.3";

// ---------------- PATH VARIABLES ---------------- //

// full path to the pal directory (no trailing slash / )
$fullPath2pals = "/web/home2/w026125/docs/htsthreads/pals";

// path to threads directory from index.php
$index2threadsPath = "";

$pals2threadsPath = "..";

// url to index.php (no trailing slash / )
$url2indexpal = "http://www.hometheaterspot.com/htsthreads";

// url to pal directory (no trailing slash / )
$url2palsDirectory = "http://www.hometheaterspot.com/htsthreads/pals";

// full path to the palimages directory (no trailing slash / )
$fullPath2palimages = "/web/home2/w026125/docs/htsthreads/pals/palimages";

$url2palimagesDirectory = "http://www.hometheaterspot.com/htsthreads/pals/palimages";
Look at the very last line of your config, there is a variable to turn the index on or off.. you need to change the 1 to a 0 or vice versa, I can't remember, but it should be way down at the bottom of the file
WOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

this is very nice...but i'm not sure why the middle column information actually shows up in the first column...leaving the middle column empty...

now...if i could just find a tutorial on how to set up columns on the left and the right throughout the site i would be in heaven...

THANKSTHANKSTHANKSTHANKS!!!!!!!
Well, most of it is pretty documented within the file with comments, but ALL the settings you need to change are within the config file. Each "pal" or I guess block you can call it has a name, and each column has a list of the blocks, and a 1 for on, and 0 for off. So make sure your left column has only the blocks you want displayed, and your center block has what you want.. etc.

You're best bet is to read through most of the posts in this thread, as there are many similar questions like yours and lots of explanations Glad its starting to work for ya.
posted by JustDave:

Sounds great! I will be very interested in seeing how it handles on such a site.

argghhh... just installed:

http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/index.php

It's on a dedicated dual p3 1ghz with a gb of ram and it is taking 15-30 seconds to load the index... there's no traffic in the forums yet, but there are ~250k posts or so - most of which are archived... 11k members.

Any tips for speedup?

Can we disallow forums that are archived from the searchs for the top threads etc?
hmm.. yours is acting differently than mine. My index loads slow (2-7 seconds usually) but it loads the header almost instantly, then the rest of it comes up shortly after. On yours, the whole page is blank and everything comes up at the same time, which is weird since as like other sites, it should load the header first w/o any delay. *shrug* I dunno.
With some luck I'll be sending you a beta of 5.0 to test with. I lost a full week and this week will still not allow me to hit this up fully. I'm still not finished with templating and I haven't really scratched the surface as far as control panel setup goes. Once the template part is complete it will remove many of the configure settings from the configpal.php script. This will make for less coding needed for the control panel.

Large sites will still be hit harder when they have that many posts to pull from. This is the main reason for me wanting to create an archive feature that will use a seperate table that mirrors the layout of the w3t_Posts table to store older posts in.

The index page, in my opinion, should display current information. Visitors to a site with posts 2 or 3 years old or more probably expect more current information at the entrance.
ok we'll re-diret around this index page until some progress can be made
Allen, I've got it set up on a shared server, but we only share with 1 other site, so we don't have a problem there. I imported 190k posts, and it runs as slow as you've mentioned -- 15 to 30 seconds, depending on what I have turned on.

I started playing with it, turning things on and off, and making notes of the times. Here is what I've found after LOTS of playing :

Empty, all off Generated in 0.028 seconds. 4 queries. Zlib compression enabled.

Searchpal3 Generated in 0.024 seconds. 4 queries. Zlib compression enabled.

Menupal1
Searchpal3 Generated in 0.024 seconds. 4 queries. Zlib compression enabled.

Menupal1
Searchpal3
Newuser1 Generated in 0.026 seconds. 5 queries. Zlib compression enabled.

Menupal1
Searchpal3
Newuser1
Newspal2 Generated in 0.057 seconds. 7 queries. Zlib compression enabled.

Menupal1
Searchpal3
Newuser1
Newspal2
Loginpal3 Generated in 0.062 seconds. 9 queries. Zlib compression enabled.

Menupal1
Searchpal3
Newuser1
Newspal2
Loginpal3
Randprofilepal3 Generated in 0.071 seconds. 10 queries. Zlib compression enabled.

Menupal1
Searchpal3
Newuser1
Newspal2
Loginpal3
Randprofilepal3
Hottopicpal3 Generated in 3.223 seconds. 11 queries. Zlib compression enabled.
(added 3 seconds!)

Menupal1
Searchpal3
Newuser1
Newspal2
Loginpal3
Randprofilepal3
Shortstatspal1 Generated in 0.393 seconds. 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.

Menupal1
Searchpal3
Newuser1
Newspal2
Loginpal3
Randprofilepal3
Shortstatspal1
Current Poll1 Generated in 7.534 seconds. 19 queries. Zlib compression enabled.
(added 7 seconds!! poll board NOT specified, random poll on)

Menupal1
Searchpal3
Newuser1
Newspal2
Loginpal3
Randprofilepal3
Shortstatspal1
CurrentPollPal1 Generated in 0.389 seconds. 19 queries. Zlib compression enabled.
(with poll board specified, no random)

Menupal1
Searchpal3
Newuser1
Newspal2
Loginpal3
Randprofilepal3
Shortstatspal1
CurrentPollPal1 Generated in 0.41 seconds. 20 queries. Zlib compression enabled.
(with poll board specified, random poll on)

If nothing else, it at least gives you an idea of what to turn on and off. I've found the Hot Topic really drags it out, as well as the poll, if you don't have a specific board specified for the polls. I also only have 1 forum specified for the newspal, because Dave mentioned that narrowing the boards down to 1 might help (it did.)

I still really like it, I hope 5.0 helps with some of the pals though, because I'd love to add more.
Thanks Lisa

I'll focus some on the hot topic box. (and many other areas as well... lol)
yes, thanks... it is most likely the hot topic doing this, as it is running through the 250k posts to check. I'll turn that one off and see how it improves.

It runs pretty fast empty
With Hot Topic:

Generated in 14.928 seconds. 27 queries. Zlib compression enabled.

Without Hot Topic:

Generated in 14.887 seconds. 26 queries. Zlib compression enabled.

Without Hot Topic and Last Seen:

Generated in 14.734 seconds. 25 queries. Zlib compression enabled.

With Hot Topic and Last Seen, but Without Top 10 Threads:

Generated in 8.594 seconds. 26 queries. Zlib compression enabled.

Seemed to make the most improvement... maybe we can specify forums to not check for top 10 threads.
That may help. Perhaps creating an additional field so a board can have an on/off setting for inclusion?
I am for it if it helps
I have been working on this, whittling down the different options, trying to save server load and just found this one:

Everything I trimmed helped some, some only a few hundredths of a second, some as much as a second. I eventually got it from ~8-9 seconds to ~6.7 seconds. However, when I turned off the top-rated posts, it next dropped from ~6.7 seconds to ~0.292 seconds

Anyways, looks like we found the major bottleneck with IIP, at least in regards to this particular large forum I am gonna turn a couple things back on as long as things stay below ~.5 seconds
Removing that top rated post pal from here reduced the generation time ~40% (~.57 seconds -->> ~.35 seconds).
That is quite a bit of difference. When I got some time I'll look over that pal box and see if I have the query done as cleanly as possible. Thanks.
Hmm... looks like I'll turn that off right now until 5.0 comes out Thanks for the heads up!
Yes, it isn't the program as a whole, just some pals that are the problem.

I pulled in a new copy of our database (I'd been using one that was almost a month old) that has 230k posts. I have the following pals turned on:

menu
search
login
news (from 1 forum only) (limited to 3 or 5 really didn't make a difference)
polls (from 1 forum only)
short stats
random member profile

With all of those turned on, it's consistently at .3 - .4 seconds -- very nice!

One of the biggest influences on time for us is limiting the forums in news and polls. We have about 40 forums (about 1/2 aren't visible because they are only being used to store archives right now). If I didn't limit the forums to just 1, it added several seconds to the polls.

I'd love to be able to add the other pals on, if/when they are able to be speeded up. But it's still functional with the above turned on, and it isn't slow at all with the huge number of posts.
Even with the optimizations I have done with 5.0 there will still be speed problems on sites with high post counts. This is one of the reasons I want to create the archival system that would move posts to a different table in the database for archives. Having IIP pulling data from say the last 30 days is better than having it pull from the last 3 years... (just an example) LoL not sure if anyone's database is that old.

I'm going to cache more of the information that is displayed by IIP too so that will help.

Right now I'm uploading 6.0.2 so I can make sure IIP 5.0 wont have any problems with the current .threads release. I intend on sleeping very little this week in hopes of getting 5.0 done asap. LoL
Posted By: msula Re: Integrated Index Page 4.3 addon for UBBT 6.0 - 07/01/2002 11:49 PM
Thanks for your hard work dave... just one more problem you might need to fix. You know how I had the problem with users logging into my forums after I went to 6.0.2 due to lack of me uploading a template? Well I fixed that, users can login fine there but cannot login from the main page "loginpal.php" as it is giving the same error.

I tried looking at what would need changing, but I'm not very good at code
I just uploaded 6.0.2 today but haven't set anything up yet. I'll post the patch code for anything that's not working. As it stands I'm going to try and not spend to much time on anything but getting IIP 5.0 finished.
No problem, I understand But for people who aren't smart enough to click the forums link and login there, they would rather just email me, lol. I also noticed eventhough I'm logged in, on the index page it is showing the login box rather than my info for PMs and stuff
hmmmm I don't think that's happening here is it?
you are correct, it isn't. umm... hrmm. Maybe I forgot to upload another template? I was lost in a sea of changes files this time around. What template(s) does the index use?
The index itself doesn't use any templates as of yet. IIP 5.0 will though. Are your cookies set site wide? That may be the reason it's not seeing you as logged in?

Just a thought.
Hrmm... you sure? (not like you wouldn't be since you created it ) The reason I ask is just for grins and giggles I re-uploaded ALL template files from the 6.0.2 package and instantly the loginpal box is working like it is supposed to now... just very odd is all.
hehe yeah I think I'm sure... but it's been a long month. (and it just started) LoL

I'm glad it fixed itself...
Posted By: Dslam Re: Integrated Index Page 4.3 addon for UBBT 6.0 - 07/02/2002 10:55 PM
hey dave would you mind releasing your shout box ?
hehe
I added the shout box to mine but using an iframe
not a good idea for the none ie users

The shoutbox is part of 5.0 and is in an iframe. For browsers that do not support iframes (which is a w3c standard now) a link will be displayed to open a new window with the shoutbox. Currently the shoutbox data is stored in w3t_Posts and I have to change that so as to not place any more burden on that table. (mostly for larger sites) I'll have to create some pal specific tables to be used independantly from .threads to make things more managable and lesson the chances of cross contanimating.

oh got ya ok
well if it's w3c now then I'll stick with what I have ;-)

thanks for the reply :-) looking forward to v5 ya know LOL
I'm still using version 2.5
I'm not sure what's up with this error, but here goes. When using the 'recomend us' form, I get the following errors everytime with IIP 4.3.

Notice: Undefined variable: paction in C:\path\ubbthreads\pals\recommenduspal.php on line 3

Notice: Undefined variable: paction in C:\path\ubbthreads\pals\recommenduspal.php on line 53

Notice: Undefined variable: paction in C:\path\ubbthreads\pals\recommenduspal.php on line 80

Seems like the variable 'paction' is not carrying over from the index.php? I dunno what's up with this. I have not altered the recomenduspal.php file.
I'm headed to bed right now. I'll take a look at this after work tomorrow and see if I can find out why it would be caused.
Posted By: Dslam Re: Integrated Index Page 4.3 addon for UBBT 6.0 - 07/03/2002 10:11 PM
woops the front page is broken on this site LOL
whatsup with that
The index is having the same problems .threads was when building the group query with ereg. I'll have to look over the code and show where some instances should be changed to prevent the error.
Posted By: Lisa_P Re: Integrated Index Page 4.3 addon for UBBT 6.0 - 07/05/2002 12:17 AM
Hey Dave, I have a question about the Random Profile pal. Does it 'filter' or somehow limit who it shows? We're curious if it will show people who have been banned. It would be great if there was a way we could limit it just to group 3.

Along similar lines, we'd like to have the Top Posters only pull from group 3 as well. I looked at it and it was set to only show people whose ID number is >=3 (I think?), but then the top 5 posters are all admin or mods and that kind of takes the fun out of it for the members. The top 10 has admin, mods, and the rest are a few members that recently had a falling out (major mess ) and have left and created their own site. Having them up doesn't sit will with us. If we could limit it to people in group 3 it would be perfect.

Anyone know if this would be something simple to change? I tried several times to no avail.
Posted By: msula Re: Integrated Index Page 4.3 addon for UBBT 6.0 - 07/05/2002 12:22 AM
I agree with Lisa's idea, since being the admin I have way more posts than anyone, so I don't need to be on the list No banned users or anything to worry about, but ya never know

Also, dealing with the random profile pal, could you make it so it displays the login name of the person? Sometimes people don't fill in their profile with a name so you don't know who it is unless you click "tell me more..." Just a thought.
I'm sure I can set it up so you would be able to specify a particular group to pull from. I'm plugging away on IIP 5.0 and will add that in when I get to those boxes.

As for a quick fix... hmmmm... let me look...

For the random profile find this query:

$query = "
FROM w3t_Users
WHERE U_Number >= 2
LIMIT $RandNum,1
";

and change it to this:

$query = "
FROM w3t_Users
WHERE U_Number >= 2
AND U_Groups LIKE '%-3-%'
LIMIT $RandNum,1
";

For top posters find this:

$query = "
SELECT U_Username,U_Totalposts
FROM w3t_Users
WHERE U_Number >= 2
ORDER BY U_Totalposts DESC
$limit
";

and change it to this:

$query = "
SELECT U_Username,U_Totalposts
FROM w3t_Users
WHERE U_Number >= 2
AND U_Groups LIKE '%-3-%'
ORDER BY U_Totalposts DESC
$limit
";

I think that should do it.

Let me know if it dont. I'll figure out why then.
There is a few more things I would like to do with that box. I took the lesser server load route but will be looking into building on what's there at some point.
Just a thought...

You could go in and manually change the bad guy's post counts (for the worse). LoL
I think I would have to add an additional query to the boxes to avoid banned users. It would be easier if the w3t_Users table had a field that could be used to signify that the user is banned. This would be a bit more involved as far as setting up.
Posted By: Lisa_P Re: Integrated Index Page 4.3 addon for UBBT 6.0 - 07/05/2002 12:45 AM
Would it be just as difficult to specify the group to pull from? We have banned users in a group by themselves, so we limit what they can see/do. We pull them out of the group 3 for members.

Don't worry about it if it's just too involved!
Posted By: msula Re: Integrated Index Page 4.3 addon for UBBT 6.0 - 07/05/2002 12:51 AM
dave, what are you doing working, its a holiday. Go BBQ yourself some good food
If you have banned users in a specific group you could change that query to exclude them...

AND U_Groups NOT LIKE '%-3-%'

or what ever group you have them in.
posted by msula:
dave, what are you doing working, its a holiday. Go BBQ yourself some good food

That's also on the list of things to do today. LoL actually am headed out here shortly.
Posted By: Lisa_P Re: Integrated Index Page 4.3 addon for UBBT 6.0 - 07/05/2002 12:59 AM
The change you posted for the top posters is perfect and working.

I had thought about just taking out their post numbers, but when they left they emailed as many members as they could with a huge list of allegations saying how deceptive we were -- basically targeting our members who weren't computer savvy enough to know they were full of it -- so we feel like we're walking on eggshells on some issues. Changing post counts wouldn't look cool to some people. I know, I know, it's our site. But it's a commercial site, so we try to keep them happy.

I haven't tried the other one yet, but will in just a few. (I have a teething baby who is grumpier than crap right now. )
Thank you! I was doing it similar, but I didn't have the "%" in there (I didn't think about it, even though I always use it in mysql ), and I had an = in there somewhere. I basically have no clue what I'm doing. Now if we were talking about probate estates or corporation law, that would be another thing!

Thank you again Dave.
Posted By: Rio Re: Integrated Index Page 4.3 addon for UBBT 6.0 - 07/08/2002 8:32 AM
I just upgraded my site to 6.02 and added the pal. Now, noone can login from the index page....below is the error message

We cannot proceed.

All of the required fields are not filled in.

Please use your back button to return to the previous page.

Any ideas?
Yes, Rick changed some things in the 6.0.2 release that was not in the beta I used to update 4.3 against.

If I get a chance I'll look at the loginpal.php script and see what changes need to be made and upload the updated file.
I meant to say something sooner as well. My users also mentioned that when I upgraded to 6.0.2 the login from IIP wasn't working any longer.

I've been so busy though....
I had seen it earlier too myself. Was hoping to get 5.0 out before to long so as not to have to work on the older versions any... lol

I have attached an updated loginpal.php file. I can't test it at this time so let me know if it works. Thanks.

(just download, unzip, and upload to your pals directory)

Attached File
Posted By: Lisa_P Re: Integrated Index Page 4.3 addon for UBBT 6.0 - 07/08/2002 10:00 AM
It works, it works!!! Thank you!!
Posted By: Rio Re: Integrated Index Page 4.3 addon for UBBT 6.0 - 07/08/2002 3:01 PM
Thank you sir.... you da man
Thanks Dave! I had just tried to login to my boards from work and discovered I was unable from the entrance page. This is very timely since I have had users that were unable to login and I assumed they had cookie issues.
The status pal seems to be missing from the attachement in the first post of this thread
posted by Dalantech:
The status pal seems to be missing from the attachement in the first post of this thread

I just looked. It's there. It's called shortstatspal.php
posted by JustDave:
posted by Dalantech:

I just looked. It's there. It's called shortstatspal.php

I stayed up way too late last night

Thanks!
Dave, thanks for doing this and offering it. Forgive me, but I'm too lazy to go through the zillions of postings to see if you attached a more recent version therein.

I'm assuming the attachment to this thread starter (47069-IIP.4.3.zip) has not dynamically updated as you've tweaked....if that's correct, where does one go to find the latest? I don't see it on the "V6 Finished Modifications" board.

Excuse the possibly clueless question...

JIM
I don't think there is a 'latest' but there are a couple fixes for issues and ubbt ubgrades posted throughout this thread as well as setup and speed issue discussions. I would recommend reading through it all and taking what you need for your site.

Also, there is reported to be a new 5.0 version coming out soon, so you might want to wait for that. This 4.3 with the fixes works great
ok, thanks for taking time to reply. I'll gladly de-laze myself and hunt through. I just didn't want to undertake that if there was a more direct way to grab the latest which I hadn't fathomed!

JIM
Hi Chowhound,

I'm still working on 5.0, which is being converted over for template/language file/control panel setup. Right now I am pushing 16 hour days to get a project done by this coming Monday. Today I cut it short to 14 hours and had enough motivation to turn the computer on when I got home. LoL

I know that your forums are huge, with 300,000 postings if I recall correctly. A site such as that will be best served by 5.0 do to the caching abilities it will offer with the information being displayed. As it stands, there are at least 4 pal boxes that will query your them 300,000 posts and this will take time. I'm going to put together an archive system that will move older posts out of the w3t_Posts table into an archive table to help speed things up also. The index page drawing from 20,000 most recent posts will be much more quicker than drawing from all 300,000 of them.

Once Monday comes and goes I'll be able to breath easier and will have some time to spend on IIP 5.0
Hi, Dave

thanks for the explanation (and the work you're putting in). If you ever need chow tips....

I'd not even considered that this add-on might add to wear/tear re: server assets. I'm already completely unconfident that ubbt will work at my site's scale, and am not real eager to add to the load. But at very least I'll definitely wait for the next version before even considering adding it on.

thanks again, get some rest,

JIM
Hi there
I have been using the IIP for a while, its great thank you.
Just to point out something which threw me with this latest upgrade.
If you happen to be pulling a post with javascript in it to the middle column (a window popup in my case), it can cause things to go a bit hey-wire in the right hand column, it was a bit of a cludge anyway - yes it did take me a while to figure out what had gone wrong
code:
<form>
<br><INPUT TYPE="button" VALUE="Talk to Sid" onClick="window.open('http://arachnid.mweb.co.za:2001/CHAT?template=use','Sid','toolbar=no,locationbar=no,directories=no,status=no,menubar=no,scrollbars=yes,resizable=yes,width=510,height=260,left=100,top=10'); win.focus();">
<br></form>

Thanks for letting me know about it. I'll keep that in mind while working on 5.0
I can't seem to get this working, my index page comes up as-
http://www.audi-sport.net/index.php?Cat=
help! what am I missing?
posted by Wando:
I can't seem to get this working, my index page comes up as-
http://www.audi-sport.net/index.php?Cat=
help! what am I missing?

At the very end of your config file there is a variable you have to change to activate the index page. Its setup that way you can temporarily turn it off while making changes Hope that helps.
cheers dude, didn't look down that far!

now, how to I edit the news items????
and also the 'call us home' and 'add to favourites' links refer to http://www.audi-sport.net/ubbthreads instead of http://www.audi-sport.net/index.php?Cat= how do I change that?
Those links refer to your home url set in your .threads configure file. The variable looks like this: $config['homeurl']

Hope that helps.
my homeurl is set correct, so I can't understand why it's sticking, /ubbthreads on the end, also when you use the recommend to a friend option via email it comes up with
[] The host you are trying to send the input from is not a valid host.

Please use your back button to return to the previous page.

but it doesn't on the rest of the site?????

Also I still don't understand what I need to do to get the news announcements up???
Ok I forgot that 4.3 uses $config['phpurl'] so you will need to edit your menupal.php script and find this:

code:

if ($x == 1) {
echo "$rowStart<a href="#" onClick="this.style.behavior='url(#default#homepage)';this.setHomePage('{$config['phpurl']}');">Call us Home!</a>$rowEnd";
echo "$rowStart<script language="JavaScript">var url="{$config['phpurl']}";var title="{$config['title']}";function AddToFaves() {window.external.AddFavorite(url,title);};</script><a href="javascript: AddToFaves()">Add to Favorites!</a>$rowEnd";
}

and change it to this:

code:

if ($x == 1) {
echo "$rowStart<a href="#" onClick="this.style.behavior='url(#default#homepage)';this.setHomePage('{$config['homeurl']}');">Call us Home!</a>$rowEnd";
echo "$rowStart<script language="JavaScript">var url="{$config['homeurl']}";var title="{$config['title']}";function AddToFaves() {window.external.AddFavorite(url,title);};</script><a href="javascript: AddToFaves()">Add to Favorites!</a>$rowEnd";
}

Hope that helps.
posted by Wando:
Also I still don't understand what I need to do to get the news announcements up???

What do you have set for the variables in the news section of your configpal.php script?

Knowing this will help me help you.
Thanks Dave.

You know, I never stopped to think that this could be a resource-hogger (but then again, I'm not my site's tech guy).

We're concerned enough about server load, scaling, etc for our implementation....maybe this is one cool add-on we need to live without.... : (

Don't work too hard! We don't want a burnt-out Dave!

JIM

$postdisplay[0] = "newsnstuff";
$postdisplay[1] = "ramblings";
$postdisplay[2] = "imsolost";

$postmax[0] = 1;
$postmax[1] = 3;
$postmax[2] = 3;

$ignoresticky[0] = 1;
$ignoresticky[1] = 1;
$ignoresticky[2] = 1;

// Set this to full for displaying all or a number for
// X number of characters or none for none of course.
$postbody[0] = "200";
$postbody[1] = "200";
$postbody[2] = "200";

// Include date posted? 1=yes 0=no
$postdate[0] = 1;
$postdate[1] = 1;
$postdate[2] = 1;

// Include who posted it? 1=yes 0=no
$postwho[0] = 1;
$postwho[1] = 1;
$postwho[2] = 1;

// Include posters picture? (if yes 'include who' must also be yes) 1=yes 0=no
$includepic[0] = 0;
$includepic[1] = 0;
$includepic[2] = 0;

// Strip HTML? 1=yes 0=no
// Disabling this for boards that do not allow html or mark up will help
// speed things up here. (enabling on boards that do may break this display)
$postcodestrip[0] = 1;
$postcodestrip[1] = 1;
$postcodestrip[2] = 1;

// What header style should be used for this board's articles?
$phclass[0] = "tdheader";
$phclass[1] = "tdheader";
$phclass[2] = "tdheader";

// What table style should be used for this board's articles?
$ptclass[0] = "lighttable";
$ptclass[1] = "lighttable";
$ptclass[2] = "lighttable";

// Display how many past news/reviews links? (0 disables)
$postpastmax[0] = 5;
$postpastmax[1] = 5;
$postpastmax[2] = 5;

Thanks for the fix Dave. I'd been having the same problem with the "Call Us Home" function since my UBB.threads is in its own directory. Worked like a charm.
You will need to place your own board's key words in place of mine as your site does not have any boards using my key words.

$postdisplay[0] = "newsnstuff";
$postdisplay[1] = "ramblings";
$postdisplay[2] = "imsolost";

By the looks of it you have imported from .classic? Some of your boards key words are UBB1, UBB2 and so on.

Hope that helps.
Yep, UBB1 etc. was how my old perl ubb named the forums.
Posted By: Wando Re: Integrated Index Page 4.3 addon for UBBT 6.0 - 07/22/2002 11:51 AM
woohoo!
cheers dude, this php and sql stuff is all new to me, really appreciate the help
posted by JustDave:
I had seen it earlier too myself. Was hoping to get 5.0 out before to long so as not to have to work on the older versions any... lol

I have attached an updated loginpal.php file. I can't test it at this time so let me know if it works. Thanks.

(just download, unzip, and upload to your pals directory)

I added this to the first post in the thread Dave, for those like me who spent an hour+ looking for it just now
Thanks Allen

I'll be looking forward to 6.1 and the ability to replace attachments! Less work for you
With the upcoming release of the custom CMS will we be able to add other boxes such as links, site partners, and custom boxes whic one could make/name (such as today's weather, exchange rates)?

The forum makes up an important part of my site but I would like to integrate my entire site with the CMS, not just the forum. So when the main page loads up I don't want it to be 95% concerned with the forums.
There are some new features of 5.0 that 4.3 does not have such as a Shout Box (one line statements in cronological order), Profile Index (profiles displayed in a cataloged style and searchable), Picture Posts (attached pictures from posts displayed in a cataloged style and searchable) and a number of other enhancements.

My main goal was to rewrite the 5.0 I had been working on at my test site to utilize a seperated language file and the templated layout that .threads uses along with a control panel setup. (actually I had started off with my own template idea/route and scrapped it to keep things uniform)

Custom boxes could easily be added to IIP's templates as desired. Using an "include" in the template to pull in any custom code you have created should work as long as you remember to include the "//UBBTREMARK" annotation after the include line.

Custom boxes, such as weather boxes, are great but I myself do not intend to write or distribute the code as such services have their own terms of service that need to be agreed to and followed for each user. Also, I do not intend to write or distribute code that will rip content from other sites for display in the IIP's layout. Some exceptions would be publicly available news feeds from sites that offer them.

One of the problems I have to get around right now is that I wanted to cache most of the information that is displayed by IIP but since this information is formed according to group access I can not store "one size fit's all" data. (been pulling some hair out over this one) LoL

The other thought is to work on an archival system to move older posts into a seperate "archive" table so that IIP can continue to pull fresh information from the forums without having to go through all of the older posts. This will help the speed issues with large sites.
Posted By: JustDave Re: IIP 5.0 release date... - 07/26/2002 12:16 AM
posted by WrÃ…ith:
Dave:

How is the modification coming for the newspal.php script regarding the use of the </font color> tag used by UBB.threads?

Just curious if you had a quick fix or whether it will need to wait until v5.0

Wraith, in your newspal.php script find this line:

$palBodyLen = strlen($palBody);

and change it to this:

$palBody = str_replace("</font color>","</font>",$palBody);
$palBodyLen = strlen($palBody);

I think that should fix the problems with the custom font tags .threads uses. I have included this same change into 5.0 but am not able to test as of yet. (still working on things just thought I would stop and share this...)

Let me know if it works. (it should)

Thanks.
Posted By: Conrad Re: IIP 5.0 release date... - 07/26/2002 1:34 AM
How difficult will it be for intermediate administrators to install and run the new CMS? Will it be hard adding one's own fields/boxes, administering the entire site? Will it require code knowledge or will it be as straightforward as PHPnuke?
Posted By: JustDave Re: IIP 5.0 release date... - 07/26/2002 2:20 AM
posted by Conrad:
How difficult will it be for intermediate administrators to install and run the new CMS? Will it be hard adding one's own fields/boxes, administering the entire site? Will it require code knowledge or will it be as straightforward as PHPnuke?

Q. How difficult will it be for intermediate administrators to install and run the new CMS?

A. I'm not sure how hard it will be for others but with the control panel setup it will be the same level as .threads as far as managing IIP goes and all will be accessible from the .threads admin area.

Q. Will it be hard adding one's own fields/boxes, administering the entire site?

A. You can edit the templates to add what ever you need. These templates are based on the .threads template design.

Q. Will it require code knowledge or will it be as straightforward as PHPnuke?

A. I have never used any of the *nuke portals out there or seen the code in them. I do believe it is as straight forward as .threads is.
Posted By: WrÃ…ith Re: IIP 5.0 release date... - 07/26/2002 8:20 AM
I've applied the fix you provided Dave. I'll let you know how it works.
Posted By: JustDave Re: IIP 5.0 release date... - 07/26/2002 7:18 PM
From looking over your site's index page I can see that there are still some problems but the custom font tag fix seems to have worked. I'll keep tuning on the "smart cutting" as much as possible.
Posted By: WrÃ…ith Re: IIP 5.0 release date... - 07/27/2002 8:47 AM
Thanks.
posted by JustDave:

edit: login pal fix for threads 6.02:

Sir,

I've applied this fix on my site, and logins work fine now, but upon returning to the site my users get the login pal again, instead of the status pal, even after checking "remember me". Threads itself is "remembering" my login, but IIP isn't. Have I missed something else in configpal?

Thanks for your help.

et
Are your cookies set site wide?

$config['cookiepath'] = "/";

would be the correct value in your config.inc.php file.

Hope that helps.
Yessir, that did the trick...thanks.

et
on this 4.3 was there a news script up date ?
my avters are not showing with the post but I do have them enabled
you know what
the image is there LOL but it's a dot
if i view the source the images are listed

but there not displaying
if i mouse over the dot it shows me the alt name then right click it & the image url is there

humm did I mess a setting or something
Strange... I'll have to take a look at the code and see what it's using for a default as far as picture sizes go.
well I made a new post & it showed up file
the other post are older from a older older version of threads so it's ok I'm sure .
*whew*

Glad it's working now.
Hi...

Just a couple of questions...
Firstly, is there any way of changing the order of the pals? I can't seem to find any way of doing it.

Secondly, how do I stop the IIP taking the header from UBBT?
Basically, I have UBBT and Photopost, and I want to have the IIP as a kind of 'community' page, which links to the forum and the gallery, and also a host of other pages. (Chat, events etc.)
So I want to create my own header that is only used on the IIP and nowhere else...
Any ideas?
Hmmm... Also, the random profile pal...
It doesn't show the username... is this done on purpose?
It shows the name, but sometimes people don't fill that information in; t'would definitely be worth having a username.
Also sometimes the random profile pal doesn't show up at all. It's not a big problem, but does anyone know why?

Sorry if these questions have been asked already, I don't have time to go through 23 pages of posts!
you could have the default header be set to the one you want for your index page and set the forum headers individually.
Okay...downloaded it...copiedit...edited the config thing...ran it...and got the following:

Notice: Undefined variable: theme in c:\inetpub\wwwroot\myboard\pals\configpal.php on line 138
Notice: Undefined variable: theme in c:\inetpub\wwwroot\myboard\pals\configpal.php on line 140
Notice: Undefined variable: friendname in c:\inetpub\wwwroot\myboard\pals\configpal.php on line 384
Notice: Undefined variable: sendername in c:\inetpub\wwwroot\myboard\pals\configpal.php on line 384
Notice: Undefined variable: config in c:\inetpub\wwwroot\myboard\pals\configpal.php on line 384
Notice: Undefined variable: yourmessage in c:\inetpub\wwwroot\myboard\pals\configpal.php on line 384

ehhm, its most likely trivial, so be gentle
In your php.ini set Error Reporting notices off.
I think reordering the includes for the pals in the index.php file should change their display order. This is how it looks to me, but I have not tried it myself...
Yep thats how you do it.
Ok... got that working...

If at all possible, I'd like another way of using my own header in IIP rather than go down the route of changing the headers in threads for each forum etc. If not then don't worry.

Also, when logging in via the IIP, the user is taken to the main forum index. Is there any way I can get it to go straight back to the IIP?
Thanks
Tim
Anyone notice errors from loginpal "all required fields are not filled in" since upgrading to 6.0.3?
I just logged out and logged in from the index page here. Seems to be working here.
Hmmmmm...
Never thought of checking that. <DUH ON ME> LOL

Well... must be something else. I think I recall previous issus with templates right? Maybe I didn't upload a new file or template.
I'd better recheck.

Thanks Dave.
looking at the new user pal box that welcomes the new user. it is showing nonapproved users also.
Yes that wasn't an option with threads in the earlier versions.

In your newuserpal.php script change this query:
code:

$query = "
SELECT U_Username,U_Registered,U_Picture
FROM w3t_Users
ORDER BY U_Number DESC LIMIT 0,1
";

to this:
code:

$query = "
SELECT U_Username,U_Registered,U_Picture
FROM w3t_Users
WHERE U_Approved = 'yes'
ORDER BY U_Number DESC LIMIT 0,1
";

That should do the trick.
thanks Dave
>So Joshpet,
>
>
>Did you find out why the login from pal gives the error?
>I have the same issue with 6.0.2

What'a'ya'think...Perhaps I should just try the 6.02 loginfix first, eh?

Tim
[]>So Joshpet,
>
>
>Did you find out why the login from pal gives the error?
>I have the same issue with 6.0.2

What'a'ya'think...Perhaps I should just try the 6.02 loginfix first, eh?

Tim

Haven't had time to play. I'm going to make sure I didn't miss uploading a changed file (like a template or something) from the upgrade. Then try going through this monster thread and make sure I've got all "fixes".
When we get 6.1 here it'll be nice to update the attachments.... so the first post in the thread would have the latest version. Under the current system it's tought to tell if you've got the latest without reading all the 300 and something replies.

For now I turned my loginpal off, and let them log in like normal.

There should be a better way to manage the distribution of hacks and modifications.

Most hacks are not "final" and need to be updated. There should be a way for the Hack owner to update the distribution file.(Which is the reason I host my own.)

Especially in this case where there are many many fixes and modifcations. It should be user friendly for the Authors and the End Users.
6.1 will allow for the poster to upload new files over the old one so this should solve things.
So I don't get this thread off topic....
I've made a suggestion for keeping track of our mods with 6.1 here.
Thanks Josh.
Well..tried the 602 login fix. Fixed the error msg Still Dont switch to status box
Think I better disable this one and go ahead without it.

Tim
doubleposted ?
I'll download 6.0.3 sometime today and see what may have changed and post the fix.
Can use this with my ubb.threads 6.0 ?

I dont have the 6.0.2 version yet...and if i WAS to update to 6.0.2, would i loose anything ? like members, posts, pms ?
Man this is a long thread! This looks really good! I'm running 6.0.3 so as soon as you make whatever changes you may need to I'm definately gunna give it a try...I was wondering how I'de work my main page out
It's nice because you don't have to put the threads in a frame for a nice main page appearance...and also if you have multiple stylesheets, they'll work just as well with the main page...can't wait to get this one going!
You should be able to use it with 6.0 but I would recommend upgrading to 6.0.3 to fix some security holes.
I just installed this on 6.0.3 and when I call index.php from my browser I get 4 different SQL errors similiar to the one below.

SQL ERROR: Unable to do_query: SELECT B_Number,B_Posted,B_Last_Post,B_Username,B_Subject,B_Main,B_Replies,B_Counter,B_Board FROM w3t_Posts WHERE B_Number = B_Main AND B_Posted > '1029813026' AND B_Replies > '10' AND () ORDER BY B_Replies DESC LIMIT 0,1
You have an error in your SQL syntax near ') ORDER BY B_Replies DESC LIMIT 0,1 ' at line 7
Warning: mysql_fetch_array(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL result resource in C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\ubbthreads\mysql.inc.php on line 83

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
The and statement has no board keywords appended to it.

AND ()

Have you created any boards? Is this on a new install? Are you logged in? If not are there boards available for viewing by guests?

Hi,

I've got no pictures on my frontpage. The hottopic icon or the spotlight icon does not show. Also, all icons in the newsposting does not show up. These 2 are perhaps not related, but is there anyone who can give me a tip as where to look?

Tim
posted by voidvoid:
Well..tried the 602 login fix. Fixed the error msg Still Dont switch to status box
Think I better disable this one and go ahead without it.

Tim

Are your cookies set site wide? The status box will not appear if the page is unable to authorize the viewer. The cookie path should be set to "/" in your config.inc.php file.
Check your configpal.php script and make sure the variable below has the correct URL to the location of the pal images directory with no trailing slash added at the end.

$url2palimagesDirectory = "http://www.chattersonline.com/test/pals/palimages";

Well, done that...I stil dont have palimages on my frontpage (standard various ubbthreads images are displayed though).

See for yourself www.ateist.org. For example the hottopics icon is located at http://www.ateist.org/pals/palimages/hottopic.gif and my setting is:

$url2palimagesDirectory = "http://www.ateist.org/pals/palimages";

Any ideas?

Tim
Hi! I was wondering if there is a way to add new custom pals to this? I'm sort of just getting started with stuff and and learning as I go. I wanted to add my own menu with additional links. Thanks for any input.
Have you moved the "palimages" folder out of the .threads directory? I think I had inteneded the URL variables to be used in the index page or something like that... lol In any case the best place for the "pals" folder is inside your .threads directory. All of the folders located inside of the "pals" folder should remain in place.

You could edit menupal.php to include your additional links.
posted by JustDave:
Have you moved the "palimages" folder out of the .threads directory? I think I had inteneded the URL variables to be used in the index page or something like that... lol In any case the best place for the "pals" folder is inside your .threads directory. All of the folders located inside of the "pals" folder should remain in place.

Yep...its moved out of the threads folder. I like it tidy. But I'll give it a try

Tim
This thread is too long...
Has any one considered spliting it up or locking it?
It's got to hit 400 so Dave can hold the all time record.
posted by oceanwest:
This thread is too long...
Has any one considered spliting it up or locking it?

nah... splitting it up has never crossed my mind... lol

Will lock it when the new IIP is out so the next one can catch up. (and pass?)
Only 22 more to go... lol

Wait, make that 21... this counts. LoL
Dave I just installed IIP and it's not working...
http://www.fmforums.com/threads/index.php Nothing shows up and the browser doesn't even display anything.

Any sugguestions?

I am on 6.0.3
My browser says the page can not be displayed?

I tried just going to http://www.fmforums.com/threads/ so that the index would load but that didn't work either. I was taken to the ubbthreads.php page. I'm not sure what could be going on as I can't get to the index page...
Ok I turned off the forums, I will try and turn on a forum again to see if it will display the forum. Right now it is coming up but with out fourms...
Any reson why I should get a :

SQL ERROR: Unable to do_query: SELECT U_Username,U_Homepage FROM w3t_Users WHERE U_Homepage != '' ORDER BY U_Username ASC MAX 50
You have an error in your SQL syntax near 'MAX 50 ' at line 6

When trying to see mebersites? (You can see it here http://www.ateist.org/index.php?Cat=&paction=membersites )

(Sorry about all this fuzz, but I'm actually trying to put PAL into comission At least we're going for the 400 record )

Tim
What type of database is being used?

The "MAX 50" should probably be the limit. "LIMIT 50"

Not sure why it's putting in "MAX"

The begining of your membersitespal.php should look something like this:
code:

$query = "
SELECT COUNT(*)
FROM w3t_Users
WHERE U_Homepage != ''
";
list($totalsites) = $dbh -> fetch_array($sth);

if (!$page) {$page = 1;}
if($page == 1) {
$Totalgrab = 50;
}else{
$Startat = (($page-1) * 50);
$Totalgrab = "$Startat, 50";
}
$limitit = "LIMIT $Totalgrab";

if ($totalsites > 0) {
$query = "
SELECT U_Username,U_Homepage
FROM w3t_Users
WHERE U_Homepage != ''
ORDER BY U_Username ASC
$limitit
";
}

has this been changed at all?
JustDave,
Thanks! I had to make some of my boards viewable by guests.

Bill
Hey dave.. just to keep us interested, any update on 5.0? New features, what's left to be finished, when you expect it out, or an online beta you may have setup?
I'm about a week or two away from opening up my beta to the public. I been trying to get php installed on my computer so I can upgrade a copy of my main site's database to use for testing but so far have not had any success. I really need to switch to linux...

Every script has changed, almost completely. IIP now follows the same pattern that .threads does, with seperate language files and template based display along with a configure file that can be edited from the admin area. All pal boxes and external scripts also display their related generation times and query counts next to their title when debug mode is on and are only visible to admins. This debug mode is a seperate setting from the .threads one.

At this moment I'm working on getting a calendar finished and all related scripts working correctly. This isn't based on the calendar addon Max has been working on though. I think the only thing closely in common is that I also am using an extra field in the w3t_Boards table to signify if a board has a related calendar. All of the calendar data is stored in a table of it's own to keep the w3t_Posts table from having to carry it. Two new fields will also be needed in the w3t_Users table to store a birthday timestamp and the option of displaying it to the public. I haven't even gotten to this part for the calendar though...

There's more but I just haven't been keeping track... lol Once it is ready for prime time I'll have to get some documentation created for it and go over each box and whatnot. Heck, just that may take a month or two... LoL
Wow Dave.
You've been amazingly busy.... plus all that you do here.

IndexPal will be a MUST have for threads for sure.

Thank you!
Ok,

Now I've got my images (move the pals folder inside threads) and my member sites are shown just fine. So far so good

But I've got just 1 one problem...I cant get threads (admin panel mails) or pals (recommendus) mailing to work. I've tested the mailing capabillity on my server with this script:

<?php
print mail ('[email protected]',
'No need for reply -- PHP test!', /* subject */
"hi John\nLine 2\n"); /* body */
?>

and that works just fine.

Why wont threads or pals do the mailing
This is a new one... lol I'm not sure why it's not working.

What type of OS is this running on? Unix or Windows or perhaps a Mac? (OS X is Unix, well Linux I guess)
Damm...I'd hoped this was a simple one
Oh, I'm running on a w2k server.
Tim

I hate to say it but I'm completely lost when it comes to setting this stuff up on a windows box...
Dave, sounds awesome, I can't wait!

Soon you're going to need to start your own website and give it a cool name, have it available on hotscripts.com

Just curious about the calendar you're doing. Say we already have a fairly active calendar by max, how hard/easy will it be to import the data into yours? Probably not too easy, I understand.

Worse comes to worse I spend an hour or two just reposting all the events, but if it works with your IIP it will be all worth it!

Lastly, I can't remember what you said about custom pal boxes, if you have made that a standard feature or not or that would be something we would have to do on our own? I'm just looking to put a weather pal box on our site, just wondering if I need to do it all myself, or if the empty pal is there and you just need to insert the code, etc.

Thanks for all the hard work.
There is 6 empty pal boxes, 2 for each column, that can be used to paste html code into. PHP code could also be used as long as the template's format is followed. These empty pal boxes have a setting to be displayed to guest only (advertising perhaps) or members only or both. There is also some general "titles" in the language file for these boxes. I probably didnt think of enough but I added "Advertisment", "Sponsored by" and "Please Visit".

I would like to set up a table that could be used to store custom html for a specified box to make things easier when changing code or even allow for some sort of rotation. This isn't something that I'll be getting to soon though.

One of the things I have yet to work on is allowing for easy on/off toggling of all pal boxes. I want to make it template dependant so I will be trying to set something up for the admin to just check or uncheck a check box to turn them on or off when editing the templates.
Awesome idea for the admin management of of pal boxes!

And I see what you're saying, that's great. I do want to have an advertisement, or a "sponsor us" box with a donation button and such, so that would be a great enhancement to my site.
Posted By: voidvoid Got an answer...sort of - 08/23/2002 7:10 PM
Just for the record ...(pun intended )...here an explanation :http://community.infopop.net/2/OpenTopic?a=tpc&s=729094322&f=6183028913&m=5643046766

Thanks for your time and effort.
Tim
Posted By: JustDave Re: Got an answer...sort of - 08/23/2002 8:40 PM
Thanks

I was wondering if that was something 6.1 has addressed or not.
Login error
humm I know the login pal box fix was posted but I can't find it can someone point me to it
Lets all chant...

Just kidding dave, take your time. I just finished upgrading to 6.1beta, so I need something else to occupy my time
thanks dave

hey 4.6 sounds cool but it's only going to work with 6.0.1
[] 4.6 is ment to be used with 6.1 only though

is that right dave 6.1 or is it 6.0.1

4.6 works with 6.1, not 6.0.3-6.0.1 or earlier without modification.

5.0 will only work with 6.2 or possibley higher without modification.

Hope that clears things up.
thank you sure . yes it does .

runs off to test the 6.1 beta
With some luck I'll have 4.6 out today.

I have to add the option to track and store the "Max Online" information.

I have to add the "Shout Box" and the related files.

I have to do some work with the poll pal to use cache. (optional of course)

I think the caching ability of this release will help large sites a lot along with the "force public" option so that only publicly accessable information is displayed to everyone on the index. (this enables more pal boxes to be cached)
Cool I know of a site ready and willing
Posted By: msula Re: Integrated Index Page 4.3 addon for UBBT 6.0 - 08/26/2002 11:12 PM
As do I
Hi,

If you post a short message, that includes an (long?) url code, in a short message, the message gest truncated just before the link, without showing the "..." text or the "More (x bytes" text.

Any ideas?
Tim
Set the display for "full" so that the entire message is displayed. When a message is cut at 200 characters and it lands in the middle of a tag the cut is made at the begining or the end of the tag depending on which ever is closest to the 200 character limit.
Yep...I just wanted to know if there was way to fix it AND preserve this neat fold-out feature. But then I go with this one then

Thx
Tim
hey...it's thursday...where is it?!

very excited...you've done great work with this...

is pal 4.6 going to be faster on the servers?

thanks...jv
I finished adjusting the shoutbox late this morning.. 3am

Am going to see what documentation I'll need to add and zip everything up and upload it. It won't be long.
© UBB.Developers