Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Here is the dump of the error including the Magic Quotes setting and the query:

Magic Quotes ON
Q = INSERT INTO w3t_links_links (cat_id, approved, title, url, description, date_added, name, hits, submitter, linkratingsummary, totalvotes, totalcomments) VALUES ('10', 0, 'Fluval Canister Filters', 'http://www.hagen.com/uk/aquatic/sub_category.cfm?CAT=1&SUBCAT=107', 'Excellent encapsulated filtration systems.', '1050002925', 'Raconteur', 0, '79', '0.0000', 0, 0)

PHP Warning: php_hostconnect: connect failed in /s101/home4/syngnathids/ubbthreads/links/links_submit_link.php on line 79 PHP Warning: fopen("http://www.hagen.com/uk/aquatic/sub_category.cfm?CAT=1&SUBCAT=107", "r") - Bad file descriptor in /s101/home4/syngnathids/ubbthreads/links/links_submit_link.php on line 79 FAILED

"Some dream of doing great things, while others stay awake and get on with it."
      -- Anonymous
Sponsored Links
From our host:

[]
That particular site seems to be blocking port 80 connections from our server,
I tested some other URL's and was able to get through.
[/]

-- Anonymous
Addict
Addict
I just put this up on my site (unlinked) for testing. Is there not a way to delete categories once they are added yet?

The problem with deleting things from a tree structure is what do you do with the children?

It is an easy problem if you have an empty subcategory. That can be deleted with no repurcussions. But a subcat or cat that has other items in it would need to have those items removed prior to deleting the container, or you get orphans that cannot be accessed.

This should be added to the functionality though... Mark, what do you think about adding this with a mass move option to migrate child nodes to another parent?

-- Anonymous
HMM interesting

Sponsored Links
Addict
Addict
I was just wondering since I was tinkering with it and wanted to play around with it - brainstorm about what kind of heirarchy I want to use. I'll just delete the tables from MySQL and brainstorm on paper.

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
I just deleted the file and moved it to the first post. I wasn't sure where to put it at first. Oh, and I made a few minor corrections so the new zip is now current and up to date. Thanks.

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Yes, that will be in the next update. I haven't decided how I want to go about it. I'm thinking of maybe moving all links into a que when a category is deleted as if waiting for approval. I can't imagine how often, though, that someone would want to delete a category that was full of links. Lots easier just changing the name, which is in this release. When you are talking about a mass move, are you thinking of generating a list with select boxes and then a drop down of cat to move them to?

I also need to work on paginating, with the user selecting the number of links to display, say a choice between 10, 20 or as high as 50. Any ideas on how to do this, otherwise I'll pull out the old php how to book.

A couple of other things I want to add is a 'My Favorite Links' for registered members. Of course the ratings and and other features like maybe a review or recomended links by the staff, etc. One thing at a time. I need to figure out why that link won't work on your server. php.net, here I come.

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Found this on php.net. What version of php do you have?

[] Note that some versions of PHP (4.0.3?) appear to have some fopen(URL...) bugs. The fopen will fail occasionally even though the URL is valid and there are sufficient resources on the box to open the URL.

This can likely be fixed by either an upgrade to a newer version or an automatic retry loop in your code. [/]

Sounds good, Mark. Did you see my reply from our host?? They think that the server I am trying to contact is blocking port 80 requests from their servers... so it may not be a PHP issue at all.

We are using PHP ver. 4.2.3.

-- Anonymous
Sponsored Links
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Yeah, I saw that, but the way fopen works, it automatically tries it at port 80, and if it blocked it from your host, why wouldn't it block it from mine? That would be on their end I would think, and not on ours. On another note, did you try it with just the home page domain name instead of the full url?

Last edited by fishtails; 04/11/2003 11:16 AM.
I am assuming they can block ports for various referrers... not sure if that is possible but seems it.

I tried the base URL too, and it won't work either.

-- Anonymous
Hi all

Has anyone had problems with submitting a link with a filename that has spaces in it.......

eg.... file name here.html

I can't get it to accept this and receive this error

www.thefileaddress/file name here.html is not a valid url or is temporarily unavailable. Please check the url by clicking on the link and try again.

Works ok if when I rename the file and I take the spaces out.

Thanks

Thanks

Liahona
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
https://www.ubbdev.com/forum/links.php

From the admin menu, you might wanna include a 'links home' link to the public links.php file

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Can a URL have spaces in it?

Hi Josh

Sure I do it all the time ...see here one I made with all spaces..

http://www.hillcrestknitwear.com/spaces here too/I have spaces in my address.html

works for me anyway no underscore needed, the browser should put %20 in place of the spaces for you.

Thanks

Liahona
Yes George right? Most browsers will do that %20 however I think most coded programs are not set to recognize the spaces by default. I do not know of anyone personally who uses spaces in file names without an underscore or something. This is where you run into alot of error's on the web when browsing and such.

Hi Chuck

OK, so it's probably best if something was writen on the submit page about spaces, maybe after "Submit Link to this category"

Thanks

Thanks

Liahona
Yes I am sure Mark could do that. It would need to add %20 whereever a space was.

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Hi Allen.

There is a link from the admin section back to the links home. I followed the link you provided and it looks as though you still have the alpha installed there. Notably, a first clue to me was the number of links in the main cats is not displaying. I added this to the latest release and even though you may not have a link in the main cat, it will still count a 0 and display it next to the cat name, just like the sub cats do.

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
As Omegatron was saying, spaces are replaced by %20 individually by the browsers themselves. This is inherent in Windows, as nix does not recognize spaces (to my knowledge) in a files name. Usually this happens when a page is created using MS Front Page and links are inserted thru the FP wizard. FP also defaults to the file extension of .htm instead of .html . This can be changed in FP settings BTW, if you want to change it, otherwise it doesn't matter.

But, back to the spaces. I'll have to do a preg, I think, to solve this little bug.

Kahuna
Kahuna
Here is an interesting thing that I found (although I might be dumb here).

I clicked on Allen's post to submit a link on the TLD.
I entered my site and I got this:

http://ffff.niden.net is not a valid url or is temporarily unavailable. Please check the url by clicking on the link and try again.

I haven't seen the code if it tries to check if it gets a 200 reply from the submitted site but I can assure you it is up and running.

Nikos
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Nikos, this has to do with something on their server that's doing it. If you add a trailing slash to the url, it will accept. On my site you don't need a trailing slash. I found a note over at php.net saying that some versions of php (4.03) has some sort of bug where it causes this problem. Since I'm using the latest version of php, I don't see the error. I believe I can fix this, but I won't be able to test it on my server, since I don't have the problem. The best fix would be to upgrade php. But I'll include the fix in the next version, so long as I can get someone who is seeing this problem to test it for me to make sure it works.

Kahuna
Kahuna
Mark,

What happens in your site if you are adding the trailing slash (where you don't need it)? Will that add it successfully? If yes then why not alter the code to add it either way if it is not present so that you ensure backwards compatibility?

Just a thought

Nikos
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Yes, it adds it wether there is a trailing slash or not. This is what I mean where I'll need to add something to make sure it has a trailing slash or not. Where I am having trouble is in the regex. How to determine if the url submitted has an actual file name or is it a domain name/folder. We only want to add the trailing slash to those that are not the actual file. With so many possible file extensions (.cfm, .mp3, .htm, .html, etc..etc..) I can't come up with an expression to get all of them. Any ideas? Need a regex guru here.

Spaces are evil to most computer languages... as most parsers use white space to distinguish between tokens... best to use either typical variable notation (YourFileNameHere - case of the first letter depends on style and language) or underscores (your_file_name_here) to keep safe.

-- Anonymous
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
HMMM.. I uploaded all the files from the zip attached to the first post. Was there some upgrade step I needed to do? Do I need to drop the database and start over? I didn't make any changes there from the first install

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
All you should have to do Allen is upload the new files. No database changes or anything.

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Make sure all files were overwritten. In the latest release there is a new folder for images. It wasn't there in the first one. Also, each script file is dated April 8th at the top of the file. I just checked the url again, and I'm sure that it's the original ALPHA version you have up there. There were no database changes at all so that won't make any difference.

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Chuck, I just went to your installation of TLD. You've got the right files, but soon after I posted the release, I noticed a couple of cosmetic issues and re-uploaded an updated version. Notably, when you go to the links page, there is a link in the main menu that says "Links-Meister: Bucaru". I took that out because it was a change that Reconteur had done for his install and I overlooked it when applying some of his changes.

Also, I don't know if you are aware of this, but when I try to surf your site, no matter if it's the home page or the Main Index, I keep getting the following error:

Problems with this web page might prevent it from being displayed properly or functioning properly.

Line: 20
Char: 1
Error: Object Expected
Code: 0
URL: http://www.reeftalk.com/ubbthreads/postlist.php?Cat=&Board=News

The URL changes on each link I go to. I'm using IE 5 on the particular machine I'm talking about. Probably an IE5 thing but thought you might want to know in case it was something else.

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
ok, thanks I re-upped them again and forced it to copy over newer files, looks to be updated now,

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Yep do not get any error's on IE 6 and Mozilla as well as Netscape. I would think it is an IE 5.5 thing.

Hi all

My links do not show on the main links page like the one here at threads. https://www.ubbdev.com/forum/links.php

My links page only shows the categories and only when I click the category I see the links.

Am I missing something????

Thanks

Thanks

Liahona
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Have you approved them?

Click on Links Admin and see if there are any waiting links.

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Now it looks familiar. Let me know how things look and are functioning.

Hi

Edited....

Sorry guys, my fault .. getting tired, They are sub categories not links.

Sorry Josh

Thanks

Last edited by Liahona; 04/16/2003 6:22 PM.

Thanks

Liahona
Hi again

I cannot rename or delete a main category.

Sub Category I can rename though.

I need to DELET a category, but how??

As far as I can see I can only Edit a category so if I do that and delete the name (or rename) the category then click submit it says it has updated the category but nothing happens.

Thanks

Thanks

Liahona
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Umm, it seems you found a slight bug. I just checked on my test site and sure enough, you can't change the main category. Something I overlooked. You can edit the subcats though, but just deleting the name will not delete the category. I'll post the fix for updating the top category name on my next break. As far as deleting a cat, next release will have that.

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Bug fix: Open the file links_admin.php with any text editor. On or about line # 110 find this:

Code
 print "<hr><a href=\"links_admin.php?op=edit_cat&amp;=cat_id=$row[cat_id]&amp;title=$row[title]\">Edit</a>&nbsp;<b>$row[title]</b>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 

Replace it with this:

Code
 print "<hr><a href=\"links_admin.php?op=edit_cat&amp;cat_id=$row[cat_id]&amp;title=$row[title]\">Edit</a>&nbsp;<b>$row[title]</b>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 

Basically you're taking out a = sign that shouldn't be there. Thanks for alerting me on this. As far as deleting a cat, if you really need to delete it and there are no links in that category, you can use phpmyadmin to delete the category. If you have links in it and want to keep them, you'll need to edit the links from the admin to change their category, then delete the cat via phpmyadmin. Otherwise, you'll leave orphan links in the database.

Hi all

Yes, both fixes worked fine.

How about some icons as headings for categories.

Thanks

Thanks

Liahona
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
Forum Statistics
Forums63
Topics37,573
Posts293,925
Members13,849