Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rating: 5
Page 5 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 10 11
Coder
Coder
Just a note... I downloaded what I think is the latest copy of this (looks much like what is here at threadsdev), and found that if I allowed anonymous users to submit links, the form was a little out of whack... (the e-mail input box wrapped to the next line...)

To fix this, open links_submit_form.php and change line #63 to this:
Code
$submitter_email = "<b>{$ubbt_lang['LINKS_SUBMIT_EMAIL']}</b></td><td><input type=\"text\" name=\"email\" value=\"\" class=\"formboxes\" />";

instead of
Code
$submitter_email = "<b>{$ubbt_lang['LINKS_SUBMIT_EMAIL']}</b><br /><input type=\"text\" name=\"email\" value=\"\" class=\"formboxes\" />";

That seemed to fix it for me.

Thanks for all the updates on this!!

--------------------
Matt Reinfeldt
http://www.mattreinfeldt.com/
Sponsored Links
I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
Original zip from first post updated with the latest code from this thread. Please let me know if I missed anything

Thankyou to everyone who's contributed their time and knowledge to this great piece of work

I fixed a few more xhtml errors, there's still a few left

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Code Monkey
Code Monkey
Just to make sure, becuase I want to upgrade this also: It's Fishtails original .zip that you updated? Thanks!

is the subcatagory sort fixed on the add a link drop down form?

I just downloaded the zip from the first post and still got the following SQL error during install:

SQL ERROR: Unable to do_query: CREATE TABLE w3t_links_categories ( cat_id int(11) NOT NULL auto_increment, parent_id int(11) default NULL, title varchar(50) NOT NULL default '', cat_desc varchar(60) default NULL '', cat_order tinyint(10) NOT NULL default '0', PRIMARY KEY (cat_id) )
You have an error in your SQL syntax near ''', cat_order tinyint(10) NOT NULL default '0', ' at line 8Database tables have been created. You can now add categories and links.

I found the solution in the thread but it must have escaped inclusion into the updated zip.

Bill

Last edited by bjsjr; 01/04/2004 8:53 PM.
Sponsored Links
Hi,

This hack could be a nice way to make some additional ad revenue. What I was thinking about was to allow sites / companies that you link to to upgrade their link, for a fee or free (up to you I suppose).

This upgrading could be a different style to the link (i.e. larger font / bolder / italics) or even a small banner displayed next to or below the link.

It would be even better if we could add different levels of priority to the links (each with a different style associated to them) and then sort the list on links by priority first before alphabetically.

How much work would it be to add these features?

Sanuk!

I noticed here at Threadsdev when you check the 'Who's Online' scrren it will show that someone is viewing the links database. The version of TLD I just installed just shows 'Private' when someone uses the db.

Is there some code I have to add to get the Who's Online screen to display members using TLD?

Thanks,
Bill

[]bjsjr said:
I noticed here at Threadsdev when you check the 'Who's Online' scrren it will show that someone is viewing the links database. The version of TLD I just installed just shows 'Private' when someone uses the db.

Is there some code I have to add to get the Who's Online screen to display members using TLD?

Thanks,
Bill [/]
Bill,

Add the bellow code to your /ubbthreads/language/english/online.php file.

Code
$ubbt_lang['links']  =  "Links Page";

Thanks a lot! I knew it had to be something simple

Bill

I wonder if anyone can help. I just uploaded the links directory to /ubbthreads/links and when I try to go to /ubbthreads/links/links.php, I get the following error message:

===========

Warning: main(main.inc.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/flighta/public_html/ubbthreads/links/links.php on line 52

Fatal error: main(): Failed opening required 'main.inc.php' (include_path='.:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/flighta/public_html/ubbthreads/links/links.php on line 52

===========

Line 52 is:

$html = new html;

===========

Can anyone tell at a quick glance what I might have done wrong?

Thanks,

Jason

Sponsored Links
[]Sky YYZ said:
I wonder if anyone can help. I just uploaded the links directory to /ubbthreads/links and when I try to go to /ubbthreads/links/links.php, I get the following error message:

===========

Warning: main(main.inc.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/flighta/public_html/ubbthreads/links/links.php on line 52

Fatal error: main(): Failed opening required 'main.inc.php' (include_path='.:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/flighta/public_html/ubbthreads/links/links.php on line 52

===========

Line 52 is:

$html = new html;

===========

Can anyone tell at a quick glance what I might have done wrong?

Thanks,

Jason [/]
If I recall correctly, you need to put the files in the ubbthreads directory with the current changes or redirect them to the /links folder.

Last edited by BWilliams; 01/08/2004 1:45 PM.
Yep the files no longer go in their own directory. They follow the threads directory structure now.

Coder
Coder
looks like im going to have to give this one another try...

Hi guys,

Okay I installed it in the /ubbthreads directory. I clicked on "links administration" and this is what followed:

=======================

If you have NOT already created your database tables and this is your first install, you can do so by clicking here. :: So I did.

=======================

Next I got this:

=======================

SQL ERROR: Thu, Jan 08 2004 15:55:28 -0500 Unable to do_query: CREATE TABLE w3t_links_categories ( cat_id int(11) NOT NULL auto_increment, parent_id int(11) default NULL, title varchar(50) NOT NULL default '', cat_desc varchar(60) default NULL '', cat_order tinyint(10) NOT NULL default '0', PRIMARY KEY (cat_id) )
You have an error in your SQL syntax. Check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near ''', cat_order tinyint(10) NOT NULL defaSQL ERROR: Thu, Jan 08 2004 15:55:28 -0500 Unable to do_query: CREATE TABLE w3t_links_links ( lid int(11) NOT NULL auto_increment, cat_id int(11) default NULL, approved tinyint(4) NOT NULL default '1', title varchar(100) NOT NULL default '', url varchar(100) NOT NULL default '', description text NOT NULL, date_added int(11) unsigned NOT NULL default '0', name varchar(100) NOT NULL default '', email varchar(100) NOT NULL default '', hits int(11) NOT NULL default '0', user_number int( 11 ) NOT NULL default '', member char(2) NOT NULL default '', linkratingsummary double(6,4) NOT NULL default '0.0000', totalvotes int(11) NOT NULL default '0', PRIMARY KEY (lid) )
Table 'w3t_links_links' already existsSQL ERROR: Thu, Jan 08 2004 15:55:28 -0500 Unable to do_query: CREATE TABLE w3t_links_favorites ( num int(9) unsigned NOT NULL auto_increment, lid int(9) unsigned NOT NULL default '0', uid int(9) unsigned NOT NULL default '0', PRIMARY KEY (num), KEY FAV_indx1 (uid) )
Table 'w3t_links_favorites' already existsDatabase tables have been created. You can now add categories and links.

========================

and when I clicked on "Links Home" in the navigation bar I got this:

========================

SQL ERROR: Thu, Jan 08 2004 15:57:24 -0500 Unable to do_query: SELECT * FROM w3t_links_categories WHERE parent_id = '0' ORDER BY 'cat_order'
Table 'flighta_thread.w3t_links_categories' doesn't exist
Warning: mysql_num_rows(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL result resource in /home/flighta/public_html/ubbthreads/links_show_cat.php on line 66

=======================

It looks like the w3t_ table(s) didn't create automatically? Don't suppose there are any more ideas? Sorry, I wish it had gone smoothly.

Thanks,

Jason

Looks like I need to find where the create table code is, more specifically "w3t_links_categories" and change it to:

CREATE TABLE w3t_links_categories
(
cat_id int(11) NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT PRIMARY KEY,
parent_id int(11) DEFAULT NULL,
title varchar(50) NOT NULL DEFAULT '',
cat_desc varchar(60) DEFAULT NULL,
cat_order tinyint(10) NOT NULL DEFAULT '0'
)

....looking for it now.

That was it! Found it in links_admin.php and replaced the code starting on line 488.

Off to work I go...

Thanks!

Old Hand
Old Hand
hmm quick.. someone call the net.. hes talking AND answering himself...

haha... yeah, actually I get bugged about that at work all the time! There's one person worse than me though!

Well I figure this way if anyone else has the same problem they will see how to correct it... hence the talking to myself bit.

There are a couple of different troubleshooting techniques to try deep within this thread... but this is the one that works for me. Maybe the code could be updated in the original d/l by the powers-that-be. Or not, either way... this is a great mod. Thanks!

Well here's something maybe someone else can help me with...

I noticed it won't validate links from within your own domain. Is there a trick to get it to do that?

Thanks!

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
how do you mean? GOt an example?

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
I finally got arround to looking at the html updates as well as some of the code changes. I've uploaded it to the test site. Very nice work. Thanks for the contributions. I am almost able to start working on the script again to get the desired features in.

One question though. When I first began the project I wanted to keep all the files in a seperate folder with links.php being the only file directly within the ubbthreads folder and all other files in a seperate links folder. I felt this was better so as to facilitate upgrades and such. It's apparent that is not the case. What advantage is there by mixing them up with the ubbthreads files? I'm sure there is one, but at the moment I can't see the trees for the forest.

I guess the main advantage is making them follow the threads hierachy and file structure templates languages etc etc.

coffee and code
coffee and code
From...
https://www.ubbdev.com/forum/showflat...vc/1#Post101199
and explaned right below it

"The Links files are now completely inside the UBBT tree and fit correctly with all of the UBBT Tree formatting (the PHP security errors that 'ksanuk' has listed, should now be corrected because of this new file location structure)"

Current developer of UBB.threads PHP Forum Software
Current Release: UBBT 7.7.5 // Preview: UBBT 8.0.0
isaac @ id242.com // my forum @ CelicaHobby.com
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Um, I noticed my link was removed. What was it, bad html?

I doubt it would have been bad html. I think if I remember you had it in a paragraph tag outside of all the tables centered. I would think whomever removed it should not have done so without asking you.

Since it is not a copyrighted program anyone using the hack has the right to remove the link from display and most probally would as a sidenote.

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
I was kidding about the bad html. Very well. I didn't realize it would be too much to ask for the link to be retained. I'll keep that in mind from now on.

I think your copyright should have been retained in the distribution here. I was just pointing out that individuals user's who download the mod might remove it since unlike copywrited products like Threads they can remove the link with no adverse repercussions like normal software. I personally think the link to your site is the least they could do for writing the mod. Obviously everyone has an opinion though so maybe the possibility of a config option of whether to display the copyright or not would do the trick. Obviously the person who did the bulk of work on rewriting things while you were gone did not like the copyright and removed it.

Here is an example

What I mean is allow users to choose:

Up top of links.php on the config variables add:

$copyright = 'yes';

Down bottom of the links_footer.tmpl you can add this:

if ($copyright == 'yes') {
print "<p align="center"><font size="1">TLD Bv1.5 by <a href="http://www.fish-tails.net">Fishtails</a></font></p>";
}

I found your original files and grabbed the copyright text. I have attached your mod with the copyright on their in a config variable naturally turned on to the first post so people download the latest with copyright info.

Also since I had a few minutes Allen said he went through and got alot of validation errors. I got all the ones on the main links pages show_links and show_cats so they now validate for you.
Attachments
104718-Links15.ZIP (0 Bytes, 62 downloads)

I type Like navaho
I type Like navaho
normally I would leave a copyright in for a mod someone did a lot of work on... not sure why it was removed, I think I questioned it in here somewhere

- Allen wavey
- What Drives You?
[]AllenAyres said:
how do you mean? GOt an example? [/]

Sure, for instance:

When I try to add: http://www.flightattendants.org/photopost/index.php, the program says it's an invalid link, yet when I click on the link it provides to verify, it goes right to that page on my site. Strange.

fishtails, if the code is updated soon I will be happy to download the new version which includes a copyright notice on your work. I was sorta surprised that there wasn't one to begin with but I figured whoever wrote it didn't include it. If I may, I'd like to speak freely here regarding copyright notices. A site with loads of mods can be crowded with copyright this and copyright that and quite frankly, it starts to look untidy. Last fall I decided to ask my Members for an (optional) one-time $10 CDN donation to help improve the site - completely optional - and of the 3300+ Members, almost 90 have come through with anywhere from $5 to $10. It payed for a whole year of hosting, a couple of programs, and several upgrades to my site, making it a better place for all to visit. Those who made a donation are identified in their posts by a special Member status, similar to Josh's UBB Beta Tester .gif, as a gesture of thanks. Along the same lines, you could permit the removal of your copyright notice. That goes for anyone who spent a lot of time working on a popular mod.

I wonder if you would heed Omegatron's advice and make your copyright notice an optional display in your next release? Those who do not wish to have yet another copyright notice could pay you a fee... say $10? You could provide an easy paypal link somewhere in your download or simply your paypal e-mail address. It would be hard to enforce it but it might help cover some of your expenses if enough donations came in. Something affordable enough that almost everyone would have an opportunity to participate. I would certainly be in line to pay you a gesture of thanks. Your program is very similar to HotLinks SQL which is a $65 program. I owuld consider yours similar to an "Hotlinks SQL Lite" if it existed.

Again, nothing personal, it's just that too many copyrights all over your site and it starts to look untidy, IMHO. Food for thought... and why not, you worked hard to provide this code I'm sure. Josh charges for his search engine optimisation code, and excellent mod I might add, and although financially it's probably out of reach for quite a few people, I see nothing wrong with asking for a small fee in order to remove your copyright notice, if that's something you want to consider. You obviously enjoy writing code in your spare time, there's no shame in asking for some sort of financial thanks for those of us who would prefer one less copyright notice on our site if possible.

Another example is that I'd love to have the full-version integrated Sigma Chat with auto-authentication, but the jump from zero to $100 USD per year ($135 CDN) is too much for my pocket book and I don't get enough member donations to cover that, otherwise I'd love to pay that person some money. See where I'm coming from? If it's affordable the masses have the option to participate. Not that I think Josh's code or Sigma Chat's code isn't worth every dime... it's a matter of affordability. If you can consider taking less than it's worth, maybe more will contribute and volume will give you a little more incentive to keep pluggin forward with great code. Hope I'm not tarred and feathered for my suggestion

IMHO,

Jason

Sky there was a copyright notice to begin with that is my fishtails asked since he had been absent for awhile and mutliple people updated the mod. The problem was somewhere not meantioning names the copyright link was removed. Mods are not copyrighted programs and can be changed. However in good conscience most of us leave any copyrights alone. The remark I made was that while everyone has a legal right to remove any copyright text on mods as they are not patented like other programs it may not morally right to do so in good conscience. The suggestion to make it a configurable option is simply a remark made since I spent too much time on the Photopost website. Michael can tell you those guys want everything to be an option to enable or disable.

At any rate my last post has some XHTML corrections and Fishtails copyright placed back in the mod. It is set to display but you can disable it in the links.php in the configuration settings.

I though have enabled it set to yes on my site as it is only right after all his hard work on this mod that I at least provide a nice link to his site for Google to play with

Old Hand
Old Hand
google doesn't play that much anymore.. ever since the Florida incident.. but Josh sure is getting slurped alot he must have paid that 79$ to list your URL

Naw, I just needed examples to support my suggestion. I think by slurped you mean complimented, and yes, I was trying to be careful with my words so as not to insult anyone. By the way, what was the Florida incident? I'm a newbie to UBB.threads... was a .classic user for a couple of years before I hopped the fence. Also, where can I find that serverinfo.php you use? Is it available for d/l anywhere... it's pretty neat and I wouldn't mind verifying my hosts claim that they use P4 3.06GHz processors.

Omegatron, I'll download your update this week when I have time. Working nights tonight and leaving in an hour. Have Monday and Tuesday off though. It's the original d/l link on page one that you updated, right?

It's actually the attachment to this post.

Old Hand
Old Hand
[]Sky YYZ said:
Naw, I just needed examples to support my suggestion. I think by slurped you mean complimented, and yes, I was trying to be careful with my words so as not to insult anyone. By the way, what was the Florida incident? I'm a newbie to UBB.threads... was a .classic user for a couple of years before I hopped the fence. Also, where can I find that serverinfo.php you use? Is it available for d/l anywhere... it's pretty neat and I wouldn't mind verifying my hosts claim that they use P4 3.06GHz processors.

Omegatron, I'll download your update this week when I have time. Working nights tonight and leaving in an hour. Have Monday and Tuesday off though. It's the original d/l link on page one that you updated, right? [/]

no slurped means look at the Who's online..

[]
Mozilla/5.0 (Slurp/cat; [][email protected];[/] http://www.inktomi.com/slurp.html) />

slurp is
www.inktomi.com's bot.. its a Yahoo company but charges for inclusion

the google Florida incident.. ell that I will have to leave up to your imagination but it doesn't resolve around threads....

slayer60: Got it, thanks. Will update the Links mod this week.

scroungr: Thanks, will look into the Florida thing when I have more time... I'm curious. Also, I noticed inktomi has done a small crawl on my site (less than 1 mb) but I haven't paid them anything. It's been back 48 times according to my stats. I wonder why it came to begin with? Oh well, can't know everything all of the time

scroungr actually I updated the main first link as well to keep things current just as Allen did a week or so back and just because I think Mark's copyright should be back on there.

Old Hand
Old Hand
I agree didn't mean to implie I didn't I always leave a copyright note if there is one

Nope did not take it as that Just answering your question about whether I updated the first post as well

I may go through the couple remaining files for Mark and make sure this thing again is FULLY XHTML complaint as little changes here or there keeping blowing off the validation.

coffee and code
coffee and code
I'm very sorry - but I happen to be the culprit in removing the visible/display copyright notice from the code - although the copyright that appears at the begining of each script remained 100% intact and unchanged.

It was originally done just for display on my personal site and since none of my members have anything to do with programming/coding, nor could they ever afford ubbthreads software and would normaly opt for a freebie forums software if they felt like creating another specifically targeted resource such as what I currently run - i felt that having three lines of copyrite code display at the bottom of the page wouldnt be usefull to my members and may also look quite messy in presentation.

There was no intent in stealing your work - infact I saw your work as so great, that a few weeks after installing it and making so many display updates to it, I came to the conclusion that others would benefit from my small contributions/updates. So I re-uploaded it here, keeping all of your coded copyright notices intact and also including your original files into the archive.

All while doing that and finding that some of my additions to your code needed to be polished so they would work on everyone else's setup and their uniqueness (as mine was also quite unique), that I totally forgot to replace your visual copyright notices back into your scripts before redistributing them.

it was completely unintentional and i sincerely apologize for whatever frustration it may have caused you... that was not my intention - but i hope that this explanation of event sequences makes everything much more clear as how we got where we are now

Current developer of UBB.threads PHP Forum Software
Current Release: UBBT 7.7.5 // Preview: UBBT 8.0.0
isaac @ id242.com // my forum @ CelicaHobby.com
Coder
Coder
Can you please verify the structure of this .zip file? There are several copies of each file in different trees, and it's kind of confusing.

Thanks!

--------------------
Matt Reinfeldt
http://www.mattreinfeldt.com/
Page 5 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 10 11

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate Today!
Donate via PayPal

Donate to UBBDev today to help aid in Operational, Server and Script Maintenance, and Development costs.

Please also see our parent organization VNC Web Services if you're in the need of a new UBB.threads Install or Upgrade, Site/Server Migrations, or Security and Coding Services.
Recommended Hosts
We have personally worked with and recommend the following Web Hosts:
Stable Host
bluehost
InterServer
Visit us on Facebook
Member Spotlight
Gizmo
Gizmo
Portland, OR, USA
Forum Statistics
Forums63