Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Hacker
Hacker
Maybe this is already voered, but there are too manyposts to read:

1) The output after you submit a link is not in a table, therefore doesnt show up on my dark background
1b) Same with the invalid url submitted error.
2) The user is already authenticated, but asks for a Name and Email address; these are already available, why ask again?
3) The profile link doesnt work as it puts the name in the place of there the usernumber should be
4) When you submit a link there should be a "return to main index" page.

Looks like a great start!

Sponsored Links
Mark, most of EBs issues here I have already done in the stuff I sent you... Especially the use of username and userID instead of making them add it and their email. If you look on our site www.syngnathid.org/ubbthreads/links.php you can see how anyone who submits a link is attached to it via their profile.

Also the output of the success screen and failure screen I thought I had put in tables... Have to check.

Do you want this stuff again?

"Some dream of doing great things, while others stay awake and get on with it."
      -- Anonymous
Hi

1. Users see the link "Links Admin" on main links page if you are a nornal user, but they cant do anything so can it be taken off that page for them.

2. And maybe an explanation what to do to add a link.

Thanks

Thanks

Liahona
Are you sure you have the latest version?? I fixed that in what I sent Mark... maybe it didn't get integrated?

-- Anonymous
Hacker
Hacker
I dont think Mark has uploaded anything new.....

Sponsored Links
Hi

I'm using Download 69827 - php files dated April 4th

Thanks

Liahona
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
[]extremebikini said:
Maybe this is already voered, but there are too manyposts to read:

1) The output after you submit a link is not in a table, therefore doesnt show up on my dark background
1b) Same with the invalid url submitted error.
2) The user is already authenticated, but asks for a Name and Email address; these are already available, why ask again?
3) The profile link doesnt work as it puts the name in the place of there the usernumber should be
4) When you submit a link there should be a "return to main index" page.

Looks like a great start! [/]

1 and 1b. Next release.
2. Working on this. As it stands, the changes Reconteursent did have it authenticated and correct, however, there was nothing set for an anonymous user to submit a link, should the admin desire to allow anonymous submissions. This will be added in the next release which I hope to get by this weekend.
3. See number two.
4. Didn't think of it. Will add it.

I realize that many may think I'm moving kind of slow on this, but understand this is my very first script writing from the ground up. Everything else I've done have been hacks. What I'm trying to do first is get a code base done that is stable and ready for production site with minimal features (those which are there) and any major bugs eliminated. I'm hoping that after this weekends beta release, if everything goes A-OK, we can consider it stable, but again not until the few annoying things are worked out. Once I have a stable script, then I want to start adding all of the other bells and whistles. You're correct, though, this thread is getting quite long, so I'm wondering if maybe a new post for TLD feature requests and one for TLD bug reports would be in order. What do y'all think?

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
No, I still have the files you sent me. The reason I didn't add this is due to admins that may want to allow anonymous users to submit links. The output you did have in tables, but I don't beleave any css were applied to them. I'll have to check.

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
The last upload was 04/10/03 11:58 PM . The file is in the very first post as edited.

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Liahona, I got your PM. I don't quite understand what you mean though. Could you clarify for me?

Sponsored Links
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Once it gets to a beta status, you might want to begin a new thread and close this one with a pointer to the new one That would ease some congestion

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Hey Mark,

I don't think there is any CSS refs in the tables, but that shouldn't matter... the tables will just come out clear.

Had thought about the anonymous users adding links, and what I was thinking is just making a checkbox or something that says "REGISTERED USER" or something to that effect. If the user checks that then it applies their ID and username. However, I think I am using your fields slightly differently... I use name for the registered username and submitter for the registered user id.

Again, let me know if I can help!

-- Anonymous
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Fishtails... you are doing great here. You should be proud.

Yeah, take your time, get the code stable and then run with it.

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
I agree with Josh... we understand time constraints...

Are you done yet?

NO!

Are you done yet?

NO!

Are you done yet?

NO!

Are you done yet?

NO!

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Hi Mark

Ok, Instead of having text/link for the MAIN category can you have an image instead or if not then can we have something that allows the admin to make it a NONE LINK text just like a heading in the forms.

Heading 1 Heading 2 Heading 3 ALL none clickable

or

IMAGE 1 IMAGE 1 IMAGE 3 ALL none clickable
Heading 1 Heading 2 Heading 3 ALL none clickable

With the heading below the image.....

Maybe a checkbox to allow the heading to have links in the main body of that category or force them to put their links into a SUB-category.

(PhotoPost allows you to say whether the heading has or does not have photos in it.)

Just another add on for later, no big deal.

Thanks

Thanks

Liahona
Hi

Just another idea....

The main categories............

1. are 4 across can I make this 3 as it is rather cramped when the side bar is on.

2. can there be a line or something down in between the 4 main categories to separate them.

Thanks

Thanks

Liahona
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Are you done yet?

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
LOL!! You guys are cracking me up! Soon, baby soon. Josh, in links.php you can configure the number of columns to however many you want. 1 to unlimited. It's near the top where the actual code begins. I can't remember off hand what the var is, and I'm at work right now. I'm sure you can find it though.

Journeyman
Journeyman
Mark,
I just wanted you to know that I am following this along, and I appreciate it. Once it is stable I am hopeing to switch over to TLD. I use LINKS by gossamer-threads currently, but I want to make a threads driven website.

Thanks again to you and the other script builders out there.

Dale

Hi

Just another little one for the list to do.

Can the admin be notified when a link is pending approval?

Thanks

Thanks

Liahona
Good one George

Addict
Addict
Some notes, I don't know if they've been brought up. I have TLD up unlinked on my site.

http://www.drumlines.org/threads/links.php

When you submit a link, then click on "add another link", it just takes you back to links.php. Maybe there should be two options here? One could be "Add another link to this category" which would take you back to the link submission form, and the other could be "Return to links home".

I have added another column to w3t_links called "order". I edited the PHP and tmpl files so that the categories are ordered according to the number in the "order" column. I did this since alphabetically wasn't working since my High School and College categories have so many sub-cats. I wanted to put them side-by-side so that the page would not be twice as long as it is now.

I'm looking forward to the script picking up that a user is logged in and adds his/her information to the link. Personally, I would want only logged in members to be able to submit links. This would keep things more uniform and add yet another reason to sign-up.

If you look at my "Drum Corps" category, you will see that the sub-cat "DCI" has 2 links. However, the category "Drum Corps" says it has zero total. Shouldn't this number reflect the total of links in "DCI" and "DCA"?

And what the heck is up with the link-meister??? I took this out since it didn't make any sense to me. Hope it doesn't offend anyone.

I like it when, just below the site's description, the actual URL appears in small text. Can this be added?

A "NEW" function would be GREAT! It could show users what, if any, links are new since they've last logged in, akin to new posts in the forum. They could also have an option for the links to "mark all read".

Can a small text date/time stamp be added to the link for when it was submitted (not approved)?

Maybe there could be an extra link by each link that could say something like, "Comment on this site". It could take them to a forum that would be hidden from being shown in postlist, like the shout box, and they could enter their comments, if any, about the site that's linked.

If you made it this far into my post, you must have as much of a life as I do!

So anyways, just some stuff I had on my mind. If some of it has already been discussed, send me to my room without dinner. I'll understand.

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
You're welcome. Glad you like it.

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Good suggestion. On my to do.

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Hello, 'Other' Josh! I would be interested in seeing your files for the order of listing cats. It's something on my to do list, but since you've already done it perhaps I can use some of the code. Don't forget you can change the number of columns displayed as well. The variable is at the top of links.php.

Yes, member/anon will be configurable, eventually from the admin.

Linkmeister? You obviously were one of the 5 that got hold of the beta script before I could upload the correction for that. That's something Reconteur did for his site.

The totals in the cats are for the number of links directly in that cat, but I've been thiking of changing this. Here's my thought. When the main cat is clicked it gives you a list of sub cats within that category of course, right? So, I'm thinking of setting up either a featured link list in the main category, which of course features links recomended by the admin, or perhaps is top rated (yes, ratings are in the future), or possibly the latest (new) links. The total of links next to the main cat would be total of links in the subcats. How does that sound. The more I think of it, I was planning on adding a 'New' category, so the idea of making the main cats for featured/popular links seems more appropriate. Essentially, if an admin wanted to, they could charge a fee for sites being featured near the top. Comments and ratings I think I've mentioned before. Date and time as well.

One step at a time.

Hears another to do...

Can you make it that when the admin submits a site that it does not need to be approved.

Thanks

Thanks

Liahona
Addict
Addict
Glad to see I could get the gears turning even more than they are. The code I altered was actually not a great feat. Heck, I'm more familiar with Spanish than I am with PHP (and I couldn't make it a day in Spain)

In links/links_show_cat.php I changed:

[]
$query = "
SELECT *
FROM {$config['tbprefix']}links_categories
WHERE parent_id = '$parent_id'
ORDER BY 'title'
";
[/]

to:

[]
$query = "
SELECT *
WHERE parent_id = '$parent_id'
ORDER BY 'Order'
";
[/]

And in links/templates/links_show_cat.tmpl I changed:

[]
$query = "
SELECT *
WHERE parent_id = '$id'
ORDER BY 'title'
";
[/]

to:

[]
$query = "
SELECT *
WHERE parent_id = '$id'
ORDER BY 'Order'
";
[/]

Why is the code in both files anyway?

I love all of your brainstorms about the categories. Fly with it!

Last edited by AKD96; 04/18/2003 4:02 PM.
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Are you done yet?

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
LOL No. I had to put this on the backburner until this next weekend. I'm in the middle of upgrading my fish-tails site to the latest and greatest threads and photopost.

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
hmmm... threads 6.3 might be out by then

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Hi all

More thoughts.........to do

I am putting in a lot of links on my site right now but it is getting tiresome having to put my own name and email each time I add a link.

Also having to approve something I put in myself especialy one at time.

Any ideas how to do this easier/quicker.

Also having to go back to the beginning to add a link to the same cat as well.

Thanks

Liahona
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
[]Liahona said:
Hi all

More thoughts.........to do

I am putting in a lot of links on my site right now but it is getting tiresome having to put my own name and email each time I add a link.

Also having to approve something I put in myself especialy one at time.

Any ideas how to do this easier/quicker.

Also having to go back to the beginning to add a link to the same cat as well.
[/]

I'll add this in the next release. Not long now.

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
cool

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
I have to say that this is very cool, fishtails has done a great job...

"IF" users are logged in there User, Email would be already added to the submit form.

I added the value {$user['U_Username']} to the user field and {$user['U_Email']} to the template links_submit_form.tmpl,
then I added $user = $userob -> authenticate("U_Email"); to links_submit_form.php, and this seems to work just fine.

Now my question is,
Would this be a correct way to get the user info in the fields.

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Hmmm.. bumping for one of ther devs, I'm not sure

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Hacker
Hacker
http://www.viperalley.com/ubbthreads.php?Cat=

I added a Random Link PAL to my front page (if anyone is interested). Pretty simple actually, just:

SELECT title,url,description FROM w3t_links_links ORDER BY RAND() LIMIT 1

And fill in the blanks.

Nice one EB!!!

-- Anonymous
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Sorry guys & gals. Something unexpected came up and I had to drop everything I was doing. Just thought I would pop in and see what was going on and if there were any more suggestions before I got back to work. Nice random link idea EB.

Now, back to work.

Oh, BTW, Happy Mothers Day to all you mothers out there.

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Good to see you Mark

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Thanks Allen, oh and yeah, happy birthday!

I thought I would update on where I am at on TLD.

I've just completed the email notification - admin receives an email when a link has been submitted. The admin can optionally turn this off if they so desire.

If the admin submits a link, it is automatically approved and entered into the database without further action.

Users have been implemented, configurable as well. You can now dis-allow nonmembers the ability to submit links. Each link will have a link to the submitters profile. If you allow anonymous link submits, then the script will determine wether they are a member or not and provide either a link to their profile or a mailto link to email the nonmember.

Anyway, that's where I am at. All of the above have been tested and proved flawless, but you can help me test it by going to the test site and trying it out, logged out and logged in. Thanks.

The next steps will be to:

add Popular Links, or Hot Links if you want to call them that (admin can determine how many hits a link must have before being considered popular)

Ratings will be next. I figure a drop down box next to the link (convenient), or should it be a different page?

These shouldn't be too difficult, I think, but I won't give a release date until I get them coded.

Again, suggestions, or have I forgotten anything, Please let me know.

Later.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
JAISP
JAISP
PA
Forum Statistics
Forums63