Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
I didn't know if I should edit the original release or post it as a new thread or a message within this thread. So anyway, here it is. After much work, I think I got a release that can be dubbed for BETA testing.

What is it: TLD is a Yahoo style links manager specifically designed from the ground up for use with UBBThreads.

Author: Fishtails
Version: TLD - BETA v1.00
Credits: Gardener for help with loops
Threadsdev.com for inspiration
Josh Pet
Raconteur
Did I miss anyone?

This is a BETA release of the Threads Links Directory. If you are not comfortable in testing scripts then please don't fool with it.

Files Changed : I think all files were changed.
No database changes.

Change Log - http://www.fish-tails.net/dev_test/ubbthreads/links/links_change_log.txt

Demo: http://www.fish-tails.net/dev_test/ubbthreads/links.php

Instructions:

Threads Links Directory Docs.

Backup your files and database FIRST!

This is the first BETA release of TLD and is being released as a BETA test.
If you are not comfortable in testing this script then DON'T!

Designed for use with UBBThreads ver 6.2
May work with earlier versions but are not supported.

Directions:

Unzip the files and upload them to you UBBThreads installation
so that the main links.php script is in the same directory as your ubbthreads.php file.
The links folder will also be in the same tree

You should have the following structure:

ubbthreads/links.php
ubbthreads/links/the other files and folders.

You will need to add a link to your registerednav.tmpl and unregisterednav.tmpl of your UBBThreads
or where ever you want to have it. The link should point to links.php

Log in as admin and click the link to links.php. You will then be able to access the admin script from there. You will experience sql errors on the first run but this is only because the tables have not been built yet. Once you get to the admin page you will find the link at the bottom of the page to create your tables. Remember, you should always backup your files and database prior to installing these scripts.

Please provide feedback in this thread ASAP for further development.

Thanks and enjoy!
Mark Summerlin
http://www.fish-tails.net
[][email protected][/]

Attachments
69827-TLD_BETA_v100.zip (0 Bytes, 66 downloads)

Last edited by fishtails; 04/10/2003 10:58 PM.
Sponsored Links
Code Monkey
Code Monkey
good job

Kahuna
Kahuna
Way to go Mark!!!

This is Sweeeeeeeeeet!

Nikos
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
yay

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
https://www.ubbdev.com/threads/php/links.php

I've added 6 or so categories (one with 3 subcats) and they aren't showing up yet Looks good so far tho

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Sponsored Links
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
he he
Looks like a polar bear in a snowstorm. LOL

Nice work I would love to see this working but I get the same errors as Allen. What is interesting is there are no links for anyone to add anything in the first place showing up. I added a few cats in the admin section but nothing shows and no links show for users to enter anything

http://www.reeftalk.com/ubbthreads/links.php

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
aahhh... alpha

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Yes thats me thinks thats before beta

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Whoops! Try this link. https://www.ubbdev.com/threads/php/links.php?op=Links

I forgot to add that in the instructions. The script uses a switch operator, so your link to the main script needs to have ?op=Links behind links.php. ha ha! I can be stupid sometimes. Not all the time though, just some of the time. Had me going there for a minute. I was quite confused as to why you wouldn't get anything and I would.

Sponsored Links
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
ame here. http://www.reeftalk.com/ubbthreads/links.php?op=Links That's my fault, not saying anything about the ?op=Links. I submitted my link to you Omegatron, and it shows accepted, waiting for review. Unfortunately, the one I submitted to threadsdev didn't take for some reason. I need to check that.

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Hmmm. I submitted the same site, which is a valid site. On Omegatrons it accepts it, but on the threads dev it does not validate. ......

I found an "irritation"

When you submit a link you have to include a trailing slash. For example the script claims that

http://www.dalantech.com

is not a valid url but

http://www.dalantech.com/

is valid. Irritating...

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
he he... I went there and it said your link was waiting to be approved. I approved you.

Thanks

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
This is looking really good!

May I suggest.......

Code
<br />if (!$op) {<br />  $op = "links";<br />}<br />

So that by default if you go to links.php it'll show you the links if theres no switch operator.

Also... error messages and output would be nicer in a table. Maybe thats coming. I know this is Alpha....

But it look really good so far.
(I added that graemlin just for you so I could post it here.)

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
I'll leave my link for Allen or Dave to approve.

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Well I'll be dog gone! Same here. The first time I did not include a trailing slash and it would not take. But with it, it does. Now, on Omegatrons site, I didn't include a trailing slash and it took. Something weally scwewy goin on awound hew! What are y'alls system configs, if you don't mind my asking?

Redhat Linux with PHP version 4 something (not sure, could find out if you need specifics).

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Thanks Josh. I'll try that and see what happens. I'm heading out of town on Friday for a few days so I probably won't have a chance to do anything until I get back. That will give plenty of time for feedback, though so far there's a long way to go. Thanks for the special graemlin my man!

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Looking real good Mark

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Power User
Power User
This is just what I was waiting for, I hope it will develop quickly, I don't know enough from this PHP to be of any service. (I wish I could)

There is one thing dough: it will not accept email adress
with this format <[email protected]>
Is that something that can be fixed?

As soon as it out alpha I will use it at my site.

Now I make use of "phplinks" but this is much better!!!!!
this is what I use now: click here sorry, it's in Dutch......

Looking very good.

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
So , there's 7 downloads for the alpha. Has anyone found any significant problems, bugs or html etc... that needs to be addressed? I did notice one thing. The number of links in a subcategory does not discern from the approved/not approved links, so even though a link has not been approved yet for addition it will be counted. Simple change in the sql is all.

It also appears that the links_show_list.tmpl is missing a couple of <br /> in the for loop. Easy corection there as well.

So, how about it. Anyone see any security issues with it? If so, please let me know so I can fix that before I proceed with the rest of the features.

I'll be going out of town for several days and I won't be able to do any coding til I get back. Until then, everyone have a good weekend.

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Have a good weekedn.. Great work!

Also.... the number of links in a main category does not show. So if a link is just under "Computers" there's no number telling you how many. Only a count for subcats.

Journeyman
Journeyman
I am no programmer, but I am going to play with this. In fact, this is what I have been waiting for (cliche' to say that on this board I know). But it is true. I currently have my site built around "Links 2.0" a Gossamer-Threads script and Ubbthreads. For the default look my site is relativly consistent. However I want to make the entire site consistent. With IIP, Threads, and TLD I think I can make that happen.

Good Luck with the development.

Thanks,
Dale

dilionn #237084 03/01/2003 8:44 PM
Journeyman
Journeyman
I am having a little dificulty. I have loaded the files to my server. I have added the lines to my 2 .tmpl files. I logged in to ubbt then clicked the link to links.php. That is where it stops. I do not get any links to the set up that is mentioned in the documentation. What am I doing wrong?

I also added the ?op=Links statement.

I insterted an echo statement to verify it was reading me as the Administrator. It was.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Dale

dilionn #237085 03/01/2003 10:31 PM
Journeyman
Journeyman
It must have something to do with my operating environment. I just loaded it to my online website and it worked like documented. Here at home on my PHPdev server (windows xp)all I get is the threads header and footer with TLD by fishtails inserted.

I am at a loss.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Dale

dilionn #237086 03/02/2003 1:50 AM
Journeyman
Journeyman
I found it. my register_globals was set to off in the php.ini file. When I turned it on all was great.

Dale

dilionn #237087 03/02/2003 9:40 AM
Addict
Addict
Ah, ok, so it didn't get the information that was needed. That's one thing to fix, to make it read the input even if register globals is off.

I love this! Can I install this now or is it better to wait for the alpha version ? When will the alpha version be ready ?

Byeee,

Pasquale

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
The alpha version is what is available at this time. It is ONLY in TESTING stage at this point. DO NOT use it for a production site. PLEASE, PLEASE, don't use it for production yet. I only released it for testing and feedback. Also, keep in mind that alpha releases of ANY script should be considered UNSTABLE! BETA releases are considered more stable, but still not ready for production sites. Scripts of a BETA should only be used by those who are comfortable with potential bugs.

There's still much to do, and I just got back from out of town and haven't done anything in a week. I'll begin workin on the script again tommorrow. I'll will post here as the next test phase comes available. I do not currently have a time frame, as I am getting back in the groove, but I have a vacation coming up in a few weeks for a bluegrass festival so it most likely will be after that.

Again, please do not install this if you are not familiar with testing. Thanks.

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
good to see you back

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Thanks. My folks are getting up there in age so I have to make frequent trips to Pensacola to help out and do repairs. Glad to be back.

Journeyman
Journeyman
Fishtails,
I installed your script for TLD. On my home server I ran into a little trouble with my globals being turned off. I turned them on and all was well. However it brought up a concern that you can read about here. Thanks for taking the time to work on this for our community. I am studying PHP as fast as I can so I can play too.

Dale

Power User
Power User
Hi,
Installed it and it looks really cool ...

I do have some suggestions for the upcoming beta versions

- user need to be registered to submit a link and userdata is taken from the forum.
This way it will integrate much more with the forum.

- user homepage links are automatically added to the TLD to a specific category if filled in the profile.

- the voting mechanism for topics would be really cool to integrate inhere too.

- setup some kind of moderator function for approving links.

Luv the TLD ... keep up the good work !
Greetz
Boris

Kahuna
Kahuna
[]fishtails said:
The alpha version is what is available at this time. It is ONLY in TESTING stage at this point. DO NOT use it for a production site. PLEASE, PLEASE, don't use it for production yet. [/]
Hey we live dangerously Mike

Welcome back.

Nikos
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
[]boris said:
Hi,
Installed it and it looks really cool ...

I do have some suggestions for the upcoming beta versions

- user need to be registered to submit a link and userdata is taken from the forum.
This way it will integrate much more with the forum.

- user homepage links are automatically added to the TLD to a specific category if filled in the profile.

- the voting mechanism for topics would be really cool to integrate inhere too.

- setup some kind of moderator function for approving links.

Luv the TLD ... keep up the good work !
Greetz
Boris [/]

Good suggestions, some of which I had thought about. The member only submitting I was thinking of making it configurable from the admin, member only or anyone.

User home page links I had thought about as well, but at the moment the only information available from the UBBT users would be the url itself. I'm not sure how to overcome this other than maybe using the username for the Title, then there's the issue of a description of the URL page.

Ratings are one of the things that would come later as I get the other features going. At the moment, I'm trying to decide what to do with URL in a category which the admin wishes to delete. Delete all instances for that category, or assign them another category for re-approval? Don't know what I will do with this yet.

Moderator approval is another thing that I think will come later. I want to get a decent beta out with admin approval first. Thanks for the input.

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
heh heh! Mark!!! LOL I guess I'll go as Mike too.

Kahuna
Kahuna
Damn! This is the second time I do this isn't it.... Please forgive me it was the Ouzo....

BTW: I haven't forgotten you. I am waiting for my folkes to set the date when they are coming so that I can get fresh supplies

Nikos
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
isaac
isaac
California
Forum Statistics
Forums63